• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 diesel power

Tanner

VGT/VVT/VNT - all acronyms describing a variable ratio exhaust snail housing that controls the speed at which the turbo spools up to create boost & reduce lag.

Variable geometry turbochargers (VGTs) are a family of turbochargers, usually designed to allow the effective aspect ratio (sometimes called A/R Ratio) of the turbo to be altered as conditions change. This is done because optimum aspect ratio at low engine speeds is very different from that at high engine speeds. If the aspect ratio is too large, the turbo will fail to create boost at low speeds; if the aspect ratio is too small, the turbo will choke the engine at high speeds, leading to high exhaust manifold pressures, high pumping losses, and ultimately lower power output. By altering the geometry of the turbine housing as the engine accelerates, the turbo's aspect ratio can be maintained at its optimum. Because of this, VGTs have a minimal amount of lag, have a low boost threshold, and are very efficient at higher engine speeds. VGTs do not require a wastegate.

'Tanner'

Preacherboy

Lots of other forums discuss the 6.2...not sure there is a "kit" for a VGT turbo for a 6.2. You'd have to order the parts, maybe someone from another forum has already done the leg work and can tell you exactly what parts make up the "kit".

Should be cheaper than the Banks system, plus you should get better fuel economy. For right now I am just putting the turbo form my 6.5 onto my 6.2. In fact everything from my 6.5 will bolt onto my 6.2 (except oil pan...I hope the water pump works too).

DokWatson

I've never had any problems with the 6.2's power. Makes me wonder what you are basing your opinion on. These trucks are dogs in 2wd on the street. Drop it into 4 low off the beaten path and you might think you have a whole new truck.

Put some gear reduction behind the 6.2 to see it really shine.

Bummy

I second that Dok! Was wondering why I bought my m1028; until I went in the deepest, nastiest, mud infested hole I could find. Then it was as graceful as the fifth symphony when the 6.2 idled along; all locked out in four low in mud up past the frame rails! Ah who needs a radio when you got that.
:grd:

nyoffroad

You either love a 6.2 or hate it. If you want tire spinning, head snapping power then your looking in the wrong place.
If ya want a great truck for off road hauling,dragging,camping at a modest price then get a 6.2 and leave it alone!
I saw a set of headers for a 6.2 once, at $400 (used) I just didn't have it. :( I did seem to pick up some free power by porting and polishing the heads and manifolds. It's amazing how rough and out of align the head to manifold fit is! I also balanced the rods/pistons and it's the smoothest idling 6.2 I've ever seen.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stan's is the company that makes 6.2 headers. They are good but pricy. A few things anyone can do cheaply to help the effort is to add a second snorkel to the air cleaner. That is the first choke point. Second is to add a balance tube between the left and right exhaust. This helps evacuate exhaust on any V8 engine. Even better than the 2 snorkels is 2 snorkels plumbed outside for cool air. I remember way back having a 6.2 half ton and noting how much peppier it was while underhood temps were cool. As soon as it warmed up, it was back to normal.

Chaski

You either love a 6.2 or hate it. If you want tire spinning, head snapping power then your looking in the wrong place.
If ya want a great truck for off road hauling,dragging,camping at a modest price then get a 6.2 and leave it alone!
I saw a set of headers for a 6.2 once, at $400 (used) I just didn't have it. :( I did seem to pick up some free power by porting and polishing the heads and manifolds. It's amazing how rough and out of align the head to manifold fit is! I also balanced the rods/pistons and it's the smoothest idling 6.2 I've ever seen.

I'll second that. The manifold ports in stock form are pretty horrible on the intakes, the heads are not much better.

As for power a Banks kit is about as good as it gets. They can be found used on Craigslist, eBay and if you are lucky a pick-n-pull yard.

Like everyone else who has chimed in, they are not horsepower monsters.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks