• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 Diesel in a M-37?

southdave

Got all my major stuff together, 6.2 engine/turbo, 3053a tranny with most of the c-60 crap to hook it together ( thank gimp & spicer for paving the way) I am using an np-202 , another gimp procured item.. and a set of dana 3.73 hydro boost bake and steering box out of 91 cut away.. I know the devil is in the details so I hit snag with 1028 400 to nv4500 swap. M37 is going have to wait til winter or next spring maybe..

Militoy

My partner / brother-in-law is a diesel guru - he builds the Scorpion rock crawlers and their military variants. He chose the 4BT as standard power for the full-size Scorpion - but he converted his own M37 to diesel using a Nissan engine. Butt-loads of torque - compared to the OEM engine. I agree the Detroit 353 is a kickass conversion for a lightweight truck (That's the engine I run in my 7500 pound Gama Goat). But there are lots of other suitable diesel options for the M37. Pays your money - takes your choice.

Militoy

@ODdave -
My son toyed with the idea of a 5 cylinder Mercedes swap for his Jeep CJ6A. He eventually decided to stick with an oddfire V6 gas engine (later and larger than the OEM 225). But the ready availability of the Merc. engines in our local U-Pick junkyards - along with their performance and reliability made them an attractive option.

Tanner

Im throwing a OM 617 mercedes engine in mine with a 4500. Hasnt been mentioned so I figured I would throw it out there.
So you're sourcing the kit bits for the swap from one of the Jeep diesel swappers? Using the 4x4labs kit?

'Tanner'

Last edited:

Tanner

I looked into the 617 ~ 4 years ago, but it didn't have the power I was looking for in an M37 install. I know it's a high-speed diesel (I've had 3 MB OM617 equipped cars) -

I've already got all the 6.X/Spicer 3053A/bellhousing/etc., bits - but have access to the diesel stuff as well. I looked at the 4x4Labs kit for $950; I can't have the adaptor plate, flywheel & pilot adaptor made for that cheap...

'T'

Last edited:

ODdave

Cool. I just cant stand the 8 mpg of the 230 and was afraid of breaking axles with a 4b not to mention the hight of the 4b. What kind of power #'s where you looking for? the 6.2 will top out @ 200 at best

Tanner

Stock numbers on a civvy 1990 J-code 6.2 that I pulled from a running, driving truck were ~ 145HP & ~260 lb-ft TQ -

M37 's will break axles with any engine, even a stock 230... I know a guy with a BB Chevy in one & he's never broken an axle. And I know of a '37 with a 4BT that has broken an axle. It's a crap shoot on metallurgy, driving style, etc...

Cabell Garbee is my college buddy here in Raleigh that did the first 4BT swap in the area that I'm aware of - I assisted on occasion - my truck currently resides at his place. I would have done the 4BT swap on mine, but didn't want to put that much $$ into it. I've got maybe $250 in my running 6.2 motor & not much more than that in my bell housing & bits - now to find time to put it all together!

Last edited:

ODdave

Im hoping my axles hold up, The truck has been used for plowing for quite some time and I have wheeled it some without breaking one, Hope i got a good set ! My 617 is rated @ 125hp, easily turned up to more so I hope it moves better than that pathetic 230 lol

Tanner

The problem you hit with the OM616/617 MB diesels is with the front-mounted sump... it wants to share the same space with the front axle & diff - the aluminum upper oil pan is a structural piece & will cause you grief on the swap. The stamped steel lower pan can be mod'd, but the upper 'pan' is the kicker -

Tanner

ODdave

Yea, read and saw that first hand. I'll figure something out. I figure if I can fit an intercooler in a cucv with the radiator, bridge light and slave plug in the stock location, the pan will be minor.

Tanner

These folks have a OM61X to Jeep AX15 or NV3550 or NSG370 trans adapter kit - MB202

I believe that they were discussing using the NV4500 for a kit at some point -

spicergear

Do you guys toying with the 617 know if that has the same bell housing as the earlier 4 cylinders in the 190D cars? I have a 190D four cylinder and four speed in a '53 F100 Custom Cab and it could use just a tad more power and I think one more cylinder would solve that...as long is it's easy to drop in. ... OR ... Do you know if the manual transmission behind the 5 cylinder diesels has the same shift actuation as the four cylinder's transmission. Lever on top, lever on side... iirc.

THANKS!

Tanner

Do you guys toying with the 617 know if that has the same bell housing as the earlier 4 cylinders in the 190D cars? I have a 190D four cylinder and four speed in a '53 F100 Custom Cab and it could use just a tad more power and I think one more cylinder would solve that...as long is it's easy to drop in. ... OR ... Do you know if the manual transmission behind the 5 cylinder diesels has the same shift actuation as the four cylinder's transmission. Lever on top, lever on side... iirc.

THANKS!
I posted a reply to this earlier, but it obviously didn't take... the MB 2.2 4-cylinder diesel in the early 190D was from the OM601-series of motors. Cast iron block & aluminum head. They had issues with blowing headgaskets & warping heads if run hot - I recall seeing quite a few of them at our local dealership service department when I was a service writer/shop assistant/gopher.

In looking at the back of the block for each engine, I believe that MB went to a different bellhousing bolt pattern between the OM601/602 & the OM616/617 series.

I attached a link from YouTube on a Suzuki Samurai with MB OM601 & auto trans - [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS9QlClRu8E[/media]
Tanner/Bryan

nattieleather

As for breaking an axel on the M37 I've seen a few people spin their tires on wet grass with a stock M37 and break the axel. The stock axel IMHO is the weak link in the system.

@Tanner...yes I think it will be up to us. When I get a few more things done I'll post a picture or two. It may be after the new year though.

spicergear

I posted a reply to this earlier, but it obviously didn't take... the MB 2.2 4-cylinder diesel in the early 190D was from the OM601-series of motors. Cast iron block & aluminum head. They had issues with blowing headgaskets & warping heads if run hot - I recall seeing quite a few of them at our local dealership service department when I was a service writer/shop assistant/gopher.

In looking at the back of the block for each engine, I believe that MB went to a different bellhousing bolt pattern between the OM601/602 & the OM616/617 series.

I attached a link from YouTube on a Suzuki Samurai with MB OM601 & auto trans - [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS9QlClRu8E[/media]
Tanner/Bryan
This thing is being cooled with the factory V8 Flattie radiator. It NEVER runs any hotter than the thermostat. It would be so nice to have just a little more pep from it. Maybe I should take a look at the IP. I already turned up the OM352 in the Unimog a touch...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks