• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

700R4 Wiring info

tut69

I have just installed a 700r4 to replace the original 400 broke by GL. It works fine but I need a simple wiring diagram to hook up the lock up torque. Cant this be done without an expensive internal mod? Thx

Westech

CPL
you can install i kit to work the TCC. Painless wiring and B&M make a kit for around $125.00. Look at Summit racing. I have used the B&M one before and they work great.

jwaller

supply 12 V to either the front or rear terminal on the outermost side of the transmission and whichever terminal you don't use ground that one. the 2 terminals closest to the transmission are not used in this application. unless you are wiring up daytime running lights.

now do remember that depending on application and yr model of the doner transmission you may have wiring in the pan that goes to pressure switches and temps switches that only allow lockup in certain gears.

you will never be able to lock up the conv in 1st or R.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Also, make sure your TV cable is working properly (controls pump pressure based on throttle position) if it's not right, the tranny wont last long....

ETHOS

supply 12 V to either the front or rear terminal on the outermost side of the transmission and whichever terminal you don't use ground that one. the 2 terminals closest to the transmission are not used in this application. unless you are wiring up daytime running lights.

now do remember that depending on application and yr model of the doner transmission you may have wiring in the pan that goes to pressure switches and temps switches that only allow lockup in certain gears.

you will never be able to lock up the conv in 1st or R.

bingo, spend no money

86k10

yes all you need is power to terminal A which is the outside rear. That's all you need provided everything else inside is there. By the way what is the year of trans you put in?

kennyw

I have a stock 700r4 wiring setup I pulled out of my K20 when I converted to a TH400... Including the IP pump switch that replaces the vacuum switch on the TH400. Pay shipping and you can have it.

EDIT: please don't PM me about these parts anymore. They are long gone now.

Last edited:

bgekky3

You can put two switches and lock in overdrive power to one terminal and run second ground to lock in second and third ( I can't remember which ones off the top of my head). My solenoid broke and I put in a new one and wired it direct so that it locks when I flip the switch. The trans can't lock in first. I have a 383 with 500 hp or so and run slicks, 31s, or 37s depending on where I am racing or driving with a 88 700r4 with 120k miles with a shift kit. So far it has held up for over 2 years. The geometry and the adjustment of the TV cable must be correct. I am in the process of moving, but if you need the geometry of the kickdown I can look for it and send it to you.

mangus580

You should really do some google searching on this. Depending on what year the tranny is, what model the vehicle its out of... there is about 5+ different pinouts, and function.

Also, year depending... you can fry the transmission if its not locking up!!

The way I have mine currently wired, it locks up in 2,3,4.... what a PITA.

tut69

Wow...Thanks for all the quik replys. The doner truck was a 1982 1/2 ton diesel. I had the tranny rebuilt by a local tranny shop. The torque converter was replaced with a new one and I am using the transfer case from the donor also. All there is on this tranny is a t/v cable and a square four wire plug. (I have the plugin). I would like the lockup to be as automated as possible so my wife can drive it without hassles of having to turn switches on / off. The donor truck itself is no longer available so i cant get any more parts from it. Thanks for all the help. PS..I am only 45 minutes from Fort Drum NY if I can be of assistance to anyone in that way. Tim

mangus580

tut, I would suggest you buy the B&M kit. Ask devilman96, he just bought one for his... and says its fully adjustable.

Also, check with your tranny shop... the 82 is a model you shouldnt drive without the lockup happening.

tlm47201

Get a pressure switch, 45 psi sets the contacts, and install in the governer pressure tap. Governor pressure is 1 pound pressure per mile per hour, so it will disengage below 45 mph. Wire thru brake switch, and the pressure switch, and you should be fine. should have a throttle switch that breaks circuit at half throttle or so for passing.

devilman96

The B&M kit is the way to go as its "girl resistant"... note I didn't say PROOF!

It wires into the speedo and allows you to set the lock up speed which is really nice for towing, other people driving your truck, being 100 % automatic and driving long distances....

Personally I dont see how you guys sit there and flip switches but I do a lot of road and highway driving, on and off of interstates all of the time!

http://www.dougherbert.com/converterlockupcontrolkit-p-18565.html

tut, I would suggest you buy the B&M kit. Ask devilman96, he just bought one for his... and says its fully adjustable.

Also, check with your tranny shop... the 82 is a model you shouldnt drive without the lockup happening.

Attachments

bgekky3

You can run the trans without the lockup depending on gear ratio and stall speed. Early 80s might not even have a lockup feature. My wife can drive my truck and remember to drive in 3rd around town and put in 4th on the highway and flip a switch when cruising. I dont let my friends that are not capable of flipping a switch when cruising drive my truck. It isnt that hard to remember. You can leave the switch on and put a vacuum and brake switch and have it pretty much automatic.

acmunro

tut69, Did you do this swap on a M1008 ? I am looking at doing the same swap from an 82 1/2 Ton Diesel longbed I have. Did you use the 1/2 ton Driveshafts ? Did you have to change the U-joints at the axle ends to match up to the 1 ton differentials ? Were the lengths ok ? Thanks for any help or tips. Al

kennyw

tut69, Did you do this swap on a M1008 ? I am looking at doing the same swap from an 82 1/2 Ton Diesel longbed I have. Did you use the 1/2 ton Driveshafts ? Did you have to change the U-joints at the axle ends to match up to the 1 ton differentials ? Were the lengths ok ? Thanks for any help or tips. Al
When I pulled the 700R4/NP208 and put in the round pattern TH400/NP208 I used the original driveshafts from my truck. They are the same length overall and use the same driveshafts for the same chassis length.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks