• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5-ton front fender longer than deuce?

rubicon_in_ga

This is probably a total noob question, and I did a search but couldn't find anything pertaining to this... Comparing the Deuce and the 5-tonners, one obvious difference is the wheel well opening and front fender length. The 5 ton wheel well looks almost comically long to me. Just looks like the front axle should be positioned farther back/centered in the wheel well rather than having that huge gap. Is there a practical, logistical, or operational reason for this?

M813A1

As you noted the 5 ton fender is longer on the M39 and M809 series truck from the Duece !! That is because the frame is slightly longer and the suspension is heavier !! also the Hood is longer on the M809 Series truck from the M39 !! The hood on a M39 should fit a Duece !!

jatonka

Well, the Deuce is shorter than the M39 series both hood and fenders. And, the M39 series is shorter than the 800 series, both hood and fenders, and, the 900 series is different than the 800 series, both hood and fenders. So... parts inter changeability doesn't pertain to those parts, Roger that? JT

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree. I love my wheel wells on the 814. Just reach in and work on what you need.

rubicon_in_ga

I guess I just don't understand why they didn't shorten the wheel wells instead of running them all the way back to the cab steps. I can understand the engine being bigger and the frame longer, therefore needing longer hood, sides, etc, but why have the huge gap between the front wheel and where the wheel well terminates at the back of the fender? Don't get me wrong, I love the 5 tonners... just kinda a wierd look for me.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is one of the aesthetic features I like most about the 5-Tons. The raked fenders give it an I-mean-business-look. But, as we all know with all things military form follows function. Seems to me, If moved father to the rear, the top loading differentials would interfere with the oil pan. It does make things easier to work on. Spencer likes to take cover under those fenders.

Attachments

Reactions: HDN

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is just speculation, but maybe the design and geometry of the front steering axle gives the heavier trucks more "sweep" of the knuckle and tire assembly during turns???

Rick

KsM715

The cab of the 800 series is the same as the deuce so it was easy to just start the fender there. Im guessing the axle was moved forward for weight balance.

lacoda56

IIRC, The 2 1/2, 5 and 10 ton cabs are intechangeable. The fenders start at the cab and go foreward. At first, I thought the 5 ton fenders looked wierd, but after 7 years of owning and working on them, I think they're pretty cool just the way they are!2cents

emr

yea thats a noob question for sure :) :) :) but really there are no better looking trucks in the world than all M series :) M series RULE!!!!!!!!!!!! so is the fender longer ? well the tire is bigger and there is more room around and behind it, ... just sayin :) could be... :) hope U have a sense of humor :) :) but really the approach angle to climb a 60 percent grade probably has alot to do with the placement of the axle, since this is the requirement of these vehicles... the load has nothing to do with it. :) approach angle could be.. :)

Last edited:

KsM715

.... but really the approach angle to climb a 60 percent grade probably has alot to do with the placement of the axle, since this is the requirement of these vehicles... the load has nothing to do with it. :) approach angle could be.. :)

I learn something new every time I come on this site.[thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks