• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A Different Kind of M109 Conversion

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Instead of making a camper out of my M109's, I'm taking a different tack. Mine will be rolling pantries for the kitchen trailer (AKA MKT-85), with a freezer, refrigerator, air conditioning, storage shelves and a small desk in the corner. I didn't take pictures when I started fixing things up, but here's what I've done so far.
1. The two rearmost windows were sealed over and inoperable - I've put insulation in them and will not restore their operation.
2. The Army had installed alternative wiring and some fluorescent lights, but used regular household (solid) three conductor wiring - it's out, replacing with stranded and rewiring the original lights.
3. Original lights are dim because the housings are metal finished - I've painted inside them with high temperature white paint and cleaned the glass covers (thanks to ZOUT for the extras). Pictures attached.
4. I'm painting the inside of the box with gloss white paint, as I have not been able to find any disease vectors on Google that are naturally gloss white.
5. There will be a new 115V power inlet (on order), then the wiring will be hooked together and have it inspected by a buddy that is a certified electrician.
6. The air conditioner will go in the hole the Army cut in the front of the box and a cover will be fabricated to go over and around it, mainly for travel, similar to what the Army had done on the S-250 shelter A/C.
7. Then the freezer, refrigerator, shelves, cabinets and small desk will be installed.
8. There will be a small 'platform' to hook on the bumperettes to go back to the MKT, so we will not have to go up and down ladders to move food out for cooking.

I'm planning on doing the conversions one truck at a time, since they are parked about 20 miles apart - I'm working on the one at home first.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shucks! I was hoping to find a taker for this one gallon of seafoam green paint I have! Since you already painted yours white.............

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a little more done - the wiring inside the box. Light switch right over the door with a plug to the side. That is where the extension cord will go. From there out the vent and over to the MKT to supply power for the lights and MBU's. Back at the front end another outlet to plug in the air conditioner. About 10 or 11 amps on that circuit. Other circuit goes around the wall with three outlets, one for the refrigerator, one for the freezer and a convenience outlet for the desk area.

Next step will be getting the frame for the air conditioner built and blocking up/insulating the rest of the hole in the front of the box. Have not decided on a travel cover for the A/C yet.

Then, on to the cabinets and installing the freezer and refrigerator. More pictures as work progresses.

Attachments

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny,
I expect it will as I already have the freezer and the bee..er, horizontal refrigerator that I used last year. Just need to add the desk, cabinets, A/C and shelving to have the inside complete. On the outside, I have to mount the new MARINCO outlet, rig the A/C cover, and get the RV plates (after the DOT inspection). I should have the spin on oil filters on it by Oct also. Some minor work on the box windows needs to be done if I'm not running the A/C.

Then I need to work on the second MKT trailer - the one that will be the cleanup sink/sanitation center. Always something to do!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you need anything that I have, let me know. I'd like to make a personal contribution to your efforts. I sincerely appreciate the effort that you have gone to provide us riff raffs with grub. I would hope that many of my friends here would extend a similar gesture. Need any pushrods?

Spook556

Have you considered CFLs, or even better, LEDs for your lights? I know they are more expensive, but they do last longer, and draw less as well.

Has anybody tried LED overheads in the 109?

Thanks!!!

Spook

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I'm not using LED's, I did paint the inside of the light housings with high temp white paint, which gives a lot more light into the box instead of being absorbed by the housing. But, incandescent bulbs are being phased out, so we may all switch to mercury bulbs or LED's one day.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Started on the frame for the air conditioner in the big hole the Guard put in the front of the box. Should get it welded up this week and try-fit the little Fridigaire unit (6500 BTU/hr). Then pack foam around it and skin the inside and outside with some sheet metal. I've picked out some cabinets but need to wait till the next cash infusion before the purchase.

Attachments

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the new power inlet in and installed on the first truck. It was cheaper to get an new inlet plug and power cable than to purchase the Crouse-Hinds cable end the Army uses. Ordered it from Wholesale Marine (a banner advertiser on this site - support the companies that support us - a shameless plug). Pics show the installed items.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Very good Mike. We all can't wait to see it in action in October.

Only 4 months away now :D

Woo hoo!

zout

Mike - unit is looking great:beer: be sure the beer dispensers are easy access so PB and I can just pull up in his golf kart and window order

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Mike - unit is looking great:beer: be sure the beer dispensers are easy access so PB and I can just pull up in his golf kart and window order
With Papa Bear we will have to make a keg mount in the M109 and plumb a tap out the side.....then ya'll can just pull up in the cart and drink straight from the spout.rofl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks