• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton ESP Truck

papercu

The Marine Corps had/has a program for updating their 5t (M809/M939) trucks called MTVR ( Medium Tactical Vehicle Replacement). In the beginning (1999) both AM General and Oshkosh Truck Corporation submitted prototypes trucks for testing but Oshkosh Truck Corporation won the 10 year contract.
The Oshkosh Truck has the following:
• Oshkosh Double A-arm 6 Wheel Independent Suspension
• Caterpillar C12 425 HP Engine
• Allison HD 4070P 7-Speed Continuous Power Automatic Transmission
• Oshkosh Single-Speed Transfer Case
• Improved Starter and Cold Weather Starting Aid
• Automatic Traction Control (ATC)
• SAE J1708/J1939 Data Bus and Built-in Diagnostics
• Michelin R16.00x20 Radial Tires
• Eaton/Bosch Antilock Brakes
• Eaton Central Tire Inflation System
• All aluminum, collapsible hardtop cab
• Composite Hood
• ISO Capable Cargo Bed
Maybe your truck is one of the prototype from AM General? Wayne

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the beginning (1999) both AM General and Oshkosh Truck Corporation submitted prototypes trucks for testing but Oshkosh Truck Corporation won the 10 year contract.
Maybe your truck is one of the prototype from AM General? Wayne
I'd say it would have to be a prototype if Oshkosh won the production contract.

I'd try and get David Doyle on this and maybe give the numbers to Carnac and see what info he comes up with. I appears to be a very rare truck.

wehring

Nail on Head

Wayne hit it on the head. Right down the the single speed t-case.

The story has it that there were 12 of these made. Thanks for the info Wayne. Keep it coming guys...

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

pyrogod117

7 speed tranny with a 425hp cat must be night and day compared to the old style ones. The contract would end either last year or this year, depending when they signed it. So that means we won't see these trucks for what, 10-15 more years?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's like the 5.9 cummins powered deuces when they competed for the A3's. They never went into full production. Though, they should have.:cookoo:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know that truck! Good catch Justin! :jumpin:
When I bought my M813 from there many years ago, yours was parked next to it. I drooled over it, but at the time it was not for sale. The first thing I noticed different about it was the low set headlights.
It has been kept indoors most of the time since then.

In the attached picture, mine is in the foreground, yours is behind it. Only picture I have, as I didn't own a camera at the time :)roll:). My buddy took this one, I will see if he has any more from then.

Cheers

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
7 speed tranny with a 425hp cat must be night and day compared to the old style ones. The contract would end either last year or this year, depending when they signed it. So that means we won't see these trucks for what, 10-15 more years?
It may be worth pointing out that engine ratings are subject to duty cycle these days. From what I find on other Cat engines, the full power is only supposedly available at something like 30% on and 70% off (off=lower power output) timewise.
The continues duty power output is about 50% of the full power, so about 240 hp all day long...not so good for a 30,000 lb vehicle.
Compare the old multifuel engines, which are rated at 100% duty cycle, which means that you can run them all day at full listed power. Called Hercules on this and they confirmed that and I have myself driven the old deuce at full power for many hours on end without a problem, as a matter of fact it loves it at full or near full power.

It's a lot of selling hype out there, multifuel now means that an engine can run on JP8, D1, D2 and perhaps a heavier grade of diesel. Not the way it used to be.

Edit: Found this (image below)...maybe more than 50% at continuous duty, but you get the idea.

Attachments

Last edited:

wehring

Tires

I remember now why I don't like combat wheels and CTIS. :mad:

I spent all day yesterday removing the 14.5 tires and putting on 395 XZL tires. I took M1075s advice for the 395s. I will be able to compare them to the 1400s on the Pineapple Express in a few weeks. This is academic but I believe that the minor MPH lost (46" vs 49") will be out weighed by the power gain of the smaller OD tire.

Now for the important value...I really like how they look. :driver:

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

wehring

Info

OK I have been able to find a bit more info on this truck.

Engine - 3126 Caterpillar (H.U.E.I.)
300hp 2200rpm

Trans - MD3070PT Allison
R 4.80
1 7.63
2 3.51
3 1.91
4 1.43
5 1.00
6 .74
7 .69

T-case
Still don't know but it is not divorced!

The double OD (6 &7) on the trans is locked out when you lock the dif. The 7 on the display changes to 5.

From what I can gather this is the same power pack that is in the FMTV trucks.

Still learning...

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks