• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

50's model Deuce with Hercules Gas Engine

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It has the number 24 in several places on the truck. The top of the cab is almost rusted through and the windshield is busted, which is a pity. The paint is peeling but the rest of the truck is in surprisingly good shape. So the generator set would have been military installed?
I don't think the number 24 is from the military. Yes, the generator powered the radar set. If it looks like a factory installation, then yes it is correct.

The Hercules is one of those super simple engines. You really don't need much in the way of manuals to work on it. Pull the choke to choke it. Clean up the points. Fresh gas and it should come to life. It needs a LOT of gas to run. I would prime it with a shot glass full of gas to start with. The transmission in non-synchromesh, you have to double clutch it. The engine has a firm redline of 2100 RPM. 30 mph tops.

cutnhaul

I don't think the number 24 is from the military. Yes, the generator powered the radar set. If it looks like a factory installation, then yes it is correct.

The Hercules is one of those super simple engines. You really don't need much in the way of manuals to work on it. Pull the choke to choke it. Clean up the points. Fresh gas and it should come to life. It needs a LOT of gas to run. I would prime it with a shot glass full of gas to start with. The transmission in non-synchromesh, you have to double clutch it. The engine has a firm redline of 2100 RPM. 30 mph tops.
There is a reservoir with a cap right above th alternator. What type of fluid if any goes in there?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I dont need to put anything in there? I can see a big gear inside the reservoir.[/QUOTE

OK, I made a mistake. Above the generator is the air compressor, which is lubed by the engine oil. The governor is on the opposite side of the engine, connected to the base of the carb.

cutnhaul

I hope to return to work on the truck this weekend. If I do, I will get some full-truck pictures. We pulled it out of the weeds and trees so now I can capture the whole thing.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Between the 855 cid gas Herc under the hood and the giant gas Buda in back, if someone started using this truck and the generator they could single-handedly end the oil price glut.

cutnhaul

Does anyone have an idea of the value of the truck? The guy's son desperately wants to get it off their property because he sees it as an eyesore. however, from what you all have been telling me, it may be a gem. I don't want to lowball him.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
As I have said for every MV Start at scrap value and see if a higher value can be proven from there. Being rare just means parts are not plentiful and might be big $$$.

cutnhaul

Well I was able to obtain pictures of the title. The truck is a 1943 White "666" #24 as designated on the title. It is the original title from 1960 when Bob Jones University in Greenville, SC purchased the truck to use as a mobile power source.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is too funny. A truck model "666" was owned by the most religiously conservatve christian university in the US.

dmetalmiki

A rare and fabulous looking truck, and all that original kit. That is all well worth restoring and preserving. I did think it was an Auto car or a White.

Last edited:

cutnhaul

well my schedule has prevented me from going back to work on the truck since early june. however, i am going to attempt to start it today. Can anyone give me a starting procedure? want to make sure all knobs and dials are in the right place. consulting the T M now...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks