• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

803a Problem

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
I don't have a fuel pressure meter at the moment. I just got done swapping out the the main and axillary fuel pumps hoping the there possibly was a pressure issue with the main pump, nope. Same effect, no fuel at the injector pumps. Great fuel flow before the injector pumps at the fuel supply line.
Well, just block off the return to the tank and with the pipes to the injectors loose, crank it and see if it primes the pumps.

hcso2332

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, just block off the return to the tank and with the pipes to the injectors loose, crank it and see if it primes the pumps.
I blocked of the return and still nothing from the injector pumps. Thanks for the all the tips m-35tom.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
Ok, well now it is time to do an autopsy on a pump!! If they don't work, you can hardly make it worse. Looks like the top fitting comes off, I would suspect there is a delivery check valve there, it may be stuck or missing. Just remember all this is very precision and must be kept very clean and at the same temperature for assembly. Just the heat from your hand on one part can keep it from going back together.

Knuckles

Today I attempted to pull the injection pumps out. They refuse to come out. Anyone have any ideas on what's holding them in? I followed the TM but it's a no go.

hcso2332

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today I attempted to pull the injection pumps out. They refuse to come out. Anyone have any ideas on what's holding them in? I followed the TM but it's a no go.
You have to turn them all the way to the left and manipulate the fuel solenoid a bit to have them pull out. It took me a while to figure it out.

Knuckles

Never did get the injection pumps out, but fuel started flowing. Maybe the rack was stuck? Anyway, all I get now is lots of black smoke - it won't start and I'm out of ideas. Guess I need to do a compression check?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
you need to be very careful and have a plan for when or if it becomes a run away. remove the pumps and be sure the fuel control sleeves move VERY easily, also the rack that moves them. something was or is stuck or sticky. use 2+2 gum cutter to disolve the old diesel fuel that is causing the issue.

Knuckles

I'm not sure it's ever going to start, but my run away plan is: I unhooked the connection from the air filter to the intake and I have a small board to cover the intake cutting off all air.

hcso2332

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, well now it is time to do an autopsy on a pump!! If they don't work, you can hardly make it worse. Looks like the top fitting comes off, I would suspect there is a delivery check valve there, it may be stuck or missing. Just remember all this is very precision and must be kept very clean and at the same temperature for assembly. Just the heat from your hand on one part can keep it from going back together.

Well I decided to buy two new pumps which arrived today. Got them both installed and still no fuel being pumped out of them. I can only guess the governor system is the culprit?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
Never did get the injection pumps out, but fuel started flowing. Maybe the rack was stuck? Anyway, all I get now is lots of black smoke - it won't start and I'm out of ideas. Guess I need to do a compression check?
crank it with the switch by the filters so the shutoff solenoid is in the off position. is there any smoke now? use the preheater and do the same, any smoke? this will indicate if it is the fuel system or if there is just a lot of fuel or oil in the cylinders.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
When I cranked it with the dead crank switch there was no black smoke.
ok, well it just sounds like it is too cold to start. maybe the heaters are bad. put a hair drier on high in the air filter intake. it is normal for there to be a lot of black smoke at first because they start at max fuel delivery.

Knuckles

The heaters work fine and it was 60 yesterday. I will try draining fluids again and replacing filters and see what that does. Does anyone know the civilian equivalent fuel and oil filters for the 803a. I've had no luck looking them up.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
The heaters work fine and it was 60 yesterday. I will try draining fluids again and replacing filters and see what that does. Does anyone know the civilian equivalent fuel and oil filters for the 803a. I've had no luck looking them up.
are they not the same as the 802?? oil = 51374, fuel = primary 33472, secondary 33348 (wix)
as to not starting, you know the pumps are working and the heaters are heating, so about the only other thing is are the nozzels spraying fuel correctly in a mist or just a stream. odd that all would fail at once, so i tend to doubt that is it. black smoke means it is igniting the fuel so compression must be at least good enough. could be that the fuel is just not getting there at the right time. there is a procedure given in the manual for checking the injection timing, if it were way off it would do just what you say.

ETN550

When I cranked it with the dead crank switch there was no black smoke.
The dead crank switch is to turn over the engine only for prelubing or other service work. No fuel is turned on. dead crank will not start the engine. If you want to try starting it using the dead crank and bypassing the control panel then you need to power the electric fuel pump inside the door and hold the fuel shutdown solenoid back. Then it should start, but not make electricity.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
The dead crank switch is to turn over the engine only for prelubing or other service work. No fuel is turned on. dead crank will not start the engine. If you want to try starting it using the dead crank and bypassing the control panel then you need to power the electric fuel pump inside the door and hold the fuel shutdown solenoid back. Then it should start, but not make electricity.
etn550,
we wanted to know if the fuel was being injected or left over from some other event. this proved the injection system was injecting.

Knuckles

I changed the oil and all the filters again. Everything is very clean (fuel system) so I don't think that's the problem. I'm right back where I started with lots of black smoke but no start. Anyone know of a good place in Northern Virginia to get the injectors gone over? I'm at a loss of what else to do st this point. Everything else seems to be fine - although I say that with limited experience with diesel engines.

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found this in the manual in reference to the black smoke:

8. BLACK OR GREY SMOKE IN EXHAUST.
Check for improper grade of fuel.
a. If improper grade of fuel, drain fuel tank. Service fuel tank with clean fuel of a proper grade
(TABLE 2-2). Prime engine fuel system in accordance with TM 9-2815-253-24.
b. If proper grade of fuel and trouble persists, notify next higher level of maintenance.

I would agree that the electrical system is working, as there was no evidence of black smoke by using the dead crank switch.

But I am not quite sure of what "Higher Level of maintenance" would mean in your case. I probably would take m-35tom's offer and check the unit out with him.

Peter