• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

939 fuel tank capacity

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I check my fuel tanks with a 3/16" ( I think it is 3/16") painted steel rod.
On the A2's you have to go at a little bit of an angle.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My fuel gauge works like a dream. Dont get me wrong, I still carry a full Jerry can just in case. Its always better looking at fuel than looking for it.

Last edited:

plode

Well I put a chain wrench on it, pulled as hard as I could. Won't budge. I tried giving it a little impact with a rubber mallet...won't budge. Put some heat around the filler neck...still won't budge. Used a cheater pipe on the chain wrench too.

My fuel gauge doesn't work, so it would be nice to physically measure the tank to see how much I've got, but this thing doesn't want to unscrew.

ke5eua

Well I put a chain wrench on it, pulled as hard as I could. Won't budge. I tried giving it a little impact with a rubber mallet...won't budge. Put some heat around the filler neck...still won't budge. Used a cheater pipe on the chain wrench too.

My fuel gauge doesn't work, so it would be nice to physically measure the tank to see how much I've got, but this thing doesn't want to unscrew.
You should be able to see where the strainer and the filler neck meet.

Definitely don't want you to break anything.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post a picture of your filler neck area.

We can then show you where.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I'm not even exactly sure how/where the two come apart. Anyone have pictures to make this a little easier to figure out?
Are you looking at the pics posted on this thread? Post # 8

Artisan

Mikey you can get real close if you just do some simple math
and then go to most any online conversion website that does volume .

Fist, go out and measure the LENGTH and WIDTH and HEIGHT of the tank.

Multiply the L x W = Y

Then multiply Y x H = Z

Z
= your total (approx.) cubic inches. Take Z and CLICK HERE

Once there, select CUBIC INCHES on the left and GALLONS US LIQUID on the right.

Fill in the blank and hit calculate.

Like I said, real close less radius corners and other displacements.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
When I pick up a truck, I stick the tank with a piece painted wire, NEVER I repeat NEVER trust a military fuel gauge, they may be dead true one second and lie like a lawyer the next second.. Figure out roughly the mileage then subtract 25% when driving, that is your fill up point, ALWAYS carry a marked fuel dip stick.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use good ole fashioned "bailin wahr". It is useful for many things at the same time. Of course the problem is finding old fashioned bales that use wire since most have nylon cord nowadays. (not really...I usually carry a roll of wire that I bought).

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is right hand thread.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could always drill a 1/2" hole through the sides and use a bar in the hole.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drill the holes in the piece that you are removing.

You can get them welded later id you wanted to.

zout

Are you leaving room for fuel expansion?

Your fuel tank should have a tag welded on it that says it's capacity

The point was made by DH and not me but I would have asked the same question. The strainers were also put in there so with the nozzle filling the tank cuts off at the correct fill level - which should be 80% of its rated volume - thus leaving room for expansion.

I have the identical problem with commercial vehicles and drivers - first always trusting the gauge when its policy to LOOK IN THE TANK. If they run out of fuel by trusting the gauge - driver pays the breakdown costs to get him going again PLUS the cost of the fuel.
We have all done this and thus the second point - you "should" never fill to the neck of the tank - but I do it anyhow so do not listen to me its only a point.

Our On Site Fueling service never fills to the top of the neck.

You will run out of fuel before the gauge and fuel level get low enough because the pick up tube does not sit at the bottom of the tank - there is always some left (not like having ice cream around with kids - they lick the bottom of the bucket to get it all).

ke5eua

Are you leaving room for fuel expansion?

Your fuel tank should have a tag welded on it that says it's capacity

The point was made by DH and not me but I would have asked the same question. The strainers were also put in there so with the nozzle filling the tank cuts off at the correct fill level - which should be 80% of its rated volume - thus leaving room for expansion.

I have the identical problem with commercial vehicles and drivers - first always trusting the gauge when its policy to LOOK IN THE TANK. If they run out of fuel by trusting the gauge - driver pays the breakdown costs to get him going again PLUS the cost of the fuel.
We have all done this and thus the second point - you "should" never fill to the neck of the tank - but I do it anyhow so do not listen to me its only a point.

Our On Site Fueling service never fills to the top of the neck.

You will run out of fuel before the gauge and fuel level get low enough because the pick up tube does not sit at the bottom of the tank - there is always some left (not like having ice cream around with kids - they lick the bottom of the bucket to get it all).

When driving on trips I fill it to the top on my 818. If I know it's going to sit before I fill I won't.

I know about expansion, but do we forget our tanks have vents for this reason. They knew a soldier wasn't going to stop at the strainer, nope, he was going to over fill it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks