• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

72 M35A2 Recovery

danny81

Hello all, Planning for my first Deuce recovery scheduled for next weekend 5/14/11.:jumpin:
The truck is located in Texarkana, TX so about 400 miles away. Planning on taking hwy 67 south to Little Rock and Interstate 30 on down. The owner says he drives it weekly so it's supposed to be in pretty good mechanical shape. Only issue is a rear axle seal leaking a bit.
Planning on driving it back, in the process of trying to find a trailer for back up just in case murphy shows up.
Anybody close by in Missouri or along the way want to take a road trip?
Can't wait to get it home

No pics yet but i'll be sure to update later

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck with the recovery!

And, as usual: Make sure you do your PMs before getting on the road. Finding out that the 'small axle seal leak' turns out to be brake fluid half way through the trip would not be fun...

Oh yeah, better update with pics, video would be better for us visual types...Otherwise your gonna get flamed with: nopics rofl

danny81

Good luck with the recovery!

And, as usual: Make sure you do your PMs before getting on the road. Finding out that the 'small axle seal leak' turns out to be brake fluid half way through the trip would not be fun...

Thanks gonna need it!!!!!!
And YES i'm gonna be checking everything out on this truck before I head out with it, I'm perty nervous about that long of a haul, and even more so each and every time I speak to the owner, He said he just drives it. And thats about all he knows about it. Thinking about serviceing it before I leave with it.
I don't know if K Mart would have a problem with me doing that in their parking lot or not. Thats where I'm supposed to meet him at next saturday.
I'll be trading him my CBR 929 for it straight up, dont know whos getting the better deal but, I do know i'll be putting more miles on the deuce than I did my bike.

I was able to get some pictures of the truck, It's no beauty queen but give me ten or fifthteen years and it might look a little better

Attachments

roscoe

A lot of stuff can be wrong and still be drivable for the deuce. Go over it carefully. If it runs well, has no major leaks, good brakes and tires, good oil pressure etc - 3K or less from the looks of it seems fair to me. Servicing it sounds like a good idea if the seller hasn't. Don't forget to bring extra belts along with the other pm stuff. Good luck and hope it works out.

danny81

I didnt even think about belts, Thanks Roscoe!!!! that really hurt about the 3grand or less though. Didn't realize it was that big of a loss
But I really needed to get a slower toy, nothing better than that besides a deuce I guess. Actually planning on making it a daily driver after I make sure its road worthy, hoping it already is but we shall see.
Guess I need to find some belts hoping Oreillys or Napa stock them.

ARYankee

I'm in Benton which is along your route.. I've been to Texarkana and driven a deuce back from Hooks. I'm out of town at the moment for work but I fly back home on the 14th. If you need a pit stop or help, PM me and I will give you my info.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I did not see a spare mounted. Is one included? Finding a replacement out on the road could be a booger. Those are not 900x20's on there.

There are several threads about recoveries that tell what to take along but never forget that Mr. Murphy is always standing by and the one item you didn't bring will be the one you need.

Spare fuel filters are a must as is a big jack and tools that will fit the lug nuts.

Make sure you have hearing protection (muffs not earplugs).

Good luck with the recovery and be sure to post pics and a narritive (After Action Report).

cookeemann

Dude, I just drove mine 680 trouble free miles on my recovery and lesson learned, soft top + 50 MPH x 8 hours = a need for duct tape or definitely some sunscreen!

And Motrin. Fighting that steering wheel will wear you out!

Just take your time and keep it slow.

Good luck Brotha!

Last edited:

danny81

Wreckerman it dosent come with a spare, I still don't know the tire size yet. I do know they are 395's but thats it. The owner informed me that he knew where a mounted spare was but hasn't gave me the contact information yet, he mentioned it was 300 bucks for rim and tire. Dosen't sound like too bad of a price does it?

I'm gonna check with broman and see if he's got a spot I could service the truck.
I've been reading every post I can find on this subject, and it seems like the more i read the less i remember.
Question, Does Napa carry the belts,hoses and filters for these trucks?

hdmax

To make that trip in ten hours, you would have had to average 68 mph, so either the trip was much shorter then you think, or it took more like 14 hours.
But congrats on the recovery!

Dude, I just drove mine 680 trouble free miles on my recovery and lesson learned, soft top + 50 MPH x 8 hours = a need for duct tape or definitely some sunscreen!

And Motrin. Fighting that steering wheel will wear you out!

Just take your time and keep it slow.

Good luck Brotha!

Smokinyoda

Welcome to the club danny, I lived in Bell City many moons ago. My parents still live in Puxico. Good luck with the recovery, I went 10 hours for my first one!

keep us posted!:jumpin:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get a spare even if its a 9.00 20. In a mission critical situation one rear axle corner can be chained up.

bulldawg

Road trips are not always rough. I picked up my Pinz in Fayetteville, AR on Thursday afternoon and even after sleeping in until 10:00 Friday I rolled into Houston just before dark. Just remember, old iron likes to be treated with kid gloves (at least until you get to know her).

danny81

Well the recovery is off, After he agreed we had a deal friday, he sold it today .
Guess I'll keep looking
Thanks for all the advice yall, maybe i'll put some of it to use soon

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks