• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

8V92s all over GL

plowboy

Does anybody know anything about all the 8V92s showing up? From the pictures they appear to be pulled from something being scrapped...would they be M911 or HEMTT or something else, or is it the same spec engine either way?

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
more to come

I picked up a m101a2 at red river army depot @ hooks in late Dec. I can tell you they have 100's of them coming up. I saw several being picked up from a previous sale and my loader told me they are about to flood the market with all these.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
They are **** good boat anchors and oil leakers. Good for power if you can find a truck big enough to put it in. or got an M911 laying around. Like the one that sold at Riley last summer for 9k that needed an engine I think.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well just cause they are on the GL lot doesnt mean they are going to go up for auction. They could be just storing them there. Like Malmstrom has 3 M819s still sitting in the back, can be seen in some of the lot pictures they have taken of other stuff.

plowboy

I have a soft spot for DDA 2 strokes. I can think of lots of good things to do with a good running silver 92, hence my interest. Are the HEMTTS being repowered with Tier 4 engines?

I do not understand why my question is offensive to anyone, but I have edited it to be more obtuse. aua

KsM715

The only reason it may be offensive to some is because the way you worded it, it sounds like your asking about an upcoming auction. That is a no-no around here.

Instead of asking about the 100's coming up at GL, you should have just asked what type of MV equipment used a 8V92 and if it was being replaced with something new.

plowboy

I apologize for the infraction. I must confess that I was not aware that this type of question was taboo. :oops: I could, however, as easily have been asking about the hundred or so that sold last month. So, lets move forward with that assumption, please.....:beer:

Does anyone know if a HEMTT has a variable speed governor or a truck governor:?:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like to add that there almost always are reasons why a motor gets pulled. Very infrequently are good motors swapped out for no reason. They almost always have problems like low oil pressure, or other signs of wear. I did hear that they swapped out a lot of perfectly good stuff (e.g., tires, motors) when trucks were headed to Iraq and Afghanistan as they did not want any mechanical troubles while there. This makes sense. Still, I would always assume the motor needs a rebuild unless it comes with dyno speaks or a turn in sheet.

plowboy

With the pure volume that showed up, it sure looks like an across the board type of deal going to C15s, probably because of emissions. I'm wondering where the transmissions went...surely they would not leave the old manual body Allison in with a C15?? Someone like me would not pull an engine which was perfectly good, but I've learned that the government isn't really someone like me! Worst case, OH kit for a DD isn't too bad, anyhow.

We have a 3116 sitting in the shop right now which looks for all the world like it has not been started since remanufacture. It was partially disassembled. We took it down to look because the overhead was screwed up, and made us wonder what else was screwed up. A friend bought it along with a 6.2 which also appeared to be unused. I also have a C7 which does not have the paint burnt off the manifolds....but ECM is missing. Plan to use it to replace one in a truck which has natural ventilation added to the block, so we have enough parts to make it go.

sandcobra164

I'd love to have a 8V92, I just don't have anything to put it in!!! Those things make tons of power. I've driven many HEMMT's which are very heavy trucks and that screamin jimmy makes them all look like they're standing still. We always ran night convoys and our mechanics claimed they had uncorked the governer's on them. Believe it or not, we'd turn 3,000 rpm at an indicated 70 mph. on most good straights. The speedo in a HEMMT's goes to 80, never made it there but bouncing around 70 was the norm during my second tour and they hit the corner's with more grip than most sports cars despite the higher center of gravity!!!

plowboy

3000 is spinning for an 8V92, but they will definitely do it. If people were shooting at me, I'd have the governor opened up, too.

So without talking current auctions, has anyone pick one up from the past auctions? Or has anyone watched them close and for how much $$ did they close for?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just as a point of comparison, I bought (about two years ago) a verified zero mile, freshly rebuilt motor in the can with dyno specs from a surplus dealer in CA for $7,500 and that was the "as delivered" price to FL.

plowboy

I ended up with two last month. Both turn and are complete. One appears to be removed and stored, the other has tags from 2006 and i do not think it has been installed since it was rebuilt. Prices were very reasonable. Plan to use one in a tractor and the other will probably get used by me or a friend. Can anyone verify that these are vs governor engines?

spicergear

I picked up an 8V71 single turbo one time that was listed as 'no run.' It had four stuck injectors. I cleaned pulled, disassembled, cleaned, and reinstalled them and it ran like a champ. A guy came the whole way up from the Gulf Coast to get as it matched a generator engine on his rig.

plowboy

Further research leads me to believe they are variable speed to 1850 rpm then speed limiting abovev
That, which for my purpose should be just fine, although a little odd.

For the people who love to go on about "2 strokes have no torque".... The 8v92ta has about 300 lb ft more torque then a big cam III 400. There is a 365 hp spec that has the same peak torque as the 445 does.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Double Brested Driptriots will make power but:

They are heavy.

They suck fuel.

They are lound.

They suck fuel.

They slobber if you don't idle them up.....if you idle them up they suck fuel.

They are very cold natured.

They suck fuel.

If they run out of fuel they won't suck fuel.....you have to pressurize the system to get the &(*)%^%(* to crank......been there, done that.

The above being said I'd like to have one to put in an MV hotrod......maybe a bobbed 800 series 5 ton with a big blower and twin turbos on it. With the big Allison behind it you would have a big, fast truck.

plowboy

Double Brested Driptriots will make power but:

They are heavy.

8V92TA is significantly lighter weight then a 3408 or KTA, which is what it took to get comparable power at the time.

They suck fuel.

brake specific fuel consumption similar to the competitive engines of the era. Better then earlier models, not as good as later models. A DDEC will hold it's own against any mechanical engine.

They are lound.

So is a KTA or 3408 with out muffler. An 8v92ta with a good muffler is smooth and sweet.

They suck fuel.

Bull

They slobber if you don't idle them up.....if you idle them up they suck fuel.

Don't intend to let it sit around and idle.

They are very cold natured.

Start as well as anything else we have ran.

They suck fuel.

Bull.

If they run out of fuel they won't suck fuel.....you have to pressurize the system to get the &(*)%^%(* to crank......been there, done that.

Have to do that on most any diesel if the tank is below the pump.

The above being said I'd like to have one to put in an MV hotrod......maybe a bobbed 800 series 5 ton with a big blower and twin turbos on it. With the big Allison behind it you would have a big, fast truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks