• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 banks turbo or 6.0 vortec

Sailor77

I have an option of either putting the 6.2 banks setup back in my M1008 or installing a late model 6.0. I will be running a NV4500 with either one. Anyone have any thoughts on which is better. This will be a used truck for normal around town hauling, some highway use, trailer pulling ect. I'm running hummer tires and haven't decided on a lift yet.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The turbo requires zero electronics. The Vortec requires a bunch of electronics and controller.

CUCVLOVER

Hello.
How much do you plan to pull weight wise? Also how fast are you wanting to get there? I have a 08 with stock engine, trans, gears, and 33 tall tires and it is an ok pulling rig. I had about 2300 lbs of steel on the back awhile back and as far as taking off I could barely tell it was there. I do pull every now and then and a heavy trailer as in like 4500 lbs and up you know its back there with a stock set up. but as long as you are not in a real hurry you should be ok.
As far the turbo or engine swap I guess you want much more power. If you run a turbo I would keep the boost 6-8 psi from what I have red if you go crazy with boost and do not beef up the motor you can kill it.

So my answer to your question is either turbo the 6.2 and build it right if you want lots of power, or put in a 5.7 sbc with a carb or 7.4 bbc with a carb. You will get more power from the 5.7 then the 6.0 dollar to dollar. From what I have seen from the 6.0 I am not really impressed. That engine was built to replace the 7.4 vortec in the same size truck it got worse mpgs and less power.

Also a Warthog stated turbos don't have wires and computers neither do carbed small block chevy or big block chevy.

so I hope this helps you somehow

Last edited:

Gunfighter1

I love my turbo, it will probably be alot cheaper to add a turbo to your existing motor thatn to swap a vortec in it. You can get all the parts for under a grand if you shop around. Its not very hard to do either. It still gets god mileage also in the high teens on average. I doubt youd get that with a vortec gasser in your truck.

Skinny

The 6.0 is a pretty decent motor structurally and the EFI system is decent as well. You get a giant pick of aftermarket tunes, controllers, harnesses, and accessories if your heart desires them. Powerwise I'd think the 6.0 in stock form would probably whoop up on a 6.2 turbo without question. I think really it boils down to what you want the truck to serve as. I'd gladly sacrifice some power for dirt simple reliability being it only takes some clean fuel and a single power wire to make the 6.2 happy.

Sailor77

skinny, that's my exact though. The 6.0 is a great power plant, with lots of possiblites. The 6.2 is as simple as they get, and the banks will add decent power. UGH. What to do.

rsh4364

The more you keep it close to stock the better,and you will get better mpg with the diesel,with a lot less work and headaches.Then you can give me the ls 6.0 for my 79 Malibu,its looking for a 500hp motor.LOL.

Last edited:

Ilikemtb999

That's a tough one. The turbo will be cheap and easy to set up and it really wakes the 6.2 up (I'm running under 10psi).

The 6.0 is nearly double the hp of the turbo 6.2 with a tune but will be more expensive and more of a headache with wiring. A cucv also loses some of its charm with a gasser under the hood.

I I go back and forth with what to do when the time comes for a refresh/replacement engine. An LS engine is hard to beat with its great aftermarket support and easily made big power. You can also turbo the 6.0 with success :)

Sailor77

I don't think I would turbo the 6.0, 325HP and 350TQ should be plenty to scoot the truck, especially being back by a NV4500. A cam swap to keep the TQ low and a tune would be all it needs. I do like the 6.2 and Banks, but it sure does make the engine bay tight and hard to work on (just my experience). Maybe using the 6.2 and Stans headers? The simplicity of the 6.2 is hard to beat, but cold starts in the winters is something else I need to consider. Bottom line is I want it to be reliable and have plenty of power to tow, 6,000 - 8,000 lbs on a rare occasion.

rsh4364

Stans headers are for naturally aspirated 6.2s,not turbo.A 6.2 with good batts.a good inj. system and a block heater good to -10.If its less than -10 you should stay home..

Last edited:

Sailor77

Stans headers are for naturally aspirated 6.2s,not turbo.A 6.2 with good batts.a good inj. system and a block heater good to -10.If its less than -10 you should stay home..
I do emergency response and need to get out in all types of weather. Heck two years ago in -20 I did a 10 hr drive to rescue my sister in law.

I was considering running the headers and not the turbo to have less stress on the engine and a cleaner engine compartment. I've heard the Stans are decent and provide a significant gain.

Last edited:

rsh4364

Please ditch the banks and the 6.0l and run nat. asp. with the Stans headers!I would love to hear a 6.2 with headers and 2 1/2 pipes into a nice chambered flowmaster.Maybe super 44s.Bet it would sound awesome.

Skinny

Sounds like an advil or two... :)

The 6.0 can be wired with a custom harness and a marine controller, you can make it very tidy depending on your budget or skill. They are just simply different beasts.

Personally I like a diesel CUCV and despise any electronically controlled diesel engine. I agree that they tend to lose value or market appeal with a gasser swap. Not to mention you can pick up a GM product with an LS engine pretty cheap these days. Why not just have two trucks and eat your cake too :)

Sailor77

I still have not seen any numbers from a Stans install to prove the performance gains, but I am completely open to them if the number prove their $600 value. I think there is a fella in MI that has a few NV4500 swaps with the 6.2. Maybe I need to go drive one and see how the old diesel responds to more gears. The CUCV was just my base. The frame has been blasted and painted. Rear disc brakes conversion, NP205, it has a civilian diesel cab because the CUCV's cab was to far gone.
Problem is I have four trucks now and am trying to downsize to just one all around.

rsh4364

I have a N/A 6.2 in my 86 1009 with 2 1/2 inch flowmaster super 44s,very mild sound,no advils needed.I have been told it is the best sounding diesel they ever heard.

Gunfighter1

I still have not seen any numbers from a Stans install to prove the performance gains, but I am completely open to them if the number prove their $600 value. I think there is a fella in MI that has a few NV4500 swaps with the 6.2. Maybe I need to go drive one and see how the old diesel responds to more gears. The CUCV was just my base. The frame has been blasted and painted. Rear disc brakes conversion, NP205, it has a civilian diesel cab because the CUCV's cab was to far gone.
Problem is I have four trucks now and am trying to downsize to just one all around.
$600 seems like alot for the headers and the amount of power youd gain from them. I got my turbo setup for around that same price from a 6.5. Factor in a few other parts needed like the oil feed and return lines for the turbo, and new downpipe and exhaust and it seems like youd gain alot more power for $$. Just my opinion and my experience though. In the end do whatever you think will suit your needs best. I also live in the desert so cold starts arent really an issue for me either.

rsh4364

If you are still 50/50 you should go the with 6.0 ls motor.It will out perform the 6.2 diesel all around.If you were a diesel fan the decision would have already been made. That 6.0 should be about 400hp and 400 ft lbs tq.With a 373 gear and your nv trans. you will be happy.If it was my rig I would want the diesel,but I don't want a fire-breathing super truck.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks