• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

50's model Deuce with Hercules Gas Engine

cutnhaul

Hi all,

One of my buddies found out that I had a deuce and told me he had one and wanted me to look at it. I went over to his house last sunday and saw it. It appears to be a 50's model REO (?) deuce with a hard shell on the back. also in the back is a LeRoi engine coupled to a 25 kV Westinghouse AC/DC generator. The truck is blue with silver rims (probably not original paint). Anyways, I was trying to do some research on it and it appears that REO used their Gold Comet engine in their deuces. Well, this truck has a 6 cyl Hercules gas motor in it. At least the manifold says Hercules Engines. So i am at a loss in determining what model of truck this is. The truck has no data plates or anything on the dash. It has a 4 speed trans with hi/lo range but it also has what appears to be a splitter on the side of the shift lever. I went out today and attempted to crank it. It turned over but would not start (probably bad coil). I am not even sure I have all the knobs in the right place on the dashboard. I only have experience with a multi fuel deuce. Any and all help in determining model of this truck or why it has a Hercules gas engine would be greatly appreciated. Truck has been converted to 12v with electric fuel pump. I am using a mower tank right now as gas tank is completely gunned (been sitting for 10 years). It was used at a local university as a mobile power unit for movie production and as a prop. There is a host of spare parts in the rear of the truck. if anyone has any information or knows where i could find a manual I would greatly appreciate it! (already checked TMs but couldn't see one for gas engines).

Jeepsinker

Posting a few pictures would help us to quickly determine the exact make and model.

Does it have any doors on the cab? It could possibly be a cckw. No telling without pics though.

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mystery truck

I thought I saw an M54? with a Hercules in it. That would be cool if it was a big ol' 5 ton. Wiki say Continental so my hope may be dashed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M54_(truck)

Standard transmission? You said 4 speed but didn't specify if there was a third pedal.

The G749 is a 4 speed auto, high/low on a rectangular tower next to the pedal. Some have a REB shifter on the side but it is nothing like a "4 on the floor".

tower goose.jpg

Here's a Picture Posting tutorial if you're hoping to help us with photos. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?59917-How-to-post-pictures-a-tutorial

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Hard to say front these pics. It doesn't really strike me as a Diamond T. Anxious to see what others say!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The mighty White 666, 6 ton 6x6, Hercules HXD power 855 cubic inches. Same truck as my avitar. I have two and they are my favorite truck of all time but I digress. I think the body on yours is original military from WWII.

cutnhaul

The mighty White 666, 6 ton 6x6, Hercules HXD power 855 cubic inches. Same truck as my avitar. I have two and they are my favorite truck of all time but I digress. I think the body on yours is original military from WWII.
Here are more pictures

Attachments

cutnhaul

Also, has anyone ever seen a truck with the hard back shell like this one with a generator setup? Im guessing could have been a Signal Corps truck?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, has anyone ever seen a truck with the hard back shell like this one with a generator setup? Im guessing could have been a Signal Corps truck?
I have never seen one and my guess is you are the only person that has other than the owner. I believe this one is the only one in existence. I know of only about 20 "666" trucks in the United States and maybe 30 in Europe. This is out of about 10,000 wartime production. A rare truck indeed, especially with the early closed cab. I think yours was overhauled by SECO (Southeastern) in Augusta in the 1970's. They used that color blue.

fasttruck

"Splitter" on the side of the gearshift is a lockout to prevent the transmission from being inadvertently shifted into reverse. If engien cranks and does not start what is the status of the choke ? The adjustment for this is finicy and large has engines can be difficult to start without the right combination of choke and throttle.

cutnhaul

I have never seen one and my guess is you are the only person that has other than the owner. I believe this one is the only one in existence. I know of only about 20 "666" trucks in the United States and maybe 30 in Europe. This is out of about 10,000 wartime production. A rare truck indeed, especially with the early closed cab. I think yours was overhauled by SECO (Southeastern) in Augusta in the 1970's. They used that color blue.
It has the number 24 in several places on the truck. The top of the cab is almost rusted through and the windshield is busted, which is a pity. The paint is peeling but the rest of the truck is in surprisingly good shape. So the generator set would have been military installed?

cutnhaul

"Splitter" on the side of the gearshift is a lockout to prevent the transmission from being inadvertently shifted into reverse. If engien cranks and does not start what is the status of the choke ? The adjustment for this is finicy and large has engines can be difficult to start without the right combination of choke and throttle.
What exactly do you mean by status of the choke? It moves freely, but there are two knobs labeled choke. one goes to carburetor, the other goes to somewhere near distributor cap. I wish i had a manual for this truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks