• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 gear drive

ducer

With the big diesel engines there is generally something else being driven (injection pump, balance shaft) in addition to the cam shaft.
When you add in other things you tend to end up with kind of a cancelling effect on the harmonics and change their frequency.

The experiences appear to come from gassers; how do they translate to a lower revving and much more noisy IDI? (just asking, not picking)[/QUOTE]

ducer

Why doesn't a big rig, or the beloved m35 use timing chains then?
Most big rig engines have in addition to the cam shaft being driven the injection pump or a balance shaft in the engine or power steering punp. M35 for instance has the injection pump being driven and if you have hydraulic steering in some cases a pump also. The more crap you can run with those gears the better off you are for minimizing the harmonics. Personaly I have seen many stock and aftermarket timing chains go well over 100,000 miles, but I have yet to see any aftermarket gear drive go that long with out needing some type of repair or replacement. These are just my personal experiences I don't have a dog in this fight. Use them or not I really don't care.

Denny

Mercunimog404

Banned
Most big rig engines have in addition to the cam shaft being driven the injection pump or a balance shaft in the engine or power steering punp. M35 for instance has the injection pump being driven and if you have hydraulic steering in some cases a pump also. The more crap you can run with those gears the better off you are for minimizing the harmonics. Personaly I have seen many stock and aftermarket timing chains go well over 100,000 miles, but I have yet to see any aftermarket gear drive go that long with out needing some type of repair or replacement. These are just my personal experiences I don't have a dog in this fight. Use them or not I really don't care.

Denny
My fj60 has almost 300000 miles on the timing gear. New trucks have electronic ips and still use gear drive.

Last edited:

JayTheCPA

Quick update.

Am finishing up the Burb's re-power where the 506 block came out and a P-400 went in. Toward commentary about the timing gears making noise, up to the Burb's ECM de-fuel of 3,300 RPM's I cannot hear them. Can hear lots of of other noises that the IDI makes (clatter, turbo whistle, etc), but nothing from the timing gears.

Actually, the P-400 is more quiet than the 506 block where some of this might have to do with additional sound deadening in the floor and a new tune with fuel curves that match the turbo.

Racallahan1

Digging up an old thread to ask if anyone put a gear drive in their 6.2 and what the performance results were if they did? I know consensus was the chain setup works well for less cost, but I'm sure someone did this mod at some point. You can't find the kits anymore, so someone had to have bought them.

JayTheCPA

IIRC the Phazer gears were not bought-out and DSG simply dropped the product as the owner wanted to spin-down the business (or at least that line / product).

Toward a viable replacement, there is a new small business player on the market that offers timing gears for the DB2 on a 6.5 and this should work with the 6.2. PM me if there is interest as the new supplier is not a vendor here; or just search for "timing gear db2 diesel".

And in fairness, I can now report that it is possible to hear the gears: with the motor running I have to pop the hood, remove the oil filler cap, and then I can actually hear the gears. Put the cap back on and I no longer hear them :wink:

JayTheCPA

How does it perform compared to the chain drive?
Saw a write-up about the Phazer's effects (http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/phaserc.htm) where the author stated clear benefits on a ~250K 6.5 motor. Personally I cannot give a fair 'before-and-after' comparison given the number of changes that occurred with the motor swap.

Did you need to put a fluidampr harmonic balancer on also?
Yes as I started from a fresh slate (new motor) and did not want to re-use what looked like an OE damper (or any other known weak link items).