• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2/6.5 turbo guys...quick question

georgia mike

How much are you guys paying for just the turbo if you're piecing your system together? I bought a GM-4 from someone on eBay, $100 delivered, and discovered it has a leaking compressor side oil seal so it needs work. I've talked it over with the guy and he's agreed to take it back and refund the money.

I'm a total newbie with turbos and if I hadn't noticed the oil inside the compressor side outlet, I'd have just bolted it on. When i saw that, I sealed off the oil outlet with my thumb, then blew (by mouth) into the oil inlet and sure enough, I had a slight leak only on the compressor side.

Should I keep it and attempt a rebuild it (I'm a pretty self-sufficient mechanic)?
Buy a cartridge and use my compressor & turbine housings?
Or just send it back and get my money back, then continue the search?

chevyCUCV

I dont like the gm series turbos
They are very small and "choke" the engine. Also produce very high intake air temperature

Im investing my money in a holset

georgia mike

I appreciate your opinion; I'm sure it comes from experience. However, I'm not wanting to debate which turbo is best. I'm simply trying to gauge the average cost of a used factory 6.5L turbocharger in good, useable condition and see if it's worth my time to repair this one or simply send it back.

As I said, my experience with turbos is exactly zilch. I've owned one vehicle in my lifetime that had one, and since it gave me no problems I never fooled with it. I'm not out for the ultimate in power levels; I simply want a little more oomph out of my 1008, and I'd prefer it to come from a relatively simple set of bolt-on (and mildly fabbed) parts. I've been accused of driving "like a grandpa" anyway so if I miss out on 20 horsepower because i didn't buy the best turbo availlable, I'll never miss it :D

chevyCUCV

It will make your engine live a harder life if it is in a 1008
Lots of drive pressure under rpms

Get a banks non gated or holset non gated(h1c is a good choice)

And normal trading price for a working gm turbo ranges from 100-250

Streetlegal

Ive bought a few " kits " if you will for in the 250-300 range with all the parts you need... And no.... NON of these turbos choke them..
Go for it... you'll never look back!! Not a rocket but will pickup a noticeable gain in low, more in mid some in high.. a few MPG.. worth every penny as long as you dont mind having to work around them.. ( kinda in the way at times )

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks