• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton mf power steering pump on m35a2

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Originally that small fitting connects to a smaller diameter return line, to the reservoir. I think it acts just an emergency line. In case the pump was "making" air or relieving very hot oil it would help to direct fluid directly back into the reservoir. It could very well be plugged since both, the large inlet and this small outlet port are internally connected.

G.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
................. Is it a good pump to have? Supposed to be off a 5 ton multifuel...........
Hard to tell .... does it look like the one in post #36? Did it come with the adapter flange and gear? Those two parts are the specific, hard to find items - not the pump itself, which you can find new for $150 (ebay)

I would open the pump cover for inspection, look for signs of wear and also pull the control valve to read markings. According to your stamped code the relief is set at 1000psi and it should say "10" on the valve's bolt head...

G.

andytk5

Did we ever find a supplier for these pumps? I have been looking at Vander Haags but they don't have it listed. Some on Ebay but missing the gear/plate like mentioned earlier. Seems they are near $500 from Mil. equip guys and others. Any cheaper places?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I could not find a part number or identifying mark on the one I have sitting on the shelf. Anyone good with TMs that might be able to find a part # for the gear?

wdbtchr

I bought a new pump from Memphis Equipment for just under $400 two summers ago. I took in my old pump and they transfered the fittings, gear and adapter over while I waited for no charge. The also pulled the pump apart and confirmed the vanes were installed to pump in the right direction.

If you get a new pump that won't work the vanes may be set to pump in reverse rotation. The guys at Memphis always check because they can come from the factory installed either way.2cents

andytk5

Has anybody used a belt driven pump that meets the same specs but isn't $400+ dollars? Surely there has to be something, how is the pump setup on those medium duty ford LN trucks that we get the steering gears out of?

Bringing this back...

A couple of months I ordered a rebuilt pump from TNJ Murray as well. They sent it out right away and it included the mounting bracket. They forgot to include the gear. I tried contacting them for about a week with no success. Finally I got a hold of the man and told him they forgot the gear. He promised he'd send it out the next day. Two weeks later, it hadn't arrived, so I started calling again. Again, it took about a week to get the right guy. He told me that the guy who originally packaged my pump swore he put the gear in the box and asked me to check again. It wasn't in the box... So he promised to send it out the next day...AND HE DID! I have a nice rebuilt Vickers pump with a brand new mounting flange and brand new gear. I finally got around to finding a nut to fit on the gear today.

Now I'm hunting for the gasket between the flange and engine and the gasket between the flange and pump. Any ideas? I'd rather not make them out of construction paper if it's not too difficult to buy them.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
you will see from my steering kit page, i plan to sell just the pump mount and gear if you wat just that part. SS price would be $350 plus shipping. this is for NEW parts. by the end of this week i hope to have a permanent supply of new pumps
tom