• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 banks turbo or 6.0 vortec

Sailor77

I never had a chance to drive the 6.2 before tearing the truck apart and I've not owned another diesel. I don't have any options around here to drive either a 6.2 turbo or 6.2/nv4500 let along both .

rsh4364

Forgive me,maybe I was a bit harsh,but you are comparing a 30 yr.old na diesel to a modern great engine,I love the ls motors but don't want one in a cucv.Look at the expense of both installs and make up your mind.

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
$600 seems like alot for the headers and the amount of power youd gain from them. I got my turbo setup for around that same price from a 6.5. Factor in a few other parts needed like the oil feed and return lines for the turbo, and new downpipe and exhaust and it seems like youd gain alot more power for $$. Just my opinion and my experience though. In the end do whatever you think will suit your needs best. I also live in the desert so cold starts arent really an issue for me either.
This would be my suggestion. Pull all the 6.5 parts off a junkyard truck or watch ebay. It can take a little modification, to completely bolt-on, depending on years.

Ilikemtb999

Why not install the banks kit and see if you're happy? If not, then sell the engine and kit together.

I'd love the power of an ls engine in my m1009 but the turbo is adequate for trails. I have a 5.3 truck for everything else.

86m1028

If your not happy with the 6.5 (gutless), you won't be happy with a turbo'ed 6.2.
Go with the 6.0 & smile every time you mash the go pedal & it moves !!!

Skinny

I have an option of either putting the 6.2 banks setup back in my M1008 or installing a late model 6.0. I will be running a NV4500 with either one. Anyone have any thoughts on which is better. This will be a used truck for normal around town hauling, some highway use, trailer pulling ect. I'm running hummer tires and haven't decided on a lift yet.
I think either way, you will be able to accomplish these jobs with the engines you have proposed. It really is going to boil down to what you want your truck to be...dirt simple or modern.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
LS6 hot cam has a better profile for turbo. I wouldn't waste money on a intake in a forced induction setup. And a single S472 would do better. Routinely makes 525+ rwhp with that combo and nothing else.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks