• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton mf power steering pump on m35a2

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stay calm blackrock....:smile:: that is - or looks to be - the right pump, just as it comes out of the 5ton LDS465-1 & -1A engines!
And the way its plumbed there is no way that pump could work, other than with the "ring" in the "L" position. (... simply unscrew 4 bolts, pull cover and confirm...;-))
Another odd thing visible from outside: the manifold on your pump is the correct one, designed "MF" in the Vickers catalog (MF = cast W/ bypass tube), not a "ME"!
So definitely the stamped code does not correspond to what you have...

Another easy thing to check: push out retaining pin and pull plug#20. Then remove control valve#21 and read markings engraved on screw head: very likely you'll find "15" and not "20"...

My bet: that pump has been remanufactured, the housing is from something else and nobody took care at that time to what the code really means (or even less, re-stamp it), as long as it worked to specs.

If still in doubt you could do a test run with a 2000PSI pressure gauge T-ed to the output, or have it tested, to know for sure...

G.

blackrock

Stay calm blackrock....:smile:: that is - or looks to be - the right pump, just as it comes out of the 5ton LDS465-1 & -1A engines!
And the way its plumbed there is no way that pump could work, other than with the "ring" in the "L" position. (... simply unscrew 4 bolts, pull cover and confirm...;-))
Another odd thing visible from outside: the manifold on your pump is the correct one, designed "MF" in the Vickers catalog (MF = cast W/ bypass tube), not a "ME"!
So definitely the stamped code does not correspond to what you have...

Another easy thing to check: push out retaining pin and pull plug#20. Then remove control valve#21 and read markings engraved on screw head: very likely you'll find "15" and not "20"...

My bet: that pump has been remanufactured, the housing is from something else and nobody took care at that time to what the code really means (or even less, re-stamp it), as long as it worked to specs.

If still in doubt you could do a test run with a 2000PSI pressure gauge T-ed to the output, or have it tested, to know for sure...

G.

YOU ARE THE MAN!!!! i will begin surgery when i get home, take pics and post results.

Thanks Kyle

blackrock

Well gringeltaube, i have to say YOUR ARE THE MAN!!!!! Thank you for all the help

check one
content___media_external_images_media_437.jpg

check two
Darn, pics wont send from my phone, but IT SAYS 15!!!!

now since i have it apart where is the best place to buy a rebuild kit for them? just looking for the sealed bearing, needle bearings, gaskets,o rings and oil seal.

thanks kyle

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you solved at least part of all problems concerning your project!
Bearings and seals seem to be std.; they should be available online.

To all: guess we learned a lesson here: never fully trust the original dataplates and/ or stamped codes.... if it was (mil-) rebuilt :?

G.

blackrock

Gringeltaube, im going to use your pumps number as a reference for the rebuild kits. So far this is what i have come up with:

Seal kit= 922904
Cartridge shaft kit = 923091
Vane Kit = 922544

Just Google any of the above part numbers and you will find plenty of kits.

thanks kyle

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can understand that you want to replace the shaft seal and O-rings, and eventually the ball bearing (std #6203, sealed) also, but the vanes and other components? Is there that much wear? If so you may have to consider replacing the rotor and ring as well...

Anyways you could measure and compare the vanes before ordering new ones. Dimensions of brand new vanes for this model pump are: 23.4mm wide, 8.7-8.8mm long, 1.96-1.97mm thickness.

G.

blackrock

I can understand that you want to replace the shaft seal and O-rings, and eventually the ball bearing (std #6203, sealed) also, but the vanes and other components? Is there that much wear? If so you may have to consider replacing the rotor and ring as well...

Anyways you could measure and compare the vanes before ordering new ones. Dimensions of brand new vanes for this model pump are: 23.4mm wide, 8.7-8.8mm long, 1.96-1.97mm thickness.

G.

When i seen the price i changed my mind lol. im looking to do just the seals and bearings. thank you for the measurements, i will mic them when i get home and see how they spec out. i would say they are fine. thanks kyle

blackrock

jsut got an email back from
[FONT=&quot]Regards,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Flor Barrera[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]INTERNATIONAL fpa[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]43105 Business Park Drive[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Temecula[/FONT][FONT=&quot], CA 92590[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]P: (951) 676-2155[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]F: (951) 676-2156[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Website:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [FONT=&quot]www.intlfpa.comhttp://www.intlfpa.com/[/FONT][/FONT]

Seal kit = 922904
$23.63ea net … stock
Cartridge shaft kit= 923091
$146.48ea net … stock
Vane kit = 922544
$36.86ea net … del: 4-6 weeks approx.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did a search and nothing. I have never looked at the set up on a 5 ton multi but could the compleat system be taken off the 5 ton and put in a Deuce. I have someone that has the compleat system and motor he want to sell me?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even if it all came out of a Multifuel powered 5ton.... from looking at pics of the system I don't think that it would be a "practical" swap, much less a bolt-on operation. Since I don't have any 5tons around in my area I can't really say for sure how do-able it is or not, but for some reason it has never been reported here on SS, as been done successfully, at least lately.

Only found this old thread so far: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?7074-5-ton-p-s-2-1-2-ton-truck.html
Nothing has been heard from Ollie Davis...?

G.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I did a search and nothing. I have never looked at the set up on a 5 ton multi but could the compleat system be taken off the 5 ton and put in a Deuce. I have someone that has the compleat system and motor he want to sell me?

No. The steering box from a 5ton is mounted outside the frame and is WAY bigger than the space it would fit into. It might work if you only wanted to go left. rofl

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have heard these pumps have issues with the shafts snapping. I wonder if that "shaft kit" for 150.00 includes a new one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks