• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

7520lbs and 130 hp

Garagefull

As the title says. Scales at the landfill said 7520 LBS. Somethings going to have to give, 130 hp is simply not getting the job done. The Duramax conversion is too darn much money, A turbo is not going to help much way down low. I said that I would never do another Cummins conversion, as they are just too tall and too long. The only thing gasoline Is good for is weedeaters and lawnmowers. Options are a tad bit thin, and I really do not want to complexity of a common rail. Any good ideas?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
As the title says. Scales at the landfill said 7520 LBS. Somethings going to have to give, 130 hp is simply not getting the job done. The Duramax conversion is too darn much money, A turbo is not going to help much way down low. I said that I would never do another Cummins conversion, as they are just too tall and too long. The only thing gasoline Is good for is weedeaters and lawnmowers. Options are a tad bit thin, and I really do not want to complexity of a common rail. Any good ideas?
Dt466. Seen em in 1 ton ford trucks. Or a dt360.

Or buy an old school bus with a 444 motor or any ofnthe above-mentioned. Pretty cheap that way

Garagefull

I found this interesting....
I have a Impco system That has been eating up garage space for years. Maybe I need to pull it out and give it a good look. I’m gonna pull up the specs and dimensions on that DT. I’m not looking to build a race vehicle, and the 6.2 is actually doing as well as you could expect it to, simply just not enough there. Those 37 inch tires are dropping my RPMs so low that she simply not making any power.I keep seeing the NV 4500 conversions on here and I’m wondering how in Over drive those trucks could even pull themselves down the road.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I have a Impco system That has been eating up garage space for years. Maybe I need to pull it out and give it a good look. I’m gonna pull up the specs and dimensions on that DT. I’m not looking to build a race vehicle, and the 6.2 is actually doing as well as you could expect it to, simply just not enough there. Those 37 inch tires are dropping my RPMs so low that she simply not making any power.I keep seeing the NV 4500 conversions on here and I’m wondering how in Over drive those trucks could even pull themselves down the road.
A dt360 is the same as a 5.9. Dt466 is 100 cubic inch bigger but lots more power can be achieved. A DT360 maxes out around 230hp

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Not like when I was 16
There is a zillion things one can do now. Used to be We had to take unknown stuff and make it good. $$$

55 years later there exists many many options to work with.
Imagine 70 million engines built!~! So who could count
The machining alone has become perfect now, not like in 1966.
Golly, One can pick, even from NEW now.

Study Study, choose and be happy.
And don't yank the universal's/driveshaft right outahh Her with full clutch dump.
Dont, ask me how I know how.

Garagefull

Oh you want 6.5 turbo power. Here I am at 21,000 lbs gcwr uphill at 55 mph.
But if we take the load weight off and a locked converter away from your setup,I cant put enough heat thru the turbo to produce boost.
Now let’s take your truck and take the load off.I am using arbitrary numbers here, with the load off I only need probably a fifth of the throttle as compared to load on. There are simply not enough BTUs in that little bit of fuel rate to light the turbo to produce adequate boost. So if I’m cruising down the highway with no load at let’s say 1850 RPM, very little to no boost. Put a load on that same truck where it takes 60% of the throttle to produce the same RPMs, the injection pump is injecting far more fuel. That is where boost comes from, heat. Heat drives a turbo, not the velocity of the escaping exhaust gases. It is the amount of heat energy in those exhaust gases that drives the turbine. Please don’t get me wrong, I have Been driving 6.2/6.5 engines almost since they were introduced andheat. Heat drives a turbo, not the velocity of the escaping exhaust gases. It is the amount of heat energy and those exhaust gases that drives the turbine. Please don’t get me wrong, I have been driving 6.2 /6.5s Virtually since they hit the market.
Lets say 1/5 throttle, 1850 rpms running down the road unloaded.Now add a 10k load and the same rpms going down said road takes 1/3 or more throttle.We are injecting more fuel than before at the same RPM and speed. That extra fuel is where your boost comes from. At the lower RPMs, where my truck is used primarily, I can never get enough fuel rate into it to make the turbo produce the low end torque and horsepower that I need. Due to the shorter stroke on these 6.2/6.5 you have to be careful about lugging.I love these old motors to death, but I don’t want to try to Re-engineer around a basic design.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The turbo 6.5 seems to perform very well loaded or unloaded. It will blast up hills at 75 mph unloaded, with the 21,000 gcwr it was only able to maintain 55 mph uphill in overdrive. If you are looking for an easy power plant upgrade for a CUCV, drop in a NA AM General 6.5, add the GM side mount turbocharger, and upgrade with 4L80E and stand alone transmission controller.

Attachments

linemech31

I own 3 common rails and a ls pickup. You closed a lot of options. Understandable so. Maybe look into a cat or dt466 swap? Im go8ng down the 454 road myself. The 456 gears make the truck feel light up to highway cruising speeds.

linemech31

The turbo 6.5 seems to perform very well loaded or unloaded. It will blast up hills at 75 mph unloaded, with the 21,000 gcwr it was only able to maintain 55 mph uphill in overdrive. If you are looking for an easy power plant upgrade for a CUCV, drop in a NA AM General 6.5, add the GM side mount turbocharger, and upgrade with 4L80E and stand alone transmission controller.
I used a 6.5 2000 3500 drw 2x4 dump truck with a "rugby" dump body at work. Weight was 8k empty. The only thing that sucks more than the power output of a stock 6.5 is the sound it makes. Or maybe the hot no start issue thats supposed to go away if you relocate the computer. 🤷‍♂️

linemech31

Im not trying to be a hater but hooking up 21k to a 6.5 and going up any grade in overdrive isn't happening. And by 21k i mean 21k combined across the scales.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im not trying to be a hater but hooking up 21k to a 6.5 and going up any grade in overdrive isn't happening. And by 21k i mean 21k combined across the scales.
That's why I snapped those pictures I posted. I couldn't believe it myself. Truck is bone stock.

LT67

6.5 Optimizer will drop right in there with a different oil pan. Put a turbo on it, adjust the injection pump and let it fly..

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only thing gasoline Is good for is weedeaters and lawnmowers. Any good ideas?
Gasoline would also be good for getting you exactly what you need but you've sworn it off. A 6.0 would be perfect balance between power and efficiency.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks