• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton winch chain and hook?

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My information has the 2-1/2 ton (10,000# winch 1/2" rope) and the 5 ton (20,000# winch 5/8" rope) as having the same lead chain, just as doghead mentioned. The minimum breaking strength of 1/2" series 70 chain is over 45,000#. Winching operations typically use a 2:1 safety factor. Commercial ratings for chain are typically 4:1, lifting is 5:1 (overhead). In ALL cases, the hooks should be the weak link, they should spread before the rope or chain fails. We have proven this over and over when we proof assemblies. Do not put a series 100 hook on series 70 chain, components should be load matched. Grab hooks reduce chain strength by 30%. The typical lead chain is 5', but then we have all seen wide variations of that. The critical part is the installation of the spelter and ASSURING that the rope does not corrode at the spelter termination.

wdbtchr

Is the spelter what connects the wire rope to the chain lead? I ask because I pulled the end off the cable on my 5 ton winching logs up a hill. I couldn't locate the information on the connector so I went with a civi wedge lock type connector and a Crosby clamp for the 5/8" cable. Couple of coats of 383 and it looks original to the eye.

rwoods

Is the spelter what connects the wire rope to the chain lead? I ask because I pulled the end off the cable on my 5 ton winching logs up a hill. I couldn't locate the information on the connector so I went with a civi wedge lock type connector and a Crosby clamp for the 5/8" cable. Couple of coats of 383 and it looks original to the eye.
If you want to replace it with the standard end, you can contact the manufacturer and they'll refer you to a dealer. This is where I got mine thanks to:

post #3 (permalink)

Recovry4x4
Fleet Admiral/Moderator
Recovry4x4's Profile Fields

RE: deuce winch question ??
The termination at the end of the cable is made by Esmet, Manufacturer of Tufloc High Security Products, Electroline Wire Rope Terminations and Tufloc High Security Locks
It is the Electroline series. I had an NOS one but recently gave it up for a friend in need. Dunno what they cost new.

Deuce Czar!

2 Deuces, 1 CUCV and 5 Trailers.

T
his Steel Soldier Honors the Living Memory of David Frankenhauser, 1954-2009.
May you Sail in the Grace of Our Lord, Chaplain!

“The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results.” James 5:16.

Ron

vinny-socom1

So is the cable on the 5ton 5/8? would 9/16 work? I have 1/2 on mine and was thinking I might want to put the correct size on.
Also looks like it should have 287 feet of cable too. is this correct? I've only seen around 200-210 feet on a winch before.
Vinny

Bobbed4x4

Banned
I was looking for a winch lead chain for my deuce, but the stock one was just.... well, not big enough. So, I ended up talking with a place in Salt Lake City, and bought 5 feet of 3/4" grade 100 chain with an overhead WLL of 36,000 #, and as you may or may not know, to be overhead rated, they cut the regular rating 3X, so that puts this chains WLL to over 100,000 pounds for regular applications. While it's not "original" I prefer the looks of the BIG chain up there. The chain, hook, and bolt cost me just over $100 new.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks