• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton radio antena

panzerwillie

Did any 5 ton tractor come with radio like my M52A2 and if so where was the antena mounted and what type of radio did they use any pictures would be nice ot a TM thanks;-)

wsucougarx

considering the era, one of the posible radio's was more than likely an Rt-524a/VRC. Antenna could have been mounted anywhere behind the cab or perched up on the convoy light support. Many different possibilities on the antenna mount mounting locations.

KsM715

Heres what my truck came with from GL

Theres no radio mount, but there is a speaker mounted in the corner right behind the passegers right shoulder.

Attachments

panzerwillie

great information guys , i like the set up behind the toolbox, may go that rouet , i have 2 m35a3 seats if i do a radio i think will install it between seats, keep the info coming.... :idea:

mckeeranger

Because the M817s have a "headache rack" above the cab, they can't have the antenna mounted around the back. They have them mounted to the cowl, over the side vent. (see pic one) There is a little bracket that moves the mirror mount out of the way of the antenna, but I took it off. Don't worry, I have it. I keep everything.

The co-ax wires run along the side of the floor board, below the door. They have a metal cover to protect them that also blocks the drain holes. If you deep ford, you have to wait for the water to drain through all the small holes in the floor. (see pic two)

Pardon the messy floor board, it's been a nasty winter here. :|

Attachments

Orionspath

While we are on the subject, could anyone elaborate on the placement of an antenna mount for the 2.5 ton? I have procured a mount, sugar scoop and the stand off block (looks like it mounts to side of the bed)
:cookoo:

I'd like to move forward on placing this in the coming weeks if it ever warms up here.......

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Saw this post and was thinking back to what I rememberd on that particular install,the common mt in my area was a mt that stradeled the cab air vent on the passenger side and mounted a standard "Sugar Scoop" have also seen a front fender mt(got some NOS ones of this one) I'll try to scan some of my reference photos and post them.

popacom.........KI4QQB in KY:beer:

Armada

i can seen to make the link work is there another way to see the pictures
Not sure why it wont take you to the thread with the pics? Seems to be working fine. Try it again. springer seat I dont have the photos with me or I would repost them.

Last edited: