• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

915a1,tanker,tanker

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I'll bite....73m819, what is it and what does it do, etc. You know you can't post something like hat and get away with it.

BTW, the other train looks awesome Reb87!!!
It is a pic. posted by USSR, It is a pic. of a Russian truck tractor pulling a set of tank trailers

reb87

That other one would be slick eliminating that intermediate steer axle would make backing a little easier...tankers for water to agri sprayer and fuel storage deliv to irrigation motors

Hammer

While I wouldn't use that setup to tow the tanker loaded, it is a great idea for recovery!
Any way to pin the dolly for easier backing?

eldgenb

nice job ross, did you hit the scales or drive it like you stole it? When I brought the 920 home I blew threw every scale from ft polk to spokane wa with not even a sideways glance.

reb87

I actually had my dot number and kept log but only one station was open bobbing into KS but they green lighted me thru

Danger Ranger

73m819, thats very funny, but for real, what is it??? Inquiring minds want to know...

For the real tanker trains, such as the ones for hauling oil, how do they do it, does anyone have a pic of one of those hitches?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
73m819, thats very funny, but for real, what is it??? Inquiring minds want to know...

For the real tanker trains, such as the ones for hauling oil, how do they do it, does anyone have a pic of one of those hitches?
FOR REAL
It is a pic. posted by USSR, It is a pic. of a Russian truck tractor pulling a set of tank trailers

jasonjc

Have you watched Ice Road Trucker? They pull tanker trains on there.

The frist tailer has a fifth wheel plate on the back of the trailer and the 2nd trailer sits on top of the frist.

Danger Ranger

Nope, I haven't seen IRT for a year or two now...nor have I looked into tanker train hitch setups. Thanks.

OK 73m819, i get it. Its russian. I hoped for specific info like a model or a year or something, whatever.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those Russian tanker trailers were used to haul liquid rocket fuel for the ICBM missiles that other tractors hauled.

reb87 - that's a long train of trailers there, takes a special person who is comfortable with doubles that can handle that. Too much truck for me....

Hammer

When I drove a double tanker setup (hauled milk, so smooth bore), the total combo was around 85' long.
It's amazing how well doubles like that can track though.

13F10

:idea:Has anyone ever considered the idea of converting one of these over to a RV? I mean, they're surplus..I KNOW, I KNOW.. and considering such, some are more than likely not in the condition to be used for their original purposes anyways.

I'd like to see the original tank utilized for the body, and go from there. I would like to see some interior pics of inside the trailer too.. get an idea for internal space and all. I can think of a few different ways to set up a interior to convert on into a homebuilt 53ft AIRSTREAM camper.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been in mine cleaning it out several times. No way anyone could stay in one comfortably. There are 6 baffles, the two up on the nose are too small for my hips to get through. the floor is sloped to the center. All the welds and edges in the tank are rough- I always end up bleeding somewhere when I have to go down in it. If you are only say 5ft tall or less, you might be able to stand up where the manhole is.

Next time I'm down in mine I will get pictures.

I really need more tankers now, but I won't be getting more military ones, I really need 6k capacity. The fact that mine is only 5k has lost me lots of loads.

PS if you don't need one of the level sticks, I really need another one. Or at least one to copy! Could you put a tape against it and take some pics, so I know where the levels are? My driver broke mine and instead of keeping it threw it out at the shippers location.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had soldiers who cleaned out the 5K Water tankers with cleaning solution every 6 months. They were the same as the M969's. Wasnt a fun job, but they did it in shorts and T shirts.

Ferro, There are the 7.5K bulkhaulers the Army has, but they dont have filter seperators, nor refueling hoses.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had soldiers who cleaned out the 5K Water tankers with cleaning solution every 6 months. They were the same as the M969's. Wasnt a fun job, but they did it in shorts and T shirts.

Ferro, There are the 7.5K bulkhaulers the Army has, but they dont have filter seperators, nor refueling hoses.

My tanker is a M967, which is the bulk hauler, no hoses or filter either. I have only ever seen 5k military tankers (or less)

Over on FT Jackson, they are rolling in with tons of the M967a1, brand new. Same exact tanker, just on 22.5 rims and tires, and they have a vapor recovery system, which my tanker is set up to accept. So the gov contracted these new tankers and surplused my 'old' tanker. Fine with me, and wrong with me on several different levels.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks