• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A BRAND NEW M1010 for $14k?!?!?!

acmunro

Low mileage trucks

I got a M1028A2 that currently has a little over 16k miles. And TRUST ME, it drives like it.

Granted it's 25+ years old as well, but it was well cared for and rarely driven, because you just can't get a 'new truck ride' out of a 100k truck WITHOUT a complete rebuild, which the military rarely did, and NEVER that I've heard of on any CUCV's.
I agree 100%. Low mileage trucks are still out there. Some of the crowd always says its 100,000 plus or the odometer has been changed yada yada yada. I know that happens, But I picked up a 86 M1028 last year from GL with 2600 miles. Yes I realize it is not a new truck. I didn't pay new truck price.
If you have been around these trucks any time at all you can tell if it is low mileage. Nothing is worn on it. The texture is still on the steering wheel the doors close perfect. The seat is perfect. No wear on any mechanicals - (driveshaft yokes-front end etc).
Whoever won the M1010's I guess its up to them if they got a good deal or not. I would not have paid that kind of money. (I don't have that kind of money to spend is one factor) I have several M1010 one has 15,000 miles I guess that's going to have to be nice enough for me.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Not me, even though I am in Vegas now. . . :twisted:

Just have seen trucks go for a mint, only to show up for auction again soon after.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I'm gonna disagree with almost everyone here - for the serious preservationist, 14K for a all-original truck with less than 100 miles is a deal. The catch is - keep keeping it indoors, and don't drive it (to speak of, if at all).

Think about it - if this were a 64 Ford Mustang with 76 original miles on it - how much would it go for? If it were a 1986 Corvette with 76 original miles, how much would it go for? Even a routine auto - say a 1952 Ford - what would it bring in that same condition?

While granted the Mustang and Vette are "hotter" properties than a CUCV - there probably were also more of them built than the M1010 - making the M1010 "rarer".

Extrapolating this a bit - if someone in 1945 had shoved a WC-54 Dodge ambulance into climate-controlled storage with 76 miles on the clock, what do you suppose that would bring today at auction?

As a point of reference, there is a similar WC-53, beautifully restored, offered for sale for over 50K.

And it is RESTORED - these vehicles are only original once. One of the major mistakes that folks make, in my view, is to buy a really clean truck, and "restore" it. The finished product then is no different or better than the worst piece of junk in the same sale, also restored.

Perhaps even worse is the "makeover' - wrongly called a restoration. We've all done it - bought a 1975 M35A2 that served its whole life with 7th Kitchen Company of the Ohio National Guard, added a winch, hard top, heater, MG mount, and painted it semi-gloss OD and slapped on 101st Airborne markings from Vietnam, and then proudly showed off our "restoration". No part of that process is a restoration....its a characture.

Which would be more desirable, a real, bonafide 1965 Olds 4-4-2, but the bare-bones model - or 1965 Olds Cutlass that had been "cloned" into looking like a fully-loaded 4-4-2? Why do many of us consider our MVs different?

If the average MV enthusiast owned the famed "Venus De Milo" sculpture, he'd fab up some arms, stick them on, paint the whole thing a marble color, and call it restored!

The M1010 in question is the real deal - hopefully it'll be preserved as such.....and, if so, at some point in the future, some guys on an internet forum will be talking about the steal that was had back in 2010 on a couple of Mint M1010 ambulances.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

Last edited:

K9Vic

I ran across this article a few weeks ago where the guy talks about trucks being in underground storage and how he came to own his CUCV. I wasn't aware the military does this.

JPC CUCV M1009 Blazer

This is what I was going to post as an example as well. I have seen this M1009 and it is still in excellent condition.

----

I am also going to agree with DDoyle,
That is a good price for a piece of history that needs next to nothing to be restored for a museum or show military truck. There is a high demand for good condition military trucks, ones that need no restoration just like a classic car restored is worth allot more. I was thinking those would sell for about $8-$10k, but was not surprised they sold for what they did. I bought my M1010 in fall 2009 with 19k miles and from a local police department that kept it inside. They got it from the the military with 11k miles in 1993. My M1028 has 20k miles and bought directly from GSA, but shows more wear/age because it was stored outside.

saddamsnightmare

May 31st, 2010.

Admittedly, I haven't seen the truck in question (in photos); Admittedly I did see new M1010 Ambulances in West Virginia going for $29,000 off the dealers lot with like 450 miles on the odometer (whatever the drive distance was from Detroit to Martinsburg & Charles Town, W.Va.) in May 2007......
Respectfully, I will back David Doyle's play up above here, as I have no doubt he's seen more military vehicles in more conditions then I would ever presume to know..... So, What's the Beef? CUCV's are common as dirt right now, but as DD says above about the WWII WC-51, or a Burma Jeep, or any other common or uncommon vehicle of WWII, what's it gonna be worth if the man gives it dry indoor storage, climate controlled, and coats the tires and seals with silicone regularly, in about 50 years.....?????:???: There's a good equivalent thought in "Raiders of the Lost Ark' where the French Archeologist remarks about Indy's pocketwatch if it were buried in the desert for a thousand years.... a $10.00 watch would then likely be priceless, so what about a CUCV?
I observed recently on EBAY the attempt to sell three (3?) working DUKW's from a tour company in Little Rock, Ark for starting at $100,000 a piece. Now I did not see any of us knocking down the doors to get at those DUKW's, but what do you suppose they went for surplus in 1946? Or the common as grass CCKW's? Sometimes we "restore" vehicles to like new condition, when we would do better to preserve them in "Motorpool" condition, beyond the essential safety considerations, because the "Motorpool" condition shows the trucks with their in field mods and improvised repairs, which are a wealth more knowledge then a truck off the factory floor gives us.....
:deadhorse:
Just my .02 worth,fat lady sings

Last edited:

watkinssr

The market for collectors vehicles has always been bizarre. I just got through writing an article about a car museum closing and auctioning off the cars. A bunch of dead mint cars, some that hadn't been started in 30 years, and who knows what it will take to make them run. There was a 67 shelby gt 500 fastback sitting there, original everything, hadn't been started in god only knows how long, but it's gonna bring a mint.

Back when I restored motorcycles for a living there was a story about a BSA goldstar that was comming up for auction....I read about it in the vintage bike papers. Already a rare bike, it was the last one made, and had the documentation to prove it...attached to the crate. When it had arrived, the dealer, realizing that it was the last one never opened the box, and there it sat.-- a motorcycle, in a box, that if you open the box to so much as look at it, you destroyed a lot of the value, let alone ride it. You'd have to xray it to even see if it was in there. It was the last chance anyone on this earth would have to open a brand new BSA motorcycle and see how it was shipped from england.

I have no idea what became of it, last I heard it hadn't met the high reserve put on it for the auction.

Stuff like this is worth what people will pay for it, but the history of getting to see what is there brand new, unmolested has a value to some people.

adrianspeeder

War Ready Materials right thur for sure. In my travels around the world now I've seen lots and lots of brand new everythings just sitting and waiting. Middle of the desert I stopped and saw a chainlinked area on a base with i'd guess 500 trucks, 100 of mainenance stands, generators, connexs, and who knows what else. All only ready to be used if they really have to.

Adrianspeeder

Hal O'Peridol

I ran across this article a few weeks ago where the guy talks about trucks being in underground storage and how he came to own his CUCV. I wasn't aware the military does this.

JPC CUCV M1009 Blazer
This is what I was going to post as an example as well. I have seen this M1009 and it is still in excellent condition.

----
What about the sticker proudly posted on the truck that states "THIS VEHICLE IS NOT PROCESSED FOR STORAGE".

I was in the Army for over 12 years. Many of the "Underground storage areas" referenced by collectors do not exist. And neither did the "flooded underground airplane hangers" in Germany.

niferous

I have never seen an underground storage area either. If you read some posts I've put out before I worked underground too. The only thing we stored underground were our computers.

I'd like to know how this guy found out how the vehicle was stored or if he was just told that when he bought it.

Last edited:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably get raped at GL right now while the EUC clears...........

Wonder how the driveshaft and trans case held up to the forklift?

nhdiesel

I'll add my 2cents. As a mechanic and general auto enthusiast, I have to say that I can see some of both sides of the argument, but my feelings are that the truck went for too much. Here are my reasons. Yes it sat in a nice, dry area it's whole life, so rust is not an issue. But that hot, dry area also made sure every seal and rubber in that truck will be shot. Plan on an engine, trans, and t-case teardown to replace rubber seals, hoses, and even dry rotted gaskets. Then add in all the dry rotted window seals, door weatherstrips, the usual GM cracked dash pad, dry rotted seat belts, etc. And those cherry seats? Sit in the once and I bet they crack apart. Its an excellent starting point, but don't expect it to "be like new".

Value: Low mileage in a collector vehicle only means something if its documented. Does anyone have previous registrations showing mileage? Nope, its a MV. Any other actual proof of the mileage being original? GL paperwork means nothing, tons of Deuces have rolled out stating they had 50 miles on them, because they have a fresh speedo. When the next buyer wants proof of this truck's history, where is the proof this is an original truck, and not just a clean 50k mile truck with a new speedo? You know it, I know it, but without paperwork, it means nothing.

With all that said, its still worth a lot to a person who wants a very clean truck to spruce up for their personal pleasure. Paperwork and true value means nothing to them, its all about personal happiness at a rare find.

Jim

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was a nice truck but what if it is leaving the country and the buyer is trippling his money. Could be a good day for him/her?

NEIOWA

Likely Navy/SeeBee inventory. They seem to have quite a few vehicles they stock and never use. Typically civilian model and located in Norfolk or Gulf Coast.. In the last couple months 30+ 6x6 IH and Ford dump trucks and 1/2dozen 4x4 GMC (civilian) Type I ambulances. 50-1000mi (drive from factory to upfitter).

Obviously few survive to reach govliq. Are snapped up by rural Fire Depts with glee. Dump become tankers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks