• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5-ton winch on m35a2

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I may know where I can get ahold of a winch off a 5-ton. How hard is it to mount it on a m35a2? I know there is a member that has done this but I can't remember who it is. I just need to know if it will bolt up without major modification.

acetomatoco

Better to get the winch and trade it for the Deuce one...however, anyone with a load of scrap metal, and torches and drills can mount the winch on a Deuce... it will not be pretty....

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: 5-ton winch on m35a2

acetomatoco said:
Better to get the winch and trade it for the Deuce one...however, anyone with a load of scrap metal, and torches and drills can mount the winch on a Deuce... it will not be pretty....
I have fabed winches on the back of big rigs so I know I can do it I guess I was really wanting to know how it would look if you had to do a bunch of fab work. Massm35a2 I think answered that. Looks like it sticks out alot further than a duece winch. Am I right?

acetomatoco

All that extra weight further out front is not going to make the life of the steering components very happy. I question comment "hook up the hydraulics".. As these were driven by shaft and pto in their original config.

Massm35a2

acetomatoco said:
All that extra weight further out front is not going to make the life of the steering components very happy. I question comment "hook up the hydraulics".. As these were driven by shaft and pto in their original config.
I have a hydraulic motor hooked to my winch where the PTO shaft would be, I think it is this way because the deuce PTO is on the drivers side and the 5 ton is on the passengers side, so the shaft would not work.

spicergear

The worm gears can be flipped so that it can be spun 180* in the truck and still driven down the driver's side. Mine tucks in a little more than any others would because my CAT V8 is shorter and I moved my radiator back a little bit. For locational reference, my back strap on the winch is 1/8" ahead of the front cross member in the frame AND my bumper face is only 12-1/2" from the grill. If you take off the roller fairleads it will make a big difference in length too. Later trucks ran oil motors on the winch. Here's a pic of my load of scrap metal, not pretty, aborted attempt at mounting this contraption:

Attachments

CGarbee

Re: RE: 5-ton winch on m35a2

acetomatoco said:
Better to get the winch and trade it for the Deuce one...
If you wanted to follow ACE's advice and swap for a duece winch, I have one that I would love to trade for a five ton winch... The more I look at my M35A2C and how I use it, the less that I want one on the duece...
I'd really like to have a winch on my M817... :)

I'm in NC, so working the swap shouldn't be too hard...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks