• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 gear drive

344lbsofgetdown

i look at it this way its your truck do what u want its yours. if the gears brake u will tell us and hay we wont buy one after that i like the chain due to the price but on my race engine i run the gear drive so its a 50 50 shot. and i was born and raised in LA california lived there for 25 years and hated it due to all the smog BS and cost of living there..

rickf

aua OK, now I'll ask if we can all get along. If ya'll don't agree with one another, don't read each other's opinions or posts. An internet forum is a not really a good medium to channel your anger through, PM each other your phone numbers, call, talk or curse each other out and let it be. FWIW IMHO CA is not a terrible state, I train folks in Barstow from time to time and I tend to like El Pollo Loco even though some of the locals think it's crap? The original intent of the thread I think was to express an opinion about gear drives vs the other options for spinning the camshaft and injection pump. Nothing too personal to read into there.

And to keep it MV related, I think chains, belts, or gears are a fine choice depending on your budget and commitment to maintain your ride.
Agreed, cool it guys. Been to California, nice country. I guess it is not a bad place to live if you don't mind waking up on the floor with your house two inches closer to the ocean every day.:shock::shock::lol::lol:

deuceaid

Banned
If Your in Barstow, El Pollo loco is ok,,, but they have the best Del Taco in the state, or NV,AZ.

All the big trucks that put on a million miles, the ag tractors ,industrial engines,, and big diesels use gear drive,,,,, they use gears for a reason, they last. now as for the rest of the GM lasting that long, I cant be so sure.

det rebel

true they do put on that many miles but remember they are in the shop for maintenance at REGULAR INTERVILES and are built for the heavy pulling and have the electronics that watch for ANY problem that starts to happen

Tanner

aua OK, now I'll ask if we can all get along. If ya'll don't agree with one another, don't read each other's opinions or posts. An internet forum is a not really a good medium to channel your anger through, PM each other your phone numbers, call, talk or curse each other out and let it be. FWIW IMHO CA is not a terrible state, I train folks in Barstow from time to time and I tend to like El Pollo Loco even though some of the locals think it's crap? The original intent of the thread I think was to express an opinion about gear drives vs the other options for spinning the camshaft and injection pump. Nothing too personal to read into there.

And to keep it MV related, I think chains, belts, or gears are a fine choice depending on your budget and commitment to maintain your ride.
I posted a comment re his post on gear drives; didn't intend to hurt OP's feelings - looks like I did. Oh well...

Last edited:

sandcobra164

Tanner, you and CUCVNUT have some unresolved animosity from somewhere that I don't really care to know. PM him some contact info, ya'll curse each other out and be done with it. You posted your opinion, he doesn't seem to like any of your advice or your signature line. I'll get involved with this when I figure out how to keep my own two boys from fighting over they're hundreds of Matchbox cars!!! Ya'll are both grown enough to join a forum discussing old military trucks, operate a computer and so on. And chance has it, ya'll are probably older than I am. I'll be 30 in August.:beer:

I just try to stay happy, enjoy life, pay the bills and blow smoke out the stack of my Deuce or out the sides of my M1028!!! I'd love if everyone did the same and I really think that's all you're trying to do.

In reminder, the El Pollo Loco within walking distance of the Hampton Inn in Barstow, CA, is a pretty good spot to eat a taco dinner.

MV related, my truck just passed 4,000 miles and the chain is still good on it!!!!

Tanner

No issues Cucvnut... you've built a kickin' truck that you obviously enjoy... and if you find yourself out East, we'll drink a cold one & sing Kumbaya -

Tanner

trukhead

Here I go , jumping in when I should keep quiet. Gears are great, when they are attached to the crank and cam directly and meshing directly. Aftermarket gear sets using the dogbone and 2 idler gears seem to include 6 more points of wear and an additional source of vibration, 4 gear contact points and the bearing surfaces-wear clearance and resulting slop in the system.
They work great but for long? Will they last for 100,000-200,000 miles. I don't know and would like to know.
The cost of the gear set versus installing chain sets...? I have 22.000 miles on my M1008 and I hope I don't have to fix any thing as long as I own it.

:deadhorse:

epartsman

I have 22.000 miles on my M1008 and I hope I don't have to fix any thing as long as I own it.

The fact that it's 27 plus or minus years old means there will be some repairs from dried out seals etc. Some of the fun is in the Mods depending upon what you want and if you have not done so the Doghead Mod is a must! It will save you a starter, flywheel, and burnt wiring.

Gunfreak25

I was looking into this myself recently, old thread but a good one (this stuff is always good to know). Atleast for the 6.2 which is noted for having an inherently weak crank, I would advice staying with the chain setup. This article about the Fluidampr briefly tells about how crankshaft harmonics are further increased through the use of gear timing sets. Sounds like pretty solid information to me but take it as you would like. Now I believe the International 6.9's used gear drives, but they are a much heavier duty engine and I have never heard of one of them having broken crank issues like the 6.2's. Totally sticking with my old 2004 army rebuild chain. If they even bothered replacing it in the first place is questionable. :lol:

TheDieselPage.com - 6.5L Crankshaft Harmonic Damping - Fluidampr's Viscous Fluid Vibration Damper - Published September 2007

JayTheCPA

I ran across an article online . . . regarding gear drive assemblies used on GM 6.5 motors...
Realize that I am bringing an old thread back to the front . . .

One thing I noticed was reliance on information from a1customs as an authoritative source early in the discussion. Recommend searching on "6.5 diesel steaksauce" to see what turns up.

In terms of Phazer gears as a benefit, do not have experience with them yet but am about to pull the trigger on a set. My take is that the supplier of my new P-400 long block knows about the Phazer (including that there is only one known maker of the gear drive) and will still back the 1 year / unlimited mile warranttee on the engine knowing that the first thing I am going to do when the motor arrives is to replace the timing chain with the Phazer gears; that speaks volumes to me.

So, it is looking more like the reason to go with gears versus the OE chain is a long term question and personal preference of whether the benefits of the gears outweigh the cost.

Toward other commentary in this thread about girdles adding to the harmonics, I did not notice any audible or vibrational change after I installed them in my 6.5 (GM 506 block). Naturally this may, or may not, have the same (non) effect on a 6.2 block.

ducer

Fun facts.

1. Gear drives use horse power. Tested on dyno 383 chevy and 440 chrysler average loss is 5 hp at flywheel. New timing chain vs. new geardrive.
2. Gear drive more consistent timing over timing chain (lifespan). But advancing cam 2 degrees extra will offset some of this.
3. Timing gears can snap keys and keyways in crank snout due to the constant pounding, I've experienced this.
4. Wierd things can happen with geardrives pertaining to valve float (certian rpm). I had a miss between 5800-6100 rpm 6100-6800 ok.
5. Timing belts are the best all around performers except on a off road vehicle where mud and sticks can get caught between belt and pulley (most are exposed belts).
6. There is a reason you don't see gear drive in NASCAR engines.
7. Timing gear whine will eventually get on your nerves!

From years of stock car racing and drag racing perspective you can't beat a high quality double row true roller timing chain with torrington thrust surface and torrington thrust button to prevent cam walk.

Just my 2cents from my personal perspective and experience.
Denny

Mercunimog404

Banned
Fun facts.

1. Gear drives use horse power. Tested on dyno 383 chevy and 440 chrysler average loss is 5 hp at flywheel. New timing chain vs. new geardrive.
2. Gear drive more consistent timing over timing chain (lifespan). But advancing cam 2 degrees extra will offset some of this.
3. Timing gears can snap keys and keyways in crank snout due to the constant pounding, I've experienced this.
4. Wierd things can happen with geardrives pertaining to valve float (certian rpm). I had a miss between 5800-6100 rpm 6100-6800 ok.
5. Timing belts are the best all around performers except on a off road vehicle where mud and sticks can get caught between belt and pulley (most are exposed belts).
6. There is a reason you don't see gear drive in NASCAR engines.
7. Timing gear whine will eventually get on your nerves!

From years of stock car racing and drag racing perspective you can't beat a high quality double row true roller timing chain with torrington thrust surface and torrington thrust button to prevent cam walk.

Denny
Why doesn't a big rig, or the beloved m35 use timing chains then?

JayTheCPA

If its not broke don't fix it.:popcorn:
*Completely* agree that it is definitely not worth ripping out a working part. Not the case for me as I am starting over. And if it *is* broken, this is a good thread for somebody looking to sift through their options [thumbzup]

Also wanted to point out the use of certain sources versus their reputation in other parts of the 6.2 / 6.5 community.

Fun facts. . . .
Denny
The experiences appear to come from gassers; how do they translate to a lower revving and much more noisy IDI? (just asking, not picking)

acesneights1

As some one who has owned many 6.2's and 6.5s and worked on more than I owned..there is nothing wrong with a timing chain. I have owned 6.2s that hit 330,000 miles on the original timing chain. The 6.2 is an ok engine if you leave it alone and don't beat the snot out of it. If you are looking for performance...do yourself a favor and boat anchor it and swap a 6bt in. You can easily spend more money on 6.2 upgrades that will in the end do nothing than it will cost to swap a Cummins(assuming this is within your abilities). I have seen many people dump thousands into 6.2/5 engines in performance upgrades all to have it go bang. It's a weak engine. drive it for what it is and save the money for real diesel engine. The 6.2 is a passenger class engine not a heavy duty engine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks