• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5th gear noise. I am guessing this is not suppose to move.

CMXterra

More important - why did the teeth break off, and can anything be done to prevent recurrence?
Unless in its life before me it was abused, then no idea. My only guess was a defect in the gear from the start.

I was on flat a road, not towing anything, gear oil was at the correct level and not being stupid with the throttle.
So if it was something I did I sure can not figure it out.

Edit to add. My father is a metalurgist so I am going to try to get the damaged gear to him to see if he can see where the fracture started.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those gears didn't fail without a very significant reason. It looks like the straight cut gear failed because it wasn't fully meshed when the load was applied. I don't have a guess on the other. Also, parts don't necesswarly just settle to the bottom. There is significant agitation in there, at roadspeed. Uncle Sam didn't go to automatic transmissions, without good reason.

nosajb15af

I assume you mean on a used shaft. with all that metal running around in the oil, I doubt the bearings were in usable shape, but you will be the first to know!
Well Tom, I decided to take your advice and change all bearings. The old felt good, but there was just too much uncertainty the more I thought about it. Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks