• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6 bolt to 10 Bolt wheel adapters

Kohburn

per the discussion started here http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?t=56694&page=2

I would like the ability to swap between 6 bolt stock wheels, 10 bolt wheels from the 5 ton and 10 bolt 22.5" wheels for modern retreads.

Cost is of course a concern considering how large these wheel adapters would have to be.

Option 1: The most simple design requires removing the stock studs and threading the hub, then bolting a simple 1/2" adapter plate on from the outside with flush head machine screws (yes they make really large ones up to grade 10). This would be the cheapest option but also requires permanent modification and then you can never use the 6 bolt wheels again. Another advantage would be that you can reuse the stock wheel studs to save money.

Option 2: A two piece design that uses the stock front lug nuts to bolt the first peice in place containing ten 3" long studs. a thick aluminum cover plate then slides on over those studs and once the wheel is in place it is all sandwiched together with the lug nuts. (see picture)

Option 3: A multi peice design that does the same thing as option 2 but does not require more complex machining of the aluminum plate, but instead uses a stack of disks that can be laser cut and welded together rather than machined. (picture to come later)

Attachments

Last edited:

Kohburn

Option 1 is probably the strongest as it is just as strong as welding a new 6 hole face into an existing wheel. the 6 original wheel studs are the limiting factor on the strength.

options 2 and 3 use the spacer to prevent a bending load on the studs and keep it as a sheer load. the 6 original studs should still be the limiting factor on strength. These options also result in a 1.5" track width increase on each side. so 3" wider overall. with stock width wheels this would increase the scrub radius some but less so than the center hub flip, with wider than stock wheels this would improve the scrub radius and give more clearance to stearing gear.

so simple answer, no strength or safety lost.

Last edited:

eldgenb

once you had the ten lug, why would you care about the six lug anymore with the exception of resale in which you can take the time to replace the studs? I say option 1.

Kohburn

once you had the ten lug, why would you care about the six lug anymore with the exception of resale in which you can take the time to replace the studs? I say option 1.
because the best way to attach the adapter doesn't allow you to put the studs back in later - it's permanent. that's really the only drawback.

Kohburn

I dont get why you would want to go back to 6 lug after going to all the trouble to make 10 lug work and 10 lug is stronger with more rim options.
just to be able to go back to stock I guess... but the additional cost of the other options is probably going to overcome that desire and I'll just do option1.

I've got all the hardware picked out and would just have to get someone to make the plates.

come to think of it. going back to stock would be as simple as a hub swap so I probably over thought this one.

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not intending to rain into your option 1- parade but.... don't forget that the front brake drum center plate is also held in place by the original studs, so that had to be addressed too.

G.

I think Option 1 would be the best. As mentioned already, once you fit a 10 lug rim on there, you can put just about every kind of tire available to a 6 lug rim onto a 10 lug rim so there isn't a real need for going back to stock.

Let me ponder this a little more tonight. I may have another idea yet.

Kohburn

looking over the clearances. if the rear hubs are flipped then there should be room to just bolt the plates on from the backside.

Last edited:

wehring

Chucks Trucks

Take a look at Chucks' Trucks website. They are in Ocala FL and build mud bog trucks. They offer a 1 pc 6 to 10 bolt plate. Food for thought...

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

Kohburn

without even getting a good deal - I modeled up what chucks makes and got a quote from e-machineshop for 200$ per wheel then add 50$ for 10 studs per wheel. thats half of what chucks wants.

(e-machineshop is convenient - but not cheap)

wehring

Alignment shoulder

It would be nice to also include a beveled alignment shoulder similar to the hub piloted units. Without it you need a third hand to fiddle with raising/lowering the tire/wheel while hand tightening the nuts to get them seat properly.

It would also be nice to see a 10 lug 13.25" bolt circle adapter plate. The pilot hole is 11" so there is PLENTY of room for the deuce bolt pattern. These are the wheels I use on the bobbers.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

Attachments

Kohburn

Yeah I've wanted to include an integral lip for keeping it hubcentric while mounting.

I've seen some of those wheels with the larger hub hole. Seemed like they weren't as common. they would be easy to make though since they clear the stock 6 bolt studs.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Why is the adapter better than modded Hemtt rims? I only ask cause you can get 6lug Hemtt rims for $250 each. Same price as the adapter plate you mentioned.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks