• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 diesel power

jimdentoniv

New to the site and I am sure this question has been asked a hundred times but what is the best way to get the most power out of the 6.2 without breaking the bank and if you cant is it worth putting in a gas burner?

jimmy-90

The only real way to get a little bit more power out of the 6.2L diesel's is to turn up the fuel delivery screw inside the injection pump 1/8th of a turn. It is free and will wake the motor up a little bit. Adding higher flow mufflers is also a good idea with the fuel turned up. I also added an air cleaner assembly off of a 6.5L with a bigger inlet to mine and plumed it to the outside of the engine compartment. Just a word of caution though to turn the fuel up it is a good idea to use a pyrometer to make sure it is not getting too hot. If you elect not to use a pyrometer and you stomp on the pedal and alot of black smoke comes out then open the injection pump back up and turn the screw back down some or it will kill your motor. Thats about all you can do to these engines without spending alot of money on a turbo.

jimdentoniv

Cant beat youtube for things like that. Well what is the cheapest turbo you can get. I know the banks kit cost about 2 grand is
there any cheaper one than that. and I dont know about a 454 I would probly put a vortec in.

Westech

CPL
Jim.. you can get the 454 in the "vortec" anyway.. You can get a turbo MUCH cheaper then that. The only thing is you have to keep the boost low because the 6.2 has such high compression. The best thing is if your new to the 6.2 world is leave it alone. If you cant afford a turbo you cant afford to replace the engine. The 6.2 will explode if messed with too much, but in stock form is a great fuel sipping engine with enough power to move the truck out of its own way.

Barrman

Think of it this way. The 6.2 was a ground up diesel engine from more than 30 years ago. It was made to fit where a small block gas engine would, bolt up to the same parts, get twice the mileage as a standard small block and about the same power. A 2 barrel 305 was the standard engine it was compared against.

The 6.2 exactly fit those standards and will last many hundred thousands of miles if let to live within those design ideas.

Don't forget that Detroit figured performance was dead and diesel was not available like it is now.

jimdentoniv

I don't really know alot about the 6.2 I have a couple of buddy's that have put cummins motors in them and I know a guy who builds rock buggies and builds diesel trucks. ( and yes you can get a 454 in a vortec should have been more specific but the 5.3 and the 5.7 are more plentiful around here than the 454 or I could put a new 6.0 vortec in but I want better gas milliage than that no matter how cool it would be I can put in one of them cheaper than I could put on the banks kit) I am eventualy planing to put a 4 inch lift on it and some 37 and some tons to have a trail rig. I dot have to have a power house but I want to be able to spend the tires if I need to I am just wondering if I will be happy with the power in the long run. I thank you guys for the feedback just trying to get someones opinion who knows more about it.

jimdentoniv

Didnt think about the 305 being in most of those models I have always had a 89 and up k5 with a 350. A 305 probly would have
the same amount of power as the 6.2. I could be wrong but I dont think they even offered the 350 in some years did they?

rednckii

just wondering is there any way to put a set of headers on here say off of a 350 was thinkin bout tryin it anyone else thinkin the same or have tried

dstang97

just wondering is there any way to put a set of headers on here say off of a 350 was thinkin bout tryin it anyone else thinkin the same or have tried
They are a different bolt pattern.

If I was doing a low budget Hp build I would

1 do a cold air intake
2 better High flow mufflers
3 turn up the pump

That is pretty much it besides a turbo

steved454

Didnt think about the 305 being in most of those models I have always had a 89 and up k5 with a 350. A 305 probly would have
the same amount of power as the 6.2. I could be wrong but I dont think they even offered the 350 in some years did they?

My Uncle and his son bought matching blue chevy short wheel base trucks in 1982. the father got 2 wheel drive and the son got 4wheel drive, both came with 305's that was all they offered. come to think of it the 305 2barrel is about the same as the 6.2, Just keeps on going!

Tanner

Headers are available for the 6.2, but will cost you some coin. You're really bringing the wrong dog to the hunt if you want a tire-spinning rock-monster.

'Tanner'

jimmy-90

If you are thinking about getting away from the 6.2L diesel engine then you might be interested in something like the GM HT383 crate motor. It is a VERY strong small block engine that is meant to be used as a truck motor with excellent torque. It puts out 340 hp. at 4500 rpm. and 435 ft. lbs or torque. With 4.56 gears that should be enough to smoke all four tires on dry pavement. It costs about twice as much as a sidewinder turbo for the 6.2 but that sounds more like the kind of power you are wanting to make. If im not mistaken I think all GM crate motors come with a warranty as well.

jimdentoniv

:deadhorse:Exactly how much does the sidewinder kit cost the one I seen was about 2 grand is that about right? is 6.2 the same motor that they put in a HMMVEE?

Last edited:

Preacherboy

The 6.5's are notorious for failing, especially the #8 cyclinder wall cracking...the 6.2's aren't noted for those problems. They are noted for longevity. If you want more power I wouldn't bother with a gas engine, put in a Cummins 4bt or 6bt. Or just call up Penisular Diesel and order their 6.5 (they use the newest IH/AMG blocks w/o the problems of the old blocks)...it is $6500 though.

So the Banks turbo is still cheaper, other companies make turbos as well. Someone told me to put a VGT turbo on the 6.2 for the best fuel mileage; but you are looking for power.