• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

62 MPH Deuce! This one is for you Kenny!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The super deuce that goes 65 mph, gets 10 MPG and does it all day long up hill both ways rides again. Are you using WMO and cooking oil too :)
I'll wager that it's ATF. I've ran my bone stock deuce 66 before for a hundred miles or so. Rather not. I have warranty engines in the can just in case!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This is not my first deuce..... If you all remember 2007 East Cost Convoy and me passing the convoy at over 70 MPH in my deuce towing a M1008.
If your engine is "tuned" there will be no problem turning 2700 RPM all day long. My last LDT with a LDS pump I would turn 2900 RPM. And doing so for over 800 miles non stop (well one fuel stop but never shut the truck off)

It was a "trucks use left lane" zone.
Interesting, I didn't know "tuning" could compensate for harmonic imbalances, mass, valve spring strength, tensile strength, and sheer forces?

I've seen a few blown head gaskets, and I'm certain someone could hamfist the fuel delivery into melting the pistons down. But after tearing down my engine and doing a light overhaul on it, I understand why these things weren't meant to rev. I don't think we could come close to valve float. (Unless there's a massive amount of boost fed into the engine, which the bottom end isn't going to support) But I can see why the rods and rod bolts would be the weak link in these engines.

I realize you've had a great deal of luck with turning your engines up that fast. But personally I cringe at the thoughts of it.

Westech

CPL
One of the brass pipe fittings broke about 5 miles down the road from Poof's. The truck still ran fine just was leaking fuel oil. I made it to poof's and in the morning we got a heaver duty brass fitting and replaced the broken one. But not before Greg's dog soaked up about a gallons worth.

And as I mean by "tune" is have clean injectors, good fuel supply (IE filters and pumps) Correctly adjusted valves and timing. I reset my valves every spring and you would be surprised how far out they become even after 5-10K miles. Dropping a valve or smacking one with a piston will blow the cam right out of it. There is no give in the push rods.

eldgenb

great job westech, with an initial investment of a couple grand and a scrap value of more than that drive it like you stole it... You can't loose no matter what all of the "professionals" on here seem to think!!
:beer:

Westech

CPL
I'd really hate to see that truck take a 62mph dump but to each his own I suppose.

Well unlike some people here.. cough cough.. I went throu every nut bolt and seal on this truck. Did every single PM you can do on a deuce and replaced/rebuilt every part that looks or even hinted on needed replacing or rebuilding.
About the only thing that will happen at 63 MPH rather then 52 MPH is the bug will splat a little harder on the windshield.

Hilber the sister truck we picked up in TX along with mine we have done all the service too and its very happy right next to yours at 52. Drives like a car at 52 all day all night. Every truck has its very own lovable Speed and RPM.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks