• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

802/803 fuel pump fittings

69birdman

20190201_200539.jpg20180124_125132.jpg

It's been discussed that the Airtex e1074 is the replacement fuel pump for 802/803s , but where do I find the specs of replacement fuel line ? (Circled parts)
Nsn #s lead to no actual description of said parts. Or did I overlook it somewhere, crosseyed from chasing #s.
Thanks
Brian

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

I do not know if a part # was assigned to it. They had it all as a complete replacement kit which was a reset item. It was made to replace the square Facet pump.

MEP-802/803 fuel pump

The 800 series TQG has 2 different fuel pumps. The older style is a square Facet electric fuel pump. The newer style is a round Airtex E1074 fuel pump. This is the primary pump location item. A lot of the units already have these mounted, or have been replaced with the round Airtex fuel pump.

MEP-802A fuel pump (primary)

MEP-812A fuel pump (primary)

MEP-803A fuel pump (primary)

MEP-813A fuel pump (primary)

The picture below shows the components.

airtex E1074 24v fuel pump.jpg

NSN 2910-01-565-9234 E 1074 PUMP,FUEL,ELECTRICAL 24V (pump only)

NSN 2910-01-553-6571 FILTER ELEMENT,FLUID (small barrel filter only)

NSN 2910-01-491-1340 PARTS KIT,METERING AND DISTRIBUTING FUEL PUMP (full replacement kit = pump, filter, and steel line piping*(approx. 4 inch piece)

I also talked with Airtex about the unit. They are hooked with Southern Automotive.

I called them, they want nothing to do with it, unless you are buying 100 units.

The NSN 2910-01-491-1340 is the full Facet replacement kit. It has the pump and the little 4 inch hard line connector.

I wanted a full kit as a spare, but not finding it.
:(
At one time some were sold here ( old listing )

Last edited:

Kenny0

In my opinion, if you didn't want to keep it original. I would just use an elbow and a hose barb fitting, cut the steel line and put in a diesel rated rubber fuel line and call that good. Use a tubing cutter on the steel line, not a hack saw or abrasive wheel. Even though the steel line isn't barbed or have the knob on the end, because of the low pressure a hose clamp would hold out just fine. If you wanted extra insurance just double hose clamp that end. That would also act as a vibration dampener.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my opinion, if you didn't want to keep it original. I would just use an elbow and a hose barb fitting, cut the steel line and put in a diesel rated rubber fuel line and call that good. Use a tubing cutter on the steel line, not a hack saw or abrasive wheel. Even though the steel line isn't barbed or have the knob on the end, because of the low pressure a hose clamp would hold out just fine. If you wanted extra insurance just double hose clamp that end. That would also act as a vibration dampener.
Putting a flare on the end of steel tubing to help hold a rubber hose from slipping off is pretty easy. If you dont have a flaring kit, Autozone will loan you the tool for free.

If one is going to get involved with hard lines, might just as well just get the right fittings and do the complete circuit.

pjwest03

PTFE braided stainless is cheap enough these days. It should outlast the generator and/or the owner.

69birdman

Thanks for the help guys, "Demoh" clued me in on the fitting size to my existing lines -4AN or 1/4" JIC to 1/8" NPT. I can get the 4" hardline made at a Carquest store. Thanks all, I'll post pictures & description of parts when I gather it all.

Bmxenbrett

You can make steel lines easy enough with vehicle brake line and flare kit. Copper nickel line is wonderfull stuff to work with.

I think this fuel system is around 12psi max so even rubber fuel hose with hose clamps would be fine. That pump just lifts fuel to the injection pumps.

Demoh

Thanks for the help guys, "Demoh" clued me in on the fitting size to my existing lines -4AN or 1/4" JIC to 1/8" NPT. I can get the 4" hardline made at a Carquest store. Thanks all, I'll post pictures & description of parts when I gather it all.
To add info because it causes me a headache and may save some people in the future:

-4 AN on the inside of the generators, and the aux hoses are the next size up being -5 AN. IDK if that holds true for anything bigger than an 803, but just an observation on the smaller ones. My 006 is -5 internally so far.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, the low limit is hit, and if it AUX mode, it will activate the aux pump. If you are just in run though, nothing will happen.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For anyone interested, not the short rigid line in question... but (1) of the long rigid lines off these sets is up on the big auction site right now under the search term '[FONT=&quot]MEP-803A Hard Fuel Line '.[/FONT]

diyernh

What is the current replacement main fuel pump for an MEP-802A? I have an E1073 installed that is dead. There are misc posts out there that the E1073 was a 30 PSI pump. I have looked for the Facet 40193 that was also supposed to be that pressure. I can't find anything in 2022. Facet cube pumps look to max out at about 15 PSI.

As I understand it, that main pump lifts fuel to the injector pump and the excess overflows back to the tank.

This generator is in the Addirondacks where temperature can dip to -30F. I believe the high pressures could be good for moving cold/gelled fuel through the filters. I really don't want to reduce the PSI and have difficulties at cold.

Facet lists a 40317 cube pump that is 12-15 PSI but is 50 GPH. If this flow rats is too high, and gelled fuel is overflowing, could this pop off the overflow hoses?

Thanks,
Carl

pjwest03

What is the current replacement main fuel pump for an MEP-802A? I have an E1073 installed that is dead. There are misc posts out there that the E1073 was a 30 PSI pump. I have looked for the Facet 40193 that was also supposed to be that pressure. I can't find anything in 2022. Facet cube pumps look to max out at about 15 PSI.

As I understand it, that main pump lifts fuel to the injector pump and the excess overflows back to the tank.

This generator is in the Addirondacks where temperature can dip to -30F. I believe the high pressures could be good for moving cold/gelled fuel through the filters. I really don't want to reduce the PSI and have difficulties at cold.

Facet lists a 40317 cube pump that is 12-15 PSI but is 50 GPH. If this flow rats is too high, and gelled fuel is overflowing, could this pop off the overflow hoses?

Thanks,
Carl
Facet 40193N is available. They're a bit spendy. Any of the Airtex 24V pumps will work with plumbing modifications. 24v Carter pumps like the P74018.

In my experience, nothing will push or pull gelled fuel through a filter in any meaningful way. Tends to just destroy the filter. The wax plugs every pore in the filter material. Filling the filter with Diesel 911 is about the only solution. The military solution is running all the diesel engines on JP8. (Also for logistical reasons)

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Thanks,
Carl
Simple solution is don't let your fuel gel. Put the correct additives in your fuel ahead of time.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ive used the Airtex E8135, I think others have also used the 8131 from memory... but a search of the forums should reveal more info.

Ray70

L.I.T.D is correct. I've used quite a few Airtex E8135 to directly replace the older Cube style Facet pump. It will drop right in using the original fittings.
To replace a failed E1074 is slightly more difficult because the E1074 has a permanent Right angle outlet on it, so you need to also use some 1/4 NPT X 1/4"JIC ( #4AN ) right angle adapters, but the E8135 is about $40, so fairly affordable to keep in stock.
As for the short adapter pipe that was added to machines when they were updated from the Cube to 1074, you can easily fabricate your own using 1/4" steel brake line and 2 female #4AN nuts and a flare tool.

diyernh

Thanks guys. I just ordered a Airtex E8131. Rock Auto prices were down to about $27 for me, but the shipping was hell. I don't know where that was shipping from , but the shipping was $65 min to $856. Amazon will deliver today for $41 cost/ free shipping. I understand the gelling issues. Things happen.
This generator is at a friends house, off grid. There are times when things aren't the best. Having some pressure margin could be a game changer.

We have matching MEP-802A's. I'll first check try the install at my house, then ship the assembly to him to install.

I don't know the exact failure conditions. My friend mentioned his wife ran the generator for all day and ran it out of fuel. It took me a month to get out to his camp. It turned out this pump was shot. I'll browse around some. I though MEP-802A's had a fuel shut off gauge to ensure they wouldn't pump dry/ loose the prime.

Carl

Ray70

Interesting... I just ordered some ( fairly heavy ) truck parts from Rock Auto and they shipped from 2 locations to RI for a total of around $30 for the 2 big heavy packages. Guess they keep their fuel pumps stored in their Alaska warehouse!
Now back to the 802... so if your friend's wife ran it out of fuel, either the low fuel shut down isn't working, or she really didn't run it dry and it just shut down with a low fuel fault ( as designed )

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks