• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

jw4x4

I think they do have lock up during deceleration. That is the reason for the ABS upgrades- to keep from stalling the engine (equals loss of steering). And when mine downshifts, I can really feel it. I am sure someone with more knowledge will chime in here. I kinda like the idea of an exhaust brake.

quickfarms

Please look at the model number tag on the side of you trans. I know it is a MT654 but the suffix will tell you if it has a retarder built in it. An Allison dealer or tech support should be able to confirm if this information. I believe that your trans is lockup and probably also has the retarder in it. If it has the retarder you would need to contact both Allison and the exhaust brake manufacturer to se if they are comparable. You can also download the operators manual from the Allison web site.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, they do lock up on deceleration, at least some of them do. I had a terrifying surprise when driving a new to me truck the other day. Came into the freeway exit hot and laid on the brakes pretty heavy. The last downshift or two made a terrible racket and killed the motor. Thought something had blown up.

Scared the **** out of me but nothing was wrong. Just the shift points out of adjustment.

It's a great feature of that transmission, you get engine braking when decelerating, but it does take some getting used to.

quickfarms

Oh, they do lock up on deceleration, at least some of them do. I had a terrifying surprise when driving a new to me truck the other day. Came into the freeway exit hot and laid on the brakes pretty heavy. The last downshift or two made a terrible racket and killed the motor. Thought something had blown up.

Scared the **** out of me but nothing was wrong. Just the shift points out of adjustment.

It's a great feature of that transmission, you get engine braking when decelerating, but it does take some getting used to.
If I remember correctly the shift point adjustment is internal on the mt series trans and is best set on the bench.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The TMs give the shift point adjustment procedure. I didn't want to fool with it and had the Allison dealer do it. Not entirely happy with the results of their work but it is much better.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What are you not happy about?

Not happy with the adjustments made. The truck still upshifts early at a lower RPM that it is supposed to, which is what the dealer was supposed to fix. It will upshift at 16-1700 RPM in some gears when it should shift at 1900.

indy4x4fab

Banned
I know I will more then likely get a butt crewing over this but can an engine brake be put on a m818's NHC 250 with out having a turbo added to it, or put anthere way can a person add a engine bake or jake brake to a na250 cummins?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks