• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton front width measurement needed please

area52

Can anyone with a 5 ton(M39 or M800 series) measure the widest point in front of the windshield?

Either the outside of the fenders or the hubs, which ever is wider?

I am looking at buying a gantry crane to do an engine swap and was wondering how wide of a stance do I need on the crane.

How high do you think I would need? 12 foot? 15 foot? I plan on pulling the cab off also and doing a cab swap.

thanks

TheBuggyman

I would think the five ton is about eight feet wide, plus or minus a little bit. It is the same cab as the deuce so you can figure that in.....

A ten foot wide gantry would work, the height is another thing.....

A chainfall will hang down a few feet when hooked to the trolley, with that said a ten foot height should suffice for an engine swap but for a cab swap I would think at least twelve to fourteen feet on the height.

I'm sure that someone here has done it and they will chime in soon. 8)

jimbo*

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think that M108 you've been looking at would be a lot more versatile and effective than a gantry crane. :mrgreen:
That being said, I have a gantry inside my shop (where the crane won't reach) and it is MUCH better than an engine hoist, and second only to an overhead crane.
Jimbo