• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5-ton winch on m35a2

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I may know where I can get ahold of a winch off a 5-ton. How hard is it to mount it on a m35a2? I know there is a member that has done this but I can't remember who it is. I just need to know if it will bolt up without major modification.

acetomatoco

Better to get the winch and trade it for the Deuce one...however, anyone with a load of scrap metal, and torches and drills can mount the winch on a Deuce... it will not be pretty....

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: 5-ton winch on m35a2

acetomatoco said:
Better to get the winch and trade it for the Deuce one...however, anyone with a load of scrap metal, and torches and drills can mount the winch on a Deuce... it will not be pretty....
I have fabed winches on the back of big rigs so I know I can do it I guess I was really wanting to know how it would look if you had to do a bunch of fab work. Massm35a2 I think answered that. Looks like it sticks out alot further than a duece winch. Am I right?

acetomatoco

All that extra weight further out front is not going to make the life of the steering components very happy. I question comment "hook up the hydraulics".. As these were driven by shaft and pto in their original config.

Massm35a2

acetomatoco said:
All that extra weight further out front is not going to make the life of the steering components very happy. I question comment "hook up the hydraulics".. As these were driven by shaft and pto in their original config.
I have a hydraulic motor hooked to my winch where the PTO shaft would be, I think it is this way because the deuce PTO is on the drivers side and the 5 ton is on the passengers side, so the shaft would not work.

spicergear

The worm gears can be flipped so that it can be spun 180* in the truck and still driven down the driver's side. Mine tucks in a little more than any others would because my CAT V8 is shorter and I moved my radiator back a little bit. For locational reference, my back strap on the winch is 1/8" ahead of the front cross member in the frame AND my bumper face is only 12-1/2" from the grill. If you take off the roller fairleads it will make a big difference in length too. Later trucks ran oil motors on the winch. Here's a pic of my load of scrap metal, not pretty, aborted attempt at mounting this contraption:

Attachments

CGarbee

Re: RE: 5-ton winch on m35a2

acetomatoco said:
Better to get the winch and trade it for the Deuce one...
If you wanted to follow ACE's advice and swap for a duece winch, I have one that I would love to trade for a five ton winch... The more I look at my M35A2C and how I use it, the less that I want one on the duece...
I'd really like to have a winch on my M817... :)

I'm in NC, so working the swap shouldn't be too hard...