• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

7th times the charm?

tobyS

Grendel, what do you have for the wheels and tires and axles on your trailer? I'm wondering about using M105 axles, but probably with dual 9.00's.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow. I pray that things "get better".......ya had some time and effort involved, plus some grey matter. If you're gonna sell, hope you get a good price for her and that the sale benefits you tremendously against whatever you've come up against.

Thanks for sharing her construction.

Another Ahab

Wow. I pray that things "get better".......ya had some time and effort involved, plus some grey matter. If you're gonna sell, hope you get a good price for her and that the sale benefits you tremendously against whatever you've come up against.

Thanks for sharing her construction.
A second here to that motion, and wishing you good positive and strong adventure ahead.

Outpost603

So I got this beast from Grendel and while it will get finished, it's definitely a slow work in progress. I've been working on getting the bed I bought mounted at the moment and will post a new build thread once I have enough progress made. Also, I am completely green with these military trucks so hopefully the TM bombs can be kept to a minimum (unless that's how you show a guy love around these parts). Anyhow, I am happy to have my first 5 ton!

tobyS

Welcome to the site. Pictures....we like pictures.

Is it a completed 4x4 or are you doing that to it? What model? Do you have a boom/crane?

Outpost603

It is a 4x4 900 Series. I just finished cutting up an M105 as a subframe, mounted that to the main frame and have dry fitted the bed to the sub frame.

Next on the list is to weld up the wheel wells and make them into storage boxes. Truck is nowhere near complete but is an excellent start. Once the bed is done I'll focus on completing all of the cab work. In the end it should be a decent pickup with hydro tilt bed. Grendel essentially handed me over a storage shed worth of stuff to get me going in addition to the truck itself. Thanks for the welcome guys.

IMG_0808 2.jpg

tobyS

Cool truck. Was the frame shortened? Take some photo's of the rear suspension if you have a chance. With the axle at the back, it will handle heavy tongue weight real well.

I'm working on my M35A3 without the M105 bed yet and need a few dimensions. Can you help me out? I have an M105 rear frame section and axle, but not the bed. I need two, no three measurements. First, from the rear of the bed to the center of the wheel-well and second, the overall length of the bed on the outside. I'm using 50" and 110" but fear the 110 is an inside dimension (not including tailgate, just bed). Oh, a third...the bed thickness, not including the frame rails (which is 5" itself, isn't it?). Thanks.

Outpost603

Toby -

These are "ishish" measurements - it's getting ready to rain again so I wanted to run out and grab them for you before I got started on my homework (yeah almost 40 and I decide to go to school now).

The bed on the outside is 110" plus the width of the tailgate AND the 1.5" that the ribs and lip on the top extend. I cut my frame at 110" and it fits like it was meant to be there.

The frame is 5" plus the supports 2" for a total of 7" in height before you hit the bottom of the bed.

The bed height itself is 20.5"

The outside width of my bed is actually a tad over 83" outside corner to corner.

My rear suspension is Peterbuilt Air Leaf. If you go back in the posts, Grendel has a couple pics of it. The only thing I have towed so far is the M105 trailer that is now on the frame. This reminds me that I have the axle and wheels with good tires if anyone needs them so I guess I should take a pic of those and post them in the appropriate section.

If I didn't get anything you need just let me know and I will get that for you tomorrow when it is nicer outside.

Almost forgot - tailgate opening to center of wheel well is about 50"

IMG_0816.jpgIMG_0817.jpgIMG_0819.jpgIMG_0820.jpgIMG_0821.jpgIMG_0822.jpg

tobyS

Perfect...that's exactly what I needed...thank you Outpost603.

My deuce doesn't need as much height. I'm using 395's....and two 3.5" square tubes popped out of my weeds that are prefect length....so I have the rails. I'm going ahead and make a hinge at the rear for a dump addition when ready. Will use bolts for the short term.

I have a thread for fitting the 105 bed here: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?180544-M105-bed-placement-on-4x4-M35A3. I'm getting the bumper fairly well made up and thinking about hinge points and the bed frame (which you used the trailer). Please make comments and suggestions on my plans and work in progress.

Thanks again for taking the measurements.

tobyS

Did you buy the crane? What a deal! I bought the M322 and wish I could say I put it to good use, but haven't.

Have fun with your new MV stuff.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks