• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A/C Retrofit Kits

yeager1

I got my kit yesterday and opened most of it today. I looks nice. The condenser will not fit a winch truck, not sure about non-winch trucks, but overall it looks good.

yeager1

Looked at the kit a little more this morning, and the inside unit is BIG! But it is a heater and cooler, so the stock diverter will be pulled out. This unit will take up the whole area under the glove box, all the way over to and including where the stock diverter is now. It does look like it will fit though: it will require a few round holes be cut in the firewall as well as a 2”x4” square hole cut for water/refrigerant lines. Shouldn’t take up too much of the passenger’s floor space, as the height will still allow their feet to go under it.
As I mentioned before, the kit’s condenser will not fit, but they can be found for <$100.00. With condensers, does anyone know about unit sizing? Is bigger better, or does it need to be sized to match the application? How about parallel flow vs. serpentine flow? Here are 2 units that will fit, but I need more info before ordering.
Cross flow- http://www.nostalgicairparts.com/air-conditioning/14-x-18-aluminum-serpentine-condenser-26.php

Parallel- http://www.nostalgicairparts.com/air-conditioning/14-x-18-superflow-r-134a-condenser-49.php

FYI- you will ditch the entire stock heater setup, so you can plan on selling it for $100 bucks or so to offset the kit price.

jesusgatos

So this unit will fit under the dash? Hmmm. I've already got an AC unit in the M109 box, but this would save the the trouble of having to duct it fwd to the cab. If you've got any more, I'm interested and could pick it up in person.

Dieselsmoke

Just looking at the pics here, and the compressor seems to use V belts, while the idler pulley is for serpentine belt?

runk

If I remember the kit instructions properly, if you were installing it on the intended truck (the newer 7 tons the marines use, Oshkosh MTVR), the existing serpentine belt on the engine is replaced with a longer one (included in the kit) that goes around 1 or 2 new pulleys (also in the kit), one of which has a second sheave that drives the compressor with a v-belt (all in the kit).

Last edited:

zout

I have been posting some build pictures to date of installing this kit into Dinger65's m109 shop van - still working on it with the available time I have but I did not choose the under the dash - the box is 13 inches deep and so is the dash out from the firewall - so you can see where I placed it - just look up my thread going on the build - not hard to find.

Its not the only way or the best way - its just the way this one is getting installed.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be aware installing the A/C condenser in front of the M35 radiator has been proven to cause overheating of the truck in modeate weather. The condenser ought to be boxed with fans and mounted on the fender or perhaps underneath the chassis.

yeager1

installing the A/C condenser in front of the M35 radiator has been proven to cause overheating of the truck in modeate weather
I have heard this before, but I don't know who specifically has had this issue and why. My truck runs at 160 or less in 90-95 degree heat. I have a hard time beleiving that A/C will jump it past 200 degrees? Do you have more specifics?

Autocar

Dilvoy has sold all of his kits. I bought two(2) of them for a future project, but it looks like I won't need them. I will sell them for $300 each(same price as Dilvoy). They are still crated ready for shipment or pickup.

Autocar

I will be going to Tower Park sometime during the week of 9/20/10 and can bring these with me if anyone wants to pick one up.

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just doing some "Surfing" through the site and saw your add for A/C. I have a 71 deuce and live in Fla. Do you still have these for sale? if so, drop me a PM.
Thanks
DHennon

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks