• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 ticking noise?

welpro222

I was reving my 6.2 diesel to observe smoke from exhaust and the motor stumbled when i let the throttle go and now I have what sounds like a light lifter tap at idle and when I rev it. No change in drivability.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bent push rod? pulled rocker stud?, Broken rocker arm?, bad injector?

Listen with a stethoscope(a screwdriver with your ear to the handle works). Find the area of the noise and dig in!

How high were you reving it?

67_C-30

If you were revving it high enough out of gear to see smoke, you were revving pretty hard. These engines don't smoke much, even a heavy load. A 6.2 is not engine to have if want to "roll coal" as they say...

davidkroberts

I have something similar.... a strange tapping almost like the starter is dragging and tapping against the flywheel somehow... strange. It is kinda sorta dependant on RPM but not entirely. Almost like its a loose bracket. While underneath i saw a mounting bolt missing on the lower side of the power steering pump but that wasnt it. any sudgetions would be awesome

Barrman

Check the torque converter to flywheel bolts. They make a noise that sounds a lot like the starter hitting something. Mainly because they are either hitting the starter or flywheel cover as they work loose.

mikes47jeep

by reving a cold engine, you have started the self destruct clock thats the "tick"

well i know the old small blocks new from the factory have valve rattle, but i would have to agree with the earlier posts

hg adams

For about 3 weeks, my 1028 made a ticking noise that I could hear at idle. I spent a good bit of time trying to track it down, but found nothing. Thinking that it might be an injector, I ran a quart of hydraulic fluid through it. I really don't know if this helped as the ticking went away. It could have just been a loose screw rattling around in the engine compartment.

ranchhopper

First thing I would do is check if the exhaust smokes more out of one side of the exhaust more than the other then if one side does smoke than the other crack the injector lines loose at the injectors. Work your way down that side of the engine open one and listen then tighten it back down go from one to another if its a bad injector the ticking will quit when the line is loosened at the weak injector its a place to start thats how I found the bad one I had on my 1008.

67_C-30

this isnt a knock it isnt even a constant or predictable tick.... it is more like a loose bracket or mount than anything else.
Without hearing you truck in person its hard to say, but every 6.2 truck I've ever had has a distinct, erractic, ball bearing bouncing around in a tin can to them. Its not really diesel, but its kinda on top of that, iif that makes sense. It sounds like something is loose, like washer spinning on loose bolt kinda sound. The sound I'm talking about is not a loud, obnoxious sound, its just kinda there. I was convinced on my first 6.2 truck, years ago (an '84 K10) that something HAD to be loose somewhere. I put a wrench on every bolt I could get. The noise sounded it was everywhere, but I was convinced that something was loose in fan shroud/radiator support/grille area, but I never found anything loose. I hear it the most when they are good and warm and just idling. I don't even pay attention to it anymore.

I wouldn't say it sounded like the starter was touching ot anything, so your's may be something entirely different. How long has your's been doing it.

Matt65

My tick is play in the water pump-bearing. I am getting about 1/8-1/4" wobble of the fan. Parts shoud be here this week. The truck is now out of service until the repair is complete.

welpro222

Well guys, I removed the valve cover on the passenger side ( where the noise is coming from) and found nothing? No bent push rods, no broken springs. Any thing else I should check before I close it back up.

Wildmax

Hey guys, just food for thought. Has anyone checked to see if the Harmonic balancer is loose or worn. Seems like a bad one might make some sort of rattling or ticking noise.:driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks