• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6 bolt to 10 Bolt wheel adapters

Kohburn

why 7? these aren't something that you'd leave bolted to the wheels. it would stay on the hubs. yeah one machinist posted in this thread - I'll have to dig up the info of the one who made my set who is likely closer to you.

bugwhacker

Well losing one or having it get damaged in some far away place would really suck, a spare is not a bad idea. That being said If I can get them made out of steel plate I would feel better about the whole damaging them thing.

why 7? these aren't something that you'd leave bolted to the wheels. it would stay on the hubs. yeah one machinist posted in this thread - I'll have to dig up the info of the one who made my set who is likely closer to you.

Kohburn

you can - the machine time will take longer and they will be rediculously heavy. I really don't think it would ever be necessary. most adaptor plates people are using are 1/2" steel - these are 1.25" thick aluminum.

i dug up my CAD file for the adaptor last night and the info for the guy who made mine. I can pass on the info for him and the file incase you want to have someone local quote it for you.

bugwhacker

That would be fantastic if you still have the cad file, do you have a version that has a hub centric center also? I havent really decided which way to go yet.

wrenchbender

while I was working as a ag. mechanic I was tasked with the job of making a set of wheels fit onto a combine that they weren't meant for. the wheels were a larger bolt circle than the hub. I had a shop build a set if adapters for the machine and they made them out of a single piece of metal. I think it was 2 in thick the discs were machined to fit all of the flanges and the bolt holes were countersunk to allow the combine axle nuts to sit below the surface and the backs were also recessed to allow the adapter stud heads to be countersunk.

for my 2 cents I would go with a single piece machined to allow the axle lug nuts and the adapter stud heads to sit below the surface of the adapters. the cost was I think around $400 per for an adapter that was 24 in across

edit:
somehow i missed a couple of pages there seems it is already sorted out to work as i set up my customers combine. altho i would be reluctant to thread into the original hub.

Last edited:

TehTDK

Jeepjake:

That lip at the centre of your adaptor, is that because its hubcentric?

And i take it hubcentric means that you can rest the wheel on the centre while you attach the nuts and its partially supported on the hub, while a nut centric is merely resting on the bolts and their tension, is that correct?

Kohburn

Jeepjake:

That lip at the centre of your adaptor, is that because its hubcentric?

And i take it hubcentric means that you can rest the wheel on the centre while you attach the nuts and its partially supported on the hub, while a nut centric is merely resting on the bolts and their tension, is that correct?
having a hub centering ring can make mounting easier it also can allow you to use non-budd wheels.

Checkmate

I was reading this entire thread today and was wondering if there were pictures of the 10 lug wheels mounted up with adapters, as in all 6 wheels on your deuce. These look like a very good alternative to recentered rims and a great solution to replacement rims/tires since you can now get the 22.5" rims and tires from any Semi tire store.

Thanks for going through all of the "mental-labor" to design these adapters... One last question, do the adapters change the overall handling or capabilities of your truck?

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy

ntxcop

That thread is for adapting MRAP wheels to a deuce, totally different than what they are trying to accomplish in this thread.
Correct, but there are people that are taking their FMTV rims that this thread is referencing, and having the center hole cut out bigger, and then welding the plate into the center hole. There are pics of someone's FMTV wheel with the plate installed. It looks pretty straight forward. Just another option.

I have a set of eight 395 tires mounted on FMTV wheels. I've been researching my options for getting them mounted on my deuce. Outside of purchasing A3 wheels, I've found three options so far, the first is using plates made from this thread, the second is using plates from the other thread and weld them onto the FMTV wheel, and the third is to cut out the center of a deuce wheel and weld it to the FMTV wheel. I've seen threads on each one of the options and am just looking for the cheapest way to get it done.

This is good stuff though, Excellent Work! Thanks

Keith

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks