• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5Ton Dump Question

Iski

Hello, a friend asked if a 5Ton surplus dump truck is good to use as a Dump truck for light duty landscaping. I don't know much about the 5 Tons. Any advice on if they would make a good light duty Dump. Say to pull a 12,000lb backhoe and some dirt? Also which model has the fewest problems etc.

Thanks

Sephirothq

Well the newest model out on surplus would be a M939 series truck. It is an automatic, full air brake and either a 855 250 ntc cummins with 11.00 x 20 duals or 14.00x 20 singles both radial tires or a 8.3 6 cta cummins with CTIS and 14.00 tires. These are currently being sold on GL. Bigger cabs then the older trucks and a bit more advanced.

The older trucks are the m817 with bias ply non directional tires, 5 speed manual transmission, 855 250 ntc cummins air over hydraulic brakes. These pop up from time to time on GL but most are gone out of the system. A good sound basic truck. An upgrade to the M51 type truck.

I also know of a M51? with bias ply non directional tires, 5 speed manual transmission, multi fuel LDS 465, air over hydraulic brakes. Out of the system sometimes pop up on GSA but almost all are gone out of the system. early type truck.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I figure slow and hope you got no hills. 6 tons of backhoe 3 tons of trailer and 5 tons of dirt yea real slow with the Cummins 250. I think they would make better on sight trucks. Think if I were to gear up and wanting to work I would stay away from Military if travling or speed is a concern but they will pull. I'm not bad mouthing them I love them.

Iski

Slow is not a problem. He asked me when He saw my 2nd Deuce if it could be a dump truck. After after a little thinking I was worried that a Deuce is just not enough truck. I don't know anything about the 5Tons and wondered which one of the 5Tons was better. Sound like if your going to use it that newer is better. I also wonder what the premium on cost is to get a dump over a troop carrier?
Thanks

grunex125

I figure slow and hope you got no hills. 6 tons of backhoe 3 tons of trailer and 5 tons of dirt yea real slow with the Cummins 250. I think they would make better on sight trucks. Think if I were to gear up and wanting to work I would stay away from Military if travling or speed is a concern but they will pull. I'm not bad mouthing them I love them.
I agree they do make exellent site trucks, best part is that most of them are so simple to work on that you can make darn near all your repairs right onsite. My logging operations would be severely hampered without something to haul from the woods to landing. skidders are alright, but seems faster to cut to length for me and load near where I'm cutting.
just my two cents

cumminsbandit

How strong are the hoists on these trucks? We would like to get 2-3 trucks for our sand pit operation but would need to put tall side bords on em so we could actually get something done. Anyone have experience with how much they will lift?

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How strong are the hoists on these trucks? We would like to get 2-3 trucks for our sand pit operation but would need to put tall side bords on em so we could actually get something done. Anyone have experience with how much they will lift?
I've hauled a good amount of gravel/sand with my 817. It holds right up to 10 tons without sides. Anything more (especially off road, where these trucks were made for 5 tons) might push it's limits.

mcmullag

Lots of variables here..... the 900 series is rated to pull 15,000 lbs but that may not be enuf for backhoe and trailer, the 939 I am talking about. Also with the wedge type air brakes that is different than commercial trucks so long term maintenance and parts may be a problem. I just don't know about this application being a good idea. the military dumps seem like they would be good for quarry or always off-road type of life, if used011.jpg in the civilian world. I just use my 923a2 for parades and hauling a 2x4 from Home Depot, it's my pickup truck.

tobyS

My $.02 as that's what I'm up to...making a (925) cargo dump.

First, one must have hydraulics. Now on my 6th truck from GL, I have a freshly rebuilt 925 for the purpose. Having the winch gives one a PTO, driveshaft, pump, valve and tank with cab controls. There is about $1500-2500 of purchases to get those items if you start with a 923. With a 925, you will need to enlarge the hydraulic tank capacity.

Then there is the cylinder issue. Choose from one telescoping, two telescoping or a scissor with one or two cylinders. Prices vary, but my personal preference is one telescoping at the bed front. Some people say a scissor can be less prone to racking on a hill, but get out your checkbook for one with the capacity and travel.

Now the model and year. You can get a 925 (or 923) with basic, A1 or A2 wheel/engine options. Basic uses dual 11.00R20 tires on the rear and has more and wider area touching the ground...they are said to be a bit more stable and run smoother on pavement. I choose the duals over singles myself, as I will be on the road more. But with that choice, I limited my engine to the NHC 250 and do not have a turbo 8.3. I compare engines and noticed a large size difference. The 250 is a lot larger in physical size and weight.

If you choose the super singles, you have choice of earlier A1 and the later A2. The large tire look sexy, but if one goes out, your down until repaired. That influenced my choice of 11.00 duals. One down and I can still get home with a (reasonable) load.

The advantage is, this is a 14' bed and they are selling a lot cheaper than any comparable truck. Just don't expect it to be a distance hauler at highway speed and a 5 ton will probably be a very good choice. Hope this helps.

cumminsbandit

I've hauled a good amount of gravel/sand with my 817. It holds right up to 10 tons without sides. Anything more (especially off road, where these trucks were made for 5 tons) might push it's limits.
Did the hoist show any signs of struggle with the 10 ton loads? Do you think it would handle a nother 5-8 more ton?

grunex125

On my 817 ( I know we're talking 900 series here..but......) I've hauled pond spoils loaded to the hilt with mud and etc and had absolutely no problem with getting it tipped. also (and I think it is the same way with the 900 series trucks) the hoist that comes on the dump models is more than able to tip at an angle that is sure to empty out without the use of box vibrators. Not sure you can get a scissor hoist to do that unless as was stated before you are willing to bust up with the loot to purchase a hoist with enough lift and height to accomplish the same tasks. this was one of the reasons I opted for the dump model 817. I paid a bit more for the truck but it was well worth the cost. On another note I think that the hinges are pretty well built, strong and stable, when you are putting it up, it doesn't tend to lift heavy in one corner and want to tip sideways. (worked with a GMC topkick one time like that that scared the crap out of me every time I dumped) As for tonnage hauled, with 36 inch side boards, I would say anywhere from 10 to 12 ton, which was all I could get on it, and traveling on the site only, no highway time. It really worked well, we moved about 300 yards of spoils, (loaded with a 953 track loader) in about 4.5 hrs. approx. 1/4 mile to a washout w/ two guys working at it.

tobyS

Grunex, Is that a 12' bed? I think the dump 5 tons are 12' also. I wanted one ready to go for hauling about 50 loads of building debris, but they seem to go for such a premium or just look like they are worn out.

Postman515

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pull a 36,000# excavator with a 20 ton Eager Beaver tag trailer behind my m817 all the time. I have 2' sideboards on mine and can haul 12 tons of gravel. Just bought a BMY 929a2 dump truck but haven't got to use it much yet. Here's a couple of pics of some of the stuff I haul in mine. Works awesome! Wouldn't have anything else!IMG_20130815_183242_135.jpgIMG_20130823_130239_634.jpgIMG_20130318_151247_262.jpg

grunex125

Grunex, Is that a 12' bed? I think the dump 5 tons are 12' also. I wanted one ready to go for hauling about 50 loads of building debris, but they seem to go for such a premium or just look like they are worn out.[/QUOTE

inside measurement is 10 foot I think but don't quote me on that one. With the tailgate down, I know for sure it would be 12 foot. in addition to hauling dirt and logs I will also put my extra high sides on for hauling silage, I know it seems kind of pointless to haul such small loads of haylage/corn silage, but it sure makes up for it on the trips to and from the fields. takes about 10 minutes to fill with my 790 New Holland pull type chopper, 7 minutes to fill with my Fox self propelled and three minutes to haul for home, dump, and get back under the spout. gonna be trying out my new (used but new to me) 350 BC3 shortly. Been working on that repower for a few months now and finally got it running today (except need to flush and change filters all the way around)

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did the hoist show any signs of struggle with the 10 ton loads? Do you think it would handle a nother 5-8 more ton?

Not at all. Even at idle it sends her up with no hesitation. I usually have the loader fill the bed with gravel at the front (to avoid spillage out the back when going down the highway)......and with 10 tons....never been a problem. These trucks are built solid!

Not sure on going 5-8 more tons......sounds a bit much (significant moment load on where the cylinders connect with the bed)

Last edited:

grunex125

I pull a 36,000# excavator with a 20 ton Eager Beaver tag trailer behind my m817 all the time. I have 2' sideboards on mine and can haul 12 tons of gravel. Just bought a BMY 929a2 dump truck but haven't got to use it much yet. Here's a couple of pics of some of the stuff I haul in mine. Works awesome! Wouldn't have anything else!View attachment 447998View attachment 447999View attachment 448000
I think I may have seen some vids from you on youtube, did you do that work on that golf course a while back?

Got another question, how's that truck on the trailer pulling the EX. is the bridge length ok for you in your state? or is it mostly just back roads country short hauls kind of moves for you? I know the truck has got the power, but mine could use a few more inches in the frame.