• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

52' M35A2C bobbed build thread

DFD2010-A

Yes it is! Bobby is a great guy and has always treated me well. He does everything from oil changes to building one off custom trucks, 937-278-8682 is the number to the shop.

Varyag

Looks like it is going to be fun. Your original tires are about as bad as the ones that came on my truck. Mine is a 70 and that is the year on all of my wheels.

I bet I know what Gimp is going to do with that bed. My dad was telling me about the one currently on his truck.

DFD2010-A

I think it'll be a lot of fun! Yes the rubber is working it's way to bald, trying to get my hands on a wheel/tire combo but haven't made up my mind yet exactly what I want....oh well I'll figure it out soon enough. I can only imagine what he has in store for the old bed.....

DFD2010-A

Thanks to CARNAC I got the low down on my truck today...turns out I DO NOT have a 52' AM General (surprise) is is actually a 1972 Kaiser Jeep. Now I get to make a phone call to the title agency, registration and insurance!:D

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Initially Kip was going to put the bed on his truck. He has had second thoughts about it. If he decides not to swap, I want to put it on a 200 trailer for a cool road train. The side of my bed that got bent at Haspin will spend some time getting "pressed" back to shape by my wrecker boom!

bigmech

bobbing a duece

When I shortened my truck I chose not to go with a longer more expensive driveshaft. I just cut out the front of the 105 bed to clear the rear cab mount and then boxed it in with the same gage metal. It just take up about as much as a suitcase would. This way the truck is even shorter and the axle will line up with the fenderwell . The driveshaft still has to be allowed to slide back about one inch to make the axle centered in the wheel well but mine held up great , and is still doing well that way. All and all it just saves the cost of driveshaft modifications. The sheetmetal work is cheaper and easier.

DFD2010-A

Interesting idea....wish I would have heard that before he sent the old drive shaft out for modification! Oh well only gonna have about 100 bucks in it!

BTW to all following this build (if there's anyone) went to check progress today with camera in hand. Truck hasn't been touched since last Thursday. He's been busy with other projects and hasn't had any time to get his hands back on mine. I'll get something up as soon as progress is made. Stinks though, looks like I need to tack at least another week on the time frame. :cry:

DFD2010-A

finally a MUCH NEEDED update! I backed off for a while and let him get caught up on his other projects. I went up today just to see what was going on and boy was I excited! Old springs off, new springs put in place. Driveshaft removed and off to be modified. My new 1400R20's were in the shop, just didn't get a picture of those. Progress left to be made : drill holes and weld on M35 springs, cut frame, re-attach new driveshaft and mount the bed! I'm bringing home the 4 wheels/tires off the rear axle, going to paint those and mount the new 1400's for the drive home. Also, thanks to Gimp I've got some killer air ride seats to get installed. Things are moving along quickly now, hope to have her home soon!

Attachments

DFD2010-A

Sorry that was my typo, clearly was going faster than my mind could think...should have said "drill holes and BOLT on M35 springs...." good call. And that axle pic is for you Chris, she's all ready to go! My plan is to get a trailer up there Tuesday and get the axle, four stock wheels/tires and the new 1400's loaded up and bring em home. Give me a call so we can work out a time.

DFD2010-A

Brought home the 1400's today, thanks for the tips I received on a good deal for the tires!![thumbzup] 95% tread and didn't break the bank. Quick question for anyone willing to answer, if I plan on running the rear wheels dish-out is there a need still to flip the hubs, or will it track the same? Also, still on the search for a hardtop if anyone may know a location for one of those (I have a classified posted already) Thanks!

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Your tires will probably stick out past the bed if you run dish out AND flip the hubs. How much work are you willing to do on a hard top? I might be able to get one that needs some "work". :)b

DFD2010-A

Update time....

Yesterday I got some free time and the help of a friend to go up and get the springer and bench seat out of the cab and test fit the new air ride in. Looks like I'm going to have a plate made that fits the factory bolt holes the springer sat on and weld the base of the new seats to that. Just need to get my dimensions and have it made! Also while I was up there I noticed quite a bit of progress had been made so I figured I would post some pictures of that. Guys at the shop said it should be done by next week, can't wait to get her back on the road!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks