• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 Cylinder Low Compression Diagnosis

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I performed a compression test on my 6.2 today and got the following results.

1- 395
2-390
3-335
4-410
5-345
6-400
7-390
8-390

Cylinders 3 and 5 are low and below the spec of 380psi. I retested those cylinders twice to confirm as well. My question is, is there any way to narrow down the cause? Whether rings, valve/head issues, head gasket, etc? I already plan on doing some head work this winter but would like to know (if possible) if the piston/rings should be on my list as well.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter

1- 395
2-390
3-335
4-410
5-345
6-400
7-390
8-390

Cylinders 3 and 5 are low and below the spec of 380psi. I retested those cylinders twice to confirm as well. My question is, is there any way to narrow down the cause? Whether rings, valve/head issues, head gasket, etc? I already plan on doing some head work this winter but would like to know (if possible) if the piston/rings should be on my list as well.
You can do a leak down test. If you get air leaking out of you radiator you have a blown head gasket. Air out of your exhaust would indicate a exhaust valve leaking. Air out of your manifold would indicate a leaking intake valve. Air out of your oil dip stick or oil fill tube would indicate rings or cylinder problem. On gas engines and I am assuming diesel would be similar you can put a couple of teaspoons of oil in the cylinder and do a compression test, if the compression comes up considerably that would indicate rings.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter

1- 395
2-390
3-335
4-410
5-345
6-400
7-390
8-390

You should be able to use the hose from your compression gauge. Just unscrew the hose from the gauge and put an air hose fitting on the hose, then use your glow plug fitting and put 70 psi into the cylinder to do a leak down test.

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should be able to use the hose from your compression gauge. Just unscrew the hose from the gauge and put an air hose fitting on the hose, then use your glow plug fitting and put 70 psi into the cylinder to do a leak down test.
Thanks! I was just thinking about doing something like that. If there are leaks into the intake or exhaust, is it typically pretty easy to tell?

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks! I was just thinking about doing something like that. If there are leaks into the intake or exhaust, is it typically pretty easy to tell?
You will definitely hear the valves leaking. If the valves are in need of replacement you will hear air leaking through the tail pipe or the manifold. You will need to put each cylinder at top dead center to check the valves. There are a few different ways to determine top dead center. Once you are hooked up to your compressor the gauge on your compressor will also be an indicator. If you don't leak at 70 psi you can increase to 100 psi max.

Last edited:

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does the engine run good? If so, don’t stress too much about those 2 cylinders. Yes, they are below spec but unless it is the head gasket. You probably won’t feel the difference.
Yeah it seems to run fine. Just trying to get a feel for motor condition before I go about putting money into it, and the plan is to install a turbo so I want to make sure everything is intact beforehand.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yeah it seems to run fine. Just trying to get a feel for motor condition before I go about putting money into it, and the plan is to install a turbo so I want to make sure everything is intact beforehand.
If the truck is blowing bubbles into the coolant, the leak is pretty bad.
I'm sure there are other brands - but what about this? (About $10)

1670274880816.png

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alright I finally got around to performing these tests. I’ll go through my process and y’all can let me know if I did something wrong since my results seem inconclusive.

To start, i ran the motor to see if there were bubbles in the radiator. All seemed well there, no bubbles. Then I proceeded with the pressure test.

I based the cylinder TDC on the fluid damper balancer marks (which are every 90 degrees). Cylinder 5 should be 360+90 degrees as it is the 6th cylinder in firing order. I also confirmed this by rotating the motor 90’ at a time (across 2 full crank revolutions) and giving cylinder 5 a few psi and gauged cylinder location based on where air was easily escaping (intake or exhaust). That also confirmed my original #5 TDC location.

At TDC, I gradually increased the air to ~50psi . Air was heard/felt out of the intake as well as a small amount from the dipstick. Much less air than when the cylinder was in the intake stroke, but still noticeable.

Based on this, I was going to conclude intake valves and cylinder rings were the issue. However I decided to check cylinder 1 (which had no compression issues) to compare. This cylinder, at TDC and similar psi (40-50), also had air escaping from the intake as well as the dipstick.

So now I’m not really sure what to think. Based on the fact the motor runs fine I think I’ll just move forward without rebuilding the bottom end. But still seems very odd.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alright I finally got around to performing these tests. I’ll go through my process and y’all can let me know if I did something wrong since my results seem inconclusive.

To start, i ran the motor to see if there were bubbles in the radiator. All seemed well there, no bubbles. Then I proceeded with the pressure test.

I based the cylinder TDC on the fluid damper balancer marks (which are every 90 degrees). Cylinder 5 should be 360+90 degrees as it is the 6th cylinder in firing order. I also confirmed this by rotating the motor 90’ at a time (across 2 full crank revolutions) and giving cylinder 5 a few psi and gauged cylinder location based on where air was easily escaping (intake or exhaust). That also confirmed my original #5 TDC location.

At TDC, I gradually increased the air to ~50psi . Air was heard/felt out of the intake as well as a small amount from the dipstick. Much less air than when the cylinder was in the intake stroke, but still noticeable.

Based on this, I was going to conclude intake valves and cylinder rings were the issue. However I decided to check cylinder 1 (which had no compression issues) to compare. This cylinder, at TDC and similar psi (40-50), also had air escaping from the intake as well as the dipstick.

So now I’m not really sure what to think. Based on the fact the motor runs fine I think I’ll just move forward without rebuilding the bottom end. But still seems very odd.
An actual leak down tester has areas that measure the amount of air escaping. If the volume is acceptable it will measure in the green area. You will get air seepage but the amount is what is important.

nyoffroad

I've never done a leak down test so keep that in mind. TDC=Top Dead Center, what that means is that piston is all the way at the top of its stroke. Assuming that you have the engine turned TDC on the COMPPRESSION STROKE then both valves are closed. But as soon as you put compressed air into the cylinder the piston is going to move down (correct?) When that happens one or the other valve will get cracked open and thus an air leak.
IDK, Maybe I'm missing something or not.
If the lower pressure really bothers the OP then I'd do (or not) a dry then wet compression test and plan on a rebuild. Does it matter if it's a valve or rings? Personally I've never rebuilt a lower without also doing the heads and learned long ago on a gas engine, if it needs head work chances are it will also need block work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks