• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5ton gotcha's in NM?

serial14

I've become afflicted with ... the disease. It started simple enough... bought a deuce from a private seller full filling my boy hood dream of owning a giant military truck. Then I found this site( which is amazing ) and GL. This year brought me getting a M101A2 from GL. Finally, before I could come to my senses I won a cherry M923A1!

Now comes the reality of owning a 5ton. I'm currently waiting on my SF97 but am busy doing all the other prep work. I've been reading everything I can over the last week about owning a 5 ton in New Mexico and I wanted to double check my conclusion against the great wisdom of SS.

Because the GVWR of the truck is above 26,000lbs this whole process becomes more fun. In reading all of the NM Traffic laws I've decided the following.
1. I don't need a CDL because its not for commercial use.
2. Because its over 26,000lbs I need to get a Class E drivers license.

Am I on the right track so far? What I'm unclear on is if I have to fill out any special forms designating it as a personal vehicle. The rules are quite clear on this topic for Motor Homes and you do have to fill out forms. However, the NM rules also define an RV as a vehicle with a camper on the back( i.e. motor home only ).

Finally, I live in the only county in NM that requires emissions testing. I'm pretty sure that my truck is new enough that I'll have to take an emissions test. First, how do they even test a truck that big? When I was a kid and would go to emissions testing with my dad they had us drive on a dyno and actually drive the truck. Second, should the 923 pass the emissions tests? If there are problems in this area though, I do have a back up plan.

Thanks for your replies and greater wisdom. Also I've included a picture for the picture book readers out there :p

Well, for one your truck has air brakes so you will need an air brake endorsement on your drivers license. I don't think you can get that unless you get the class E or class A,or B license. My advice is to go ahead and get the class B CDL , Its not that difficult and will eliminate any problems if license issues arise. Any way its wise choice for anyone who wants to operate a truck of this size to obtain proper training and licensing
thats a nice truck! Like to have one just like it but on the G177 Goodyear 11:00x20 tires.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, for one your truck has air brakes so you will need an air brake endorsement on your drivers license. I don't think you can get that unless you get the class E or class A,or B license. My advice is to go ahead and get the class B CDL , Its not that difficult and will eliminate any problems if license issues arise. Any way its wise choice for anyone who wants to operate a truck of this size to obtain proper training and licensing
thats a nice truck! Like to have one just like it but on the G177 Goodyear 11:00x20 tires.
I don't know what it costs to get a CDL in New Mexico , but it just seems smarter to get the A and have it over with then to be resticted to straight trucks or light trailers.

Chances of getting the truck licensed as an R.V. are very unlikely. You will probably have to go with Weight distance license plates (good in New Mexico only) and they will end up costing up to $174.50 per year.

serial14

Thanks for the info so far.

What are weight & distance plates? I've never heard about those.

In reading the NM laws I saw no mention of brake type, axle count, or truck type as a criteria. Only weight was mentioned. Why was it suggested that because of the Air brakes I would have to have a CDL.

What all is involved in getting a CDL? I haven't done much research in the area. I'm fine with getting training and taking tests. If I get some sort of CDL is it dependent on the type? Straight truck, Truck & Trailer, etc? I certainly have a straight truck to practice on, but not a tractor trailer... ( could this be a reason to buy a tractor??? )

Thanks for the continued advice

Weight distance plates are for vehicles over 26,001 lbs (excluding RV's) that will only be used within New Mexico
IR plated ( intrastate regulated) are the plates trucks have to cross state lines.
I am not sure if the M 923A1 would qualify for historical plates in New Mexico ( I don't know the specs for that but I have heard that the vehicle must be 30 years old, again I am not for sure on this) I believe in NM these are "horseless carrige" plates
Class A CDL is for combination vehicles - tractor trailer, straight truck pulling a trailer over 10,000lbs
Class B CDL IS FOR straight truck and pulling trailers less than 10k
Weight class is basic if its over 26,001 lbs doesn't matter how many axles it has they consider commercial truck.
I have heard some people get away without a CDL if they are not for hire so to speak.
However if you do not have a CDL and an air brake endorsement (and the vehicle you are driving requires it),
It is up to the discretion of the officer who may stop you, whether you will be ticketed.
thats why I think its just much easier to get the CDL ( less headaches ) especially with the DOT officers in NM.
this is based on my personal experience

Last edited:

serial14

Martin, I saw your post and have just reread it. The wording in the law you found is kind of similar to the wording in NM. So I will be looking into it to determine whats what.

Old Lincon, So how difficult is a CDL to get? Is it similar to when you first get your license... get a study manual... basic test... show you're a competent driver... use your own truck and you're good? If that's all it takes I'm somewhat inclined to just get the CDL upgrade and have my self be covered for all the crazyness in the laws. Plus it seems like it opens up possibilities for me both personally and work related.

Based off your description of weight distance plates that sounds like me. I can say for sure that I never intend to take my truck outside of the state, but its certainly always a possibility if needed bad enough. If you have weight distance plates for a personal vehicle are you absolutely limited to the state?

Well I have had my CDL for 13 years so it may have changed abit. You go and get the manuals study and take a computer test and then they will issue you a permit (learners permit) where you must drive with a current CDL holder.I am not sure if there is a certain about of hours driving required before you can take a road test.
when you are ready to take the road test your truck has to be licensed, insured and must pass dot inspection.
You will need to to a pretrip inspection for the test Plus backing maneuvers and a road test. I think my road test was 15 miles. Be sure to pay attention to road signs as its common for the tester to ask what that road sigh said after you have passed it. Its not really that difficult mostly common since.
Really if you need to go out of state you can buy a permit (usually like a three day permit) usually at the port of entry or possibly online for the state you are going to. Like buying over width/ weight permits.

Last edited:

resqur

Here in Nevada the smog test consists of the DPS guy holding a piece of shaded plastic (filter) up to the exhaust as you step on the accelerator. The emissions from the exhaust can not obscure a certain percent of the filter.
I was asked to dyno my truck the first time I registered it....So I went to the local DMV smog lab (after pleading with the person behind the counter that she needed to look at the truck and explain how to put it on a dyne) and the gentleman there laughed as hard as I did when I was told that was the accepted way to smog it.
Good luck on your endeavor.

resqur

Here in Nevada the smog test consists of the DPS guy holding a piece of shaded plastic (filter) up to the exhaust as you step on the accelerator. The emissions from the exhaust can not obscure a certain percent of the filter.
I was asked to dyno my truck the first time I registered it....So I went to the local DMV smog lab (after pleading with the person behind the counter that she needed to look at the truck and explain how to put it on a dyne) and the gentleman there laughed as hard as I did when I was told that was the accepted way to smog it.
Good luck on your endeavor.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you get a CDL you may need a DOT Physical.

I renewed my CDL last month and within a week I had a letter from the DVM that said if I did not send a copy of my DOT physical to them within 15 days they would suspend my license.

Did they tell me that at the Drivers License Offices? Nooooooooooooooooo.

My regular doctor does mine for 45 bucks......your medical insurance may not pay for it.

If you are on certain medications you will have to send in a letter from your doctor every year stating that you are mentally and medically fit to operate your class of vehicle.

Your milage and degree of frustration may vary.

I renewed my CDL last month and within a week I had a letter from the DVM that said if I did not send a copy of my DOT physical to them within 15 days they would suspend my license.

My regular doctor does mine for 45 bucks......your medical insurance may not pay for it.

If you are on certain medications you will have to send in a letter from your doctor every year stating that you are mentally and medically fit to operate your class of vehicle.

Yes, I forgot to mention that part (getting older and more forgetful ) but yes you do need to pass a physical and carry a medical card with you. You have to renew the medical card every two years.
Don't think we are as technically advance out here to where they send you a reminder (maybe they should for us that are getting older and more forgetful, LOL ). :whistle:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

You have a regular doctor??!!??!!??!!
I thought all of your doctors were either witchdoctors with the traditional bone-in-the-nose or doctors of the psychiatric variety practicing at the Bammer House of Happiness for the Criminally OD Addicted.

:cookoo:

rofl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks