• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

88 A2C all the way home.

greenjeepster

So I poked around in the truck today, tested the Alternator and at first was excited because it was putting out 27.5 V when I first started it up, but after about 3 minutes it dropped to 23.8 Volts and then drops even lower if I turn on the headlights and it doesn't bounce back.

So now I have a decision. Rebuild, replace with NOS or adapt a Delco? I can get a regulator for 65.00, but what if that isn't the problem? I would have to get a bracket made to adapt a new alt as I don't have the tools around to fab one up.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What genny do you have in it? Post pics or model #. 23.1 V with the "high demand" items on isnt something I'd be too concerned with.. But lets see..

greenjeepster

I will get a pic up tomorrow, the data plate is too dirty to read in the dark. I turned the regulator up, with no results. The batteries read 24.5 with the truck off.

greenjeepster

I have put the alternator on the back burner as I am still trying to wire the gauges.

Of course the numbers on my harness do not match what the TM shows; here is what I have.

1 spider harness all tagged #27
Male wires marked: 33, 36, 28, and 85.
Female wires marked: 27, 17, 40 and 40 Yes I have 2 #40s

I guess that 27 is my ground so that will go to the spider harness, I am also guessing that 85 goes to the volt meter as it is the only wire long enough to reach that gauge.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I just had to re-wire a truck that came from GL, as all the gauges had been ripped out. I could have sworn the 27 circuit was the 24V power for all the gauges (marked "IGN" on the back of the gauges) and that 27 was all that went to the voltmeter.

Let me check, brb.

EDIT: Yes, 27 is the voltage that powers the gauges.

Last edited:

greenjeepster

I have the CAD Schematic. it is no help...

Clinto: what does 27 plug into? The voltage gauge is self grounded so only one wire runs to it... Is it off of the spider harness or truck harness?

greenjeepster

According to the schematic, 85 is the air pressure switch, so that would explain why the buzzer isn't working.... still haven't figured out what it plugs into..

lavarok

Really? It has the info you seek. Though I prefer the copy I am uploading now. The CAD drawing incorrectly lists wire 38 as part of the temp circuit. The wire is actually 33 per the pic I attached and experience in just doing this job myself.

Wire 27 goes to the spider harness.
Gauges and wires per schematic are:

Oil - 27 + 36
Temp - 27 + 33
Volt - 27
Fuel - 27 + 28

Wire 40 is part of the light circuit at goes to the dash lights
Wire 17 is the high beam indicator light

Wire 85 goes to the air switch and buzzer located on the firewall behind the heater duct that leads to the defrost vents.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Clinto: what does 27 plug into? The voltage gauge is self grounded so only one wire runs to it... Is it off of the spider harness or truck harness?
Yes, one of the #27 wires from the spider harness will plug into the sole pin of the voltmeter.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

greenjeepster

Update

Thanks to Lavarock I got the wiring for the gauges figured out with the exception of the one numbered 85. On the firewall I found the air buzzer and it has a wire running into it which is numbered 85. Then it has a wire running out of it numbered 85 which is the loose wire that I have no home for.

I still have a generator Gremlin. It charges the batteries sometimes and doesn't at other times... When it is charging it drives the volt meter well over into the red zone, Reading off of the batteries read as high as 29.5 volts and I shut her down; not wanting to find out how high it will go.

Numbers on the Gen are as follows:
A00132AE
NSN 2920-00-909-2483
SN 145848
Mil G 46795E (AT)
60 amp
Reversible.

I finally replaced my broken tail light with the help of my son. While I was re-connecting the right side taillight he wanted "the ratchet so he could do his side". Which wasn't broken and didn't need to be replaced I may add. So I gave him the ratchet and continued what I was doing. A few minutes later he yells "I got it" and I look up and the driver side tail light is hanging from it's harness and he proudly walks over and hands me the bolts. He is three and I didn't know he knew where to place the ratchet. So I got a camera and took his pic for all to see :grd:

Attachments

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Thanks to Lavarock I got the wiring for the gauges figured out with the exception of the one numbered 85. On the firewall I found the air buzzer and it has a wire running into it which is numbered 85. Then it has a wire running out of it numbered 85 which is the loose wire that I have no home for.
The loose 85 should go to the Low Air warning light on the gauge board. Older A2 duces did not have it it was a add on and I think standard on the A2C.

peashooter

I still have a generator Gremlin. It charges the batteries sometimes and doesn't at other times... When it is charging it drives the volt meter well over into the red zone, Reading off of the batteries read as high as 29.5 volts and I shut her down; not wanting to find out how high it will go.

Numbers on the Gen are as follows:
A00132AE
NSN 2920-00-909-2483
SN 145848
Mil G 46795E (AT)
60 amp
Reversible.

I finally replaced my broken tail light with the help of my son. While I was re-connecting the right side taillight he wanted "the ratchet so he could do his side". Which wasn't broken and didn't need to be replaced I may add. So I gave him the ratchet and continued what I was doing. A few minutes later he yells "I got it" and I look up and the driver side tail light is hanging from it's harness and he proudly walks over and hands me the bolts. He is three and I didn't know he knew where to place the ratchet. So I got a camera and took his pic for all to see :grd:

Thats a good helper you have there. If I handed my 3yo a ratchet she would find some frame hole to put it in with no easy access to get it back out