• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton saving a D5 Caterpillar

jd-ford-hd

My buddy stuck his D5N the other day. He has always helped me out so I jumped at the chance to help him. Anchored to two trees the M818 idled the Cat out of its quagmire..!! Used a snatch block on the dozer draw bar to double the line pull. He was pizzed cuz he was stuck, but I was enjoying it...!!

Attachments

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
My buddy stuck his D5N the other day. He has always helped me out so I jumped at the chance to help him. Anchored to two trees the M818 idled the Cat out of its quagmire..!! Used a snatch block on the dozer draw bar to double the line pull. He was pizzed cuz he was stuck, but I was enjoying it...!!
I wouldn't rub it in too much...well...yes I would...LOL:D

Attachments

jd-ford-hd

Not sure which one I'm more jealous of. The cat or the truck nice work making me jealous.
You would love to see all of his equipment. He is a one man operation and keeps his D5, 955 loader, Cat backhoe and Bobcat skidsteer looking like new all the time. It was killing him to see his baby down in the mud..! He won't even haul it when the roads are wet (seriously) much less when it is raining...!

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a nice Caterpillar, but it is built for dirt work, not for out in the woods. No Winch = Trouble.

I'd hate to have to explain just how I know that. :beer:

KsM715

You got him out with out damaging your truck, that's good. But I would never anchor the winch truck down like that, you're just asking for trouble. You should have used a scotch anchor to chock the front wheels. That way you won't pull your truck apart.

Attachments

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So whats the proble with anchoring the winch truck by the pintle? If you do not exceed the pintle rating seems like the logical way to anchor if a suitable anchor is avaiilable.
That is what we use when we double up recovery vehicles?

Now I gotta know?

jd-ford-hd

The scotch anchor is a "last resort" method for an open range situation. Anchoring in the pintle is the strongest possible point on the truck. The forces at work are transmitted longitudinally through the truck frame all the way to the winch. There was absolutely no possible way for the frame to bend with all forces working in a straight line. Sheared bolts are a possibility. I would NEVER scotch the wheels to winch. Forces are then put on spindles, tie rods, springs and hangers...!! With the dozer helping my truck did not strain a bit.

lacoda56

Good job on the recovery, and I don't think you need to worry about bending your frame with a straight pull. If you have the proper shear pin in the winch drive shaft, you won't pull your truck apart either.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
HE ANCHORED just like the Fm-20-22 (Vehicle Recovery Operations) tells you to do. This was a text book recovery, do not see HOW he could have done better, everything from the tree savers on TWO different trees to the LONG cable so he had a EMPTY drum.

A RELL DONE winch job done with the proper gear and rigging [thumbzup] :beer:

Last edited:

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anybody have any tips on the proper way to winch and additional equipment needed. My truck has a winch and the only time I used it was to see if it worked.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks