• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton front width measurement needed please

area52

Can anyone with a 5 ton(M39 or M800 series) measure the widest point in front of the windshield?

Either the outside of the fenders or the hubs, which ever is wider?

I am looking at buying a gantry crane to do an engine swap and was wondering how wide of a stance do I need on the crane.

How high do you think I would need? 12 foot? 15 foot? I plan on pulling the cab off also and doing a cab swap.

thanks

TheBuggyman

I would think the five ton is about eight feet wide, plus or minus a little bit. It is the same cab as the deuce so you can figure that in.....

A ten foot wide gantry would work, the height is another thing.....

A chainfall will hang down a few feet when hooked to the trolley, with that said a ten foot height should suffice for an engine swap but for a cab swap I would think at least twelve to fourteen feet on the height.

I'm sure that someone here has done it and they will chime in soon. 8)

jimbo*

I think that M108 you've been looking at would be a lot more versatile and effective than a gantry crane. :mrgreen:
That being said, I have a gantry inside my shop (where the crane won't reach) and it is MUCH better than an engine hoist, and second only to an overhead crane.
Jimbo

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks