• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

8x8 Deuce

Mark2X2

I know your thinking about an 8x8 Deuce. But, I just thought I would post is picture of a 5-Ton truck. I saved this picture off this website a while back.

dodgeman,
That looks like a 5th wheel plate on the arm off the front bumper. They must tow that wreck with a tractor from job to job. It has a slasher saw off the back, I wonder if the forward wood out to where road tractors can get it?
Mark

odjeeper

REO actually built an 8x8 with two front steering axles on a deuce chassis in 1953. It was called an XM282 and used the power steering setup from a five ton. They made the truck a cab-over with a 15' cargo bed. The engineering that went into hanging the second front axle and making it steer is pretty intense. I could probably get you some pictures of the setup if you want to pursue this project.

JeremyB

REO actually built an 8x8 with two front steering axles on a deuce chassis in 1953. It was called an XM282 and used the power steering setup from a five ton. They made the truck a cab-over with a 15' cargo bed. The engineering that went into hanging the second front axle and making it steer is pretty intense. I could probably get you some pictures of the setup if you want to pursue this project.

Yes I would like to see some pictures of the truck .:-D

odjeeper

Here are the pictures you wanted:
First is a picture of the right side from between the front wheels, Second is from the front right side, Third is from the front left side, Third is from between the wheels on the left side, Fourth is same but a slightly different angle, Fifth is from behind the cab looking down in the second front axle.

This truck is a cabover so has a number of changes from a conventional cab, but it should give you some ideas of how they overcame the problems of two front steering axles. One thing which may not be readily apparent, the engine/transmission/transfer case was moved to the right to clear the axles. The frame is also 10" wider than stock to allow more room for the engine shift, the axle tubes are also 10" wider than the stock axles.

Attachments

Unforgiven

I think 8x8 is great. But on pavement you don't need it. Make it a lift axle mounted to pneumatic bags or hydraulics. When you need it off road then lower the 4th axle. A single axle w/wheels is about 2000 lbs give or take. That will NOT affect your registration status with the DMV. It will only decrease your on-pavement payload by 2000 lbs. In a 10,000 lb payload truck does that really matter?

A rear, non-steerable, liftable axle would be easier. Place it just rear of the cab. It would keep you from high-centering & would provide extra powered traction off road. It would only engage when you engage the front driveline.

2cents

jdknech

i'm going for a hemtt "look" that said, i plan to start with a 40ft straight frame, and plain as i go. i just needed to get the steering worked out before i start... once i get that part done, its clear sailing! lol

offroadexpeditions

8x8

Here are the pictures you wanted:
First is a picture of the right side from between the front wheels, Second is from the front right side, Third is from the front left side, Third is from between the wheels on the left side, Fourth is same but a slightly different angle, Fifth is from behind the cab looking down in the second front axle.

This truck is a cabover so has a number of changes from a conventional cab, but it should give you some ideas of how they overcame the problems of two front steering axles. One thing which may not be readily apparent, the engine/transmission/transfer case was moved to the right to clear the axles. The frame is also 10" wider than stock to allow more room for the engine shift, the axle tubes are also 10" wider than the stock axles.
Hi, I have the same project plans in my head, want to make 8x8 deuce. If I am not mistaken, on the pics there is a pitman arm attached to two drag links, each steering one axle? And there is only one gear box? Thanks, Peter

offroadexpeditions

8x8 deuce

i'm going for a hemtt "look" that said, i plan to start with a 40ft straight frame, and plain as i go. i just needed to get the steering worked out before i start... once i get that part done, its clear sailing! lol
Hi, I have the same goal, have you already started with your project?

offroadexpeditions

Hello all,
I have been thinking of makeing my deuce a 8x8. I want to use the tandem axle setup from another M35 back and two stearing axles up front, kind of like the Tatra or HEMTT.

What do you all think? I haven't seen a single post or pic of one yet.;-)
Hi Jeremy, do you have any news about your 8x8 project? I am looking for ways how to make 8x8 deuce. Hemtt or Tatra would be too heavy for my application. Peter

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I dunno...I've seen civilian cranes set up with two steering axles....maybe start with one of those & switch the cab + other stuff out? Then you only need an Associate's Degree in Redneck Engineering.

offroadexpeditions

8x8 deuce

I dunno...I've seen civilian cranes set up with two steering axles....maybe start with one of those & switch the cab + other stuff out? Then you only need an Associate's Degree in Redneck Engineering.
I know- but they are too heavy for my application. I had off road hummer tours in past, and I am looking for something bigger, but I don't want to get stuck when I get some rain.

mcmullag

hey looky there

Maybe you could get some steer linkage ideas from a M656 like member 'Cranetruck' has. sample pic of one of these from googling attached.....
personally I think tackling a project like solving world peace would be easier than this endeavour. :)

Attachments

offroadexpeditions

8x8 deuce

Maybe you could get some steer linkage ideas from a M656 like member 'Cranetruck' has. sample pic of one of these from googling attached.....
personally I think tackling a project like solving world peace would be easier than this endeavour. :)
I was going to contact him. It would be perfect if there are more of 656s available and I can base the operation on them. Every other 8x8 is too heavy. I have to build something by myself.

Stalwart

That is a picture of my old truck, I had it at an event celebrating the South Vietnamese that fought with us.

plym49

To calculate the steering arm/tie rod arrangement, calculate the Ackerman for each steering axle. This is an imaginary line originating at the steering knuckle axis (with the wheels straight ahead) and then straight to the center of the rear axle - since you have a tandem rear, then to the center of the tandem. The steering arms must exactly follow this line. This gives you the angle of the steering arms and the length of the tie rod. That's the easy part. Now figure out the linkage. I would love to see how it is done on cranes, etc. with two steering axles.

Truckoholic

Jeremy, the way I see it.......... The more opposition and nay saying you get from the group here, the more drive you should have to be able to accomplish this:) That's the kind of person I am. If I am met with opposition, I only push harder.

I have actually spent a great deal of time looking into what it would take to do this myself. Looking at how the steering linkage would work, and drive shaft angles and everything. I live for stuff that is different and makes people say "Why?". I never have understood people who say "Why would you need something like that?" Or "There is no need for something like that!". Comments like that only make me want it more:)

I think if you personally feel you might have the mechanical and engineering ability to make it happen, by all means, have at it! We all of course would love to own a HEMTT, but since it is out of our price range, maybe an extra axle or three under the Deuce or five ton just might hold us over for a couple months or so. ha ha.

I wanted to do two steer axles, and 4 drive axles, and leave the first two drive axles right where they are, and extend the bed, and put the other two drive axles behind them with the back of the bed just slightly overhanging the rearmost axle. So there would be 6 axles total. And since I know the deuce and a half engine and drivetrain would have a heck of a time turning all of that and would probably never get over 15 or 20 miles per hour and be more subject to breakage, I decided it would have to be built with a 5 ton truck. So I've spent quite a bit of time envisioning this beast, and just what it would take to build such a thing. I think it would be totally awesome. Of course then I realize, by time I put all the time into building it, I could probably afford to just buy a real HEMTT. Although, I keep my eyes open and search occasionally for one for sale, and have just not seen one listed anywhere for quite some time.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks