• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2/6.5 turbo guys...quick question

georgia mike

How much are you guys paying for just the turbo if you're piecing your system together? I bought a GM-4 from someone on eBay, $100 delivered, and discovered it has a leaking compressor side oil seal so it needs work. I've talked it over with the guy and he's agreed to take it back and refund the money.

I'm a total newbie with turbos and if I hadn't noticed the oil inside the compressor side outlet, I'd have just bolted it on. When i saw that, I sealed off the oil outlet with my thumb, then blew (by mouth) into the oil inlet and sure enough, I had a slight leak only on the compressor side.

Should I keep it and attempt a rebuild it (I'm a pretty self-sufficient mechanic)?
Buy a cartridge and use my compressor & turbine housings?
Or just send it back and get my money back, then continue the search?

chevyCUCV

I dont like the gm series turbos
They are very small and "choke" the engine. Also produce very high intake air temperature

Im investing my money in a holset

georgia mike

I appreciate your opinion; I'm sure it comes from experience. However, I'm not wanting to debate which turbo is best. I'm simply trying to gauge the average cost of a used factory 6.5L turbocharger in good, useable condition and see if it's worth my time to repair this one or simply send it back.

As I said, my experience with turbos is exactly zilch. I've owned one vehicle in my lifetime that had one, and since it gave me no problems I never fooled with it. I'm not out for the ultimate in power levels; I simply want a little more oomph out of my 1008, and I'd prefer it to come from a relatively simple set of bolt-on (and mildly fabbed) parts. I've been accused of driving "like a grandpa" anyway so if I miss out on 20 horsepower because i didn't buy the best turbo availlable, I'll never miss it :D

chevyCUCV

It will make your engine live a harder life if it is in a 1008
Lots of drive pressure under rpms

Get a banks non gated or holset non gated(h1c is a good choice)

And normal trading price for a working gm turbo ranges from 100-250

Streetlegal

Ive bought a few " kits " if you will for in the 250-300 range with all the parts you need... And no.... NON of these turbos choke them..
Go for it... you'll never look back!! Not a rocket but will pickup a noticeable gain in low, more in mid some in high.. a few MPG.. worth every penny as long as you dont mind having to work around them.. ( kinda in the way at times )