• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

800 series road speed

rwelker

Ok all you 800 series owners, what's the comfortable road speed of a stock 800 series truck? I'm thinking of switching to a 5 ton for the truck I use to work with. My deuce with 14.5R 20s will run a comfortable 52 all day and I don't want to get any slower. Thanks, Rick

5tonpuller

Great looking trucks. With 1,200 gals.9600lbs. + 60-70 mph= a long way to STOP on them brakes. Even with 5 ton.
I don't mean to be negative. I been driving trucks since I was 13. Stopping is a very large battle in it self when you have to.
I take my time. Like about 45-50. If I'm to slow, pass. Some times on 2 lane routes I find a place every few miles and pull over and let the traffic pass. ( lol dad why is it when I look out the back window all I see is a big bumper and winch? ) LMAO
Like a said, I don't mean to be negative, sorry guys. Most of us know at hi speed stopping these trucks can be very interesting. The FD I used to belong to had a old power wagon, ( from the CD ) and used it for a brush truck. We ended up putting a hyd vac. on it to help in stopping it with the water and other things that was on it.

acetomatoco

yup, for sure, the only thing keeping the brakes working in a single circuit hydraulic system is one 40 year old rubber cup in a single wheel cyl...without that no brakes at all..and 30000 lbs of not even loaded 5 ton going down the highway at 70...stay away from me...most preventable accidents are caused by folks overdriving their brakes...or their sight distance..

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Even worse is with a tank 1/2 empty. I used to work for a oil service company and we were always hauling water and drip gas away from locations. It really gets interesting when you have 500 gallons in a 1000 gallon tank and it gets to sloshing. It can change the center of gravity in an instant.

Westech

CPL
I took my M813 up north this weekend (its still up there, I will talk about that later) but I passed a speed sign (tells you how fast your going) and it said 57 mph

Autocar

Bought an XM813 out of March Air force base(So. Cal) and drove it right off the base home to N. Cal 400 miles. Bone stock off the base ran 52 MPH flat out all the way home. Ran pedal to the metal and the engine govenor set the speed at 52.

No.2Diesel

Ditto Ron. Must stay at or below 2,100 RPMS

Hey R Welker,

Will we be seeing you at the Rausch Creek Off Road Rally in October? Your one of the closest board members to RC. Going to be loads of fun...

CGarbee

FWIW

There is a Performance Data table in TM 9-2320-260-10 on page 1-26 with the following maximum speeds listed:
60MPH, M812A1, M821.
52MPH, M813, M813A1, M814, M815, M816, M817, M818, M819, M820, M820A1, M820A2
The only vehicles with a reduced maximum speed listing for "w/towed load" are the M816 and M819 where it is dropped to 25MPH!!

This assumes an "as issued" truck...

I personally have a hard time running faster than the TM specified limits just because I hate to break things, and I'd hate to try to expain to my insurance agent why I was running faster than the "design" limit...

AMGeneral

According to the data plate,Max speed is listed as 50 mph.BUT getting there is another story!!!It takes approx 1/2 a mile to get up to speed,but being that the M816 weighs in at around 37,000 lbs that's not all that bad.Speaking from expierence at max gross weight(truck + towed load) figure it at about 1 mile to get to top speed.(that doesn't count if there are any hills in front of you!!)

Coveralls

Just drove my 816 home from Ripley, about 600 mi last week. It has new XL,s 11x20's on it and the wife clocked me at 65 to 70 on I94. That is with the throttle pulled out all the way. The speedo said 55 and 2200 rpm. She don't smoke and drove like a new truck all the way home.

some of these speeds stated here make me wonder about a few things. my XM818 with 11;00's will not do 60 MPH without over revving the ole 250. its rated at 2100 RPM's and i dont like to run over that. i am sure will can let us know how well these cummins like the added RPM's that some are running. i have a 335 that is itching to go in my XM818 but i don't want to grenade the little guy just for a excuse to swap them out. dont get me wrong here as i dont care what anyone does to there own stuff its just that some of these numbers dont add up.

loslobos11

my truck will do 60 comfortably on 14x20's. However, my comfort zone is more like 45, all it takes is one sh*tbag to pull out in front of you and you have a whole lotta attention. Besides, whenever I go anywhere in the truck it is about looking good in a large camo truck, not how fast I'm going. Just my thoughts....

dma251

I used to use a gps to check the speed on my old M813 with 16-20 xl's and I could hold 60 fairly close to redline. 55 was much more comfortable, though. Even at 55 - on the freeway that a reasonable speed for a truck like this. It's not like you'd be alone there in the slow lane.

I wouldn't advise going much faster then that in a truck like this simply because the margins for error are too narrow. If a front tire goes, or a steering system failure occurs, you could be seeing the horizon change locations pretty fast. These trucks offer virtually nothing in the way of rollover protection, so you could pretty well figure that would be the end of your hobby with mv's.....

What's the hurry? I love these rigs, and nothing's more fun then getting out on the open road with them, but as a family man who's wife and kids might be in the car next to you, don't push it.

jwaller

the worry for me is that I have a 1000 trip each way and 55 makes for a very long trip. 65 or 70 makes that trip much more enjoyable for me

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks