• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5Ton Dump Question

ichudov

The by far best option would be lockout hubs on the front tandem but as far as I know nobody makes them for the 5-tons (you can get them for a deuce).

I can tell you from experience that the maintenance cost can be very high trying to use these trucks commercially. Unless you truly need a 6X6 truck in your line of work, I'd look elsewhere.
OK, just to be sure, these are lockouts for the "middle axle"? Right?

And what are the biggest maintenance cost expenses, in your experience?

I have a M927 and M931A2 and I do want to use them commercially in my industrial surplus/metal scrapping business. I already registered the M927.

Would love to hear some experienced voices. Thanks

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, just to be sure, these are lockouts for the "middle axle"? Right?

And what are the biggest maintenance cost expenses, in your experience?

I have a M927 and M931A2 and I do want to use them commercially in my industrial surplus/metal scrapping business. I already registered the M927.

Would love to hear some experienced voices. Thanks
Yes, most civilian tandem trucks have a way to disengage the middle axle when not needed.

The two main things that cost more than comparable civilian trucks is tires and fuel mileage. Other than that there is really no extra cost but tires and fuel are no small items.

Goodyear G177 tires are $500 new and I'd hate to even price new super singles. As stated above, you can swap to more common (cheaper) 22.5 tires but they are still $300+ and the truck will eat them too.

Most of my work is off-road but I've still got to drive down the road to the job. I love MVs but if I didn't need 6X6 I'd have a civilian truck for my work truck and save the MVs for play.

southerndiesels

I pull a 36,000# excavator with a 20 ton Eager Beaver tag trailer behind my m817 all the time. I have 2' sideboards on mine and can haul 12 tons of gravel. Just bought a BMY 929a2 dump truck but haven't got to use it much yet. Here's a couple of pics of some of the stuff I haul in mine. Works awesome! Wouldn't have anything else!View attachment 447998View attachment 447999View attachment 448000
That excavator looks smaller than 36,000 lbs. Are you talking about the excavator and the trailer weighing in at 36,000 lbs. together? Perhaps a 26,000 lbs. excavator with a 10,000 lbs. trailer?

Frogman226

Just bought a 6x6 dumptruck, newer model. I have to transport it from Wisconsin to texas. Do I need a cdl to drive this thing? It isn't for commercial use.

Postman515

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm guessing you got your truck from the state surplus lot. The problem I've found with those lots is that the trucks have been sitting for a long long time as they have to keep them so long before they can sell them to the public. So they have been sitting on base for years waiting to be released then have been sitting on the state lot for years waiting for municipalities to buy them before they are sold to the public.I've bought several trucks from state surplus. Usually the fuel is bad which can be a simple fix like draining the tank and changing fuel filters or the IP pump can get stuck after its ran for awhile with the bad fuel. I've had the IP go out after driving for a couple hours. A lot of the time the tires have been sitting flat so what condition are they in? The next thing I've ran into is the air system not being drained and the moisture causing the air tanks to get holes in them, air lines cracked, air dryer bad, etc. Brakes would be the most important thing. What condition are they in? The truck weighs 24,000# so theres no room for error. So the lot guy saying it's good to go really doesn't mean much when buying from government auctions. I've found out that usually means the truck will make it out of there gate and then it's your problem. Are you planning on taking it to truck shop to have it serviced and checked out before driving it home or are you having it trucked to Texas?

Frogman226

Just planned on changing out fluids and fuel/filter and heading out. Now that you bring up breaks I guess I'll get them checked as well. Any idea what kind of shop deals with these things? The tires hold air and have plenty of tread plus spare so I wasn't very worried about them. I'll have to swap out the batteries as well. How many fuel filters are on the truck

Postman515

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A commercial truck shop is who you would have to find to do the work on it. Fuel filters- It depends. I have an A2 that has the canister fuel filter plus the filter on motor. Some have them some don't. The tires holding air or having lots of tread doesn't really mean much. Condition of tires is important. A lot of this trucks still have the tits on the tires but are dry rotted and unsafe to drive 1500 miles on the Interstate especially when its hot out. Your best bet would be to read the TM manuals on it so you are very familiar with it before you start your drive. When I go recover one I bring lots of tools, Spare fluids, etc. Pictures would be nice so we can see what your working with.
You can give me a call again.
Alan
217-430-3612

Frogman226

A commercial truck shop is who you would have to find to do the work on it. Fuel filters- It depends. I have an A2 that has the canister fuel filter plus the filter on motor. Some have them some don't. The tires holding air or having lots of tread doesn't really mean much. Condition of tires is important. A lot of this trucks still have the tits on the tires but are dry rotted and unsafe to drive 1500 miles on the Interstate especially when its hot out. Your best bet would be to read the TM manuals on it so you are very familiar with it before you start your drive. When I go recover one I bring lots of tools, Spare fluids, etc. Pictures would be nice so we can see what your working with.
You can give me a call again.
Alan
217-430-3612
Will do when I'm back in the states on Sunday, thanks