• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton Inner Seal Removal

ke5eua

Ok, I searched and got the deuce step by step guide. I got a harbor freight slide hammer but no luck on trying to remove it with that.

The tm just calls for an oil seal replacer, no real help there.

I read you can take it out from behind, this confuses me as the other end is the axle housing and I don't feel like removing the middle section.

Short of getting the torch and cutting it out can you give me a suggestion on a simple mans way of getting this darn thing out so I can finally put it all back together.

IMG_1234.jpg

Napa has this tool and I'm tempted as it's only 8 bucks

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...xe-Type-Seal-Puller/_/R-BK_7769235_0424508528
NWMDC.jpeg

I have read the tm, could probably recite it better than my kids information. Tanks were easier, just needed a big hammer, if it didn't come out get a bigger hammer, lol

helomech

We usually drill a small hole in the seal, and get a slide hammer with a screw on the end. Screw the screw into the hole and use the slide hammer. If that fails you can cut the old seal and remove in pieces if it is that stuck.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You will want to wail on that to get it out. We made our own adapter to get JW's out, it worked pretty good. Can you replace the sliding weight on your slide hammer with a bigger one? I've had to use a 15lbs weight on some stuff.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have both sides off? If so pipe running all the way through might be your choise or as said need more weight on the end of the slide. That seal puller will not work.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They can be a bear to get out. The seal is mounted in the sliver housing you can see. You can pull that out with a big slide hammer/puller.
Or you can pull the metal washer that covers the seal then pull the seal.
The problem that I have had is bending the metal washer getting it off so I just pull the complete mount and do it that way.
But it can be a (*&^%$ to get the housing out, on one truck I had the knock it out from the other side.

kcollum

I used a slide hammer with a two jaw puller without the jaws on it. placed the puller in behind the seal retainer with needle nose pliers and threaded the slide hammer in. What a pain in the rear with gloves on and wrapping the slide with a towel my hands hurt 20-30 minutes of hammering it finally came out. Someone put RTV on the retainer so I think that is why it was so hard. Don't give up it will come out.

ke5eua

What year is your truck.
'70

So I'm at my breaking point. Got a piece of stock just the size of the seal, put a strap around it, fished it inside and hooked the other end of the strap to the 4-wheeler. Tugged the winch in and all I did was drag a 800 pound 4wheeler. Tried yanking on it and all I did was rock the truck and I didn't want to knock it off the jack stands so I didn't continue.

So right now the truck is winning. It has broke me, I don't know now. What should have been a relative easy job has turned into nightmare on July street.

I have worked on M1's, M88's, wheeled vehicles that I swear never gave me so much grief.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You think the truck is wining, you just have to keep working at it, it will come out. You may have to take the other side apart and got to it from that side. If you do not have more jack stands, try to find some blocks of wood to set it on.

ke5eua

Time isn't a luxury on this unfortunately.

I'm going to take a break tomorrow and regroup.

The other issue is I have to figure out how to put the front axle shaft back together. I wasn't prepared for it to fall apart when I set it down in the wagon.

ke5eua

Your avatar picture looks like a kid who was looking at the bras and got into trouble. Lol
No, wife made me get in the cart and then she drug me to that section. My arthritis was bothering me, I had my cane but she insisted, and you can't argue with your wife.

Using the right tool for this procedure would have saved you alot of grief and prevented near catastrophic failure! View attachment 509936
I got a slide hammer from HB today but wasn't having any luck with it. Where did you get that one, that attachment looks like you could fit it between the washer and the seal and pull the washer then move to the seal.

The one I got the jaw attachment is to small to use as a brace to pull with.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks