• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Tons under a deuce

55Cameo

The only problem with the rice and canes is that it isn't street legal with them on it. I really don't have any problems with the xzl's when there is a little water in the hole to help wash them out. The problem comes in when it is sticky mud, the Deuce does not have enough power to spin them hard enough to clean them out. Maybe with the 5.9 you won't have that problem. :)

55Cameo

Also, unless you put some lift on it those rice and canes are going to play heck on the front fenders when it articulates. I know it doesn't articulate much, but they would be pretty close without lift.

USMC6062

They're too expensive to run on the street anyways. My ultimate plan would be run the XZL's on the street to the mudhole, then swap them for some rice and canes and play in the mud. They do make radial tractor tires, but you wouldn't want to drive them on the street probably either.

USMC6062

I'll lift my deuce a little when I bob it. I plan on going with 4", maybe 6" by either splitting a piece of box tubing into C-channel, or have some steel broke to size. The cheapest route is using another deuce frame like you did, but I really don't want to lift it that high. Do you really use all 8" of lift with the XZL's? If so I may need to go that route, but when I test fitted them on the front, it looked like it only needed a little bit over stock to clear even when articulated.

55Cameo

It does not need all 8" for the tires to clear. It was the easiest to do that way for me and it never hurts to have a little more clearance when in deep water. Also it gave me more room if I wanted to put bigger rice and canes on at a later date. I have some friends with 60" tires that will bolt on to give it a try. :shock:

USMC6062

Well this idea is becoming a reality. I got another deuce to bob, I decided to leave my first one stock, I have become too attached to it as is to cut up. I picked up a set of 5 Tons this weekend. I have all the parts for this project, now I just need to put them together. I'm bobbing this truck and going with a M105 bed. I have a set of 16R20 XZL's, 20 stud beadlock combat rims, power steering setup from a 5 Ton, 5 Ton axles, and a section of 5 Ton and 2.5 Ton frame to stack under the stock one for lift. I'm using the 5 Ton section under the front for 9" of lift and the 2.5 Ton section under the rear for 8" of lift. I have a set of 5 Ton springs and hangers I may use under the front, but haven't decided if I'm gonna use them or not. I don't want to make it a lot stiffer than it already is. So far I got the beds switched out to see how much I need to cut off the frame. Next I need to go through the 5 Ton axles and make sure they aren't all screwed up inside or something. I got a bunch of work ahead of me, but I will try and keep updates posted on here when I get something done to it.

Attachments

frankieboy

How do you get around the fact that the 1600s damn near touch the fender and the underside of the M105 bed? While the tires make them more capable off-road in theory and the truck looks like something out of the monster truck circuit if you like that sort of thing, I bet the tires hinder the truck's performance. What happens when the springs deflect slightly? Do the tires rub the fenders? It really does not look like 1600s fit properly, but I suppose that is personal taste.

frankieboy

I must have missed that. Thanks for the explanation. I suppose I was referring to several of the other deuces with 1600s on them. Good luck with your conversion.

USMC6062

I'm not gonna give away part numbers, mainly because I may try to build these as a kit. I have to get some of the time involved to make/machine parts down to make them even close to affordable. Also I want to wait until I put them under my truck to see how well they work.